Life goes on - Winter 2018

What did your transmission do to make you so upset that you need to hold it hostage at gun point?

6 Likes

Hey Don , Go ahead and take your hat and coat off :grinning:

IMG_0734

8 Likes

Is that a 6 legged cow?

1 Like

Good morning Mr. Gibb

The 6 legged cows can get through the mud so much better vs the 4 legged .

7 Likes

I was thinking you grew em so big they needed an extra pair of legs to carry the weight:blush:

2 Likes

Some of you Southerners may want to put your coats on before scrolling to the pictures.
I aggravated my three herniated discs 3 weeks ago and was barely able to walk even with a cane. Doing better now after a few chiropractor appointments.
A neighbor came over to help me clear the snow off the sugar shack floor. We’ve had over 5’ so far this year and then a lot of sub zero weather. I’m banking on spring actually showing up this year. I hope to get the frame built and tin on the roof before starting to boil some maple syrup.
We are still waking up to -10F -23C but warming up to 20F -6C during the day. At 20 F I can start the skid steer without plugging it in. So there’s progress in the direction towards Spring.

14 Likes

sorry too here your back is giveing you trouble , wish you fast recovery, and an early spring. I couldent plow your emount of snow with my home made snow blower turned snow plow.my plow works best at under 8" so i plow twise in high gear.My older brother has had week disc in his body since teenager. still he likes too lift heavy stuff i wouldent.

6 Likes

I’m really not lookiing for empathy.
My point was I’m doing well and there are good people in this world to help when in need. It’s a great time to be alive.

8 Likes

Bill, I know exactly what you are going through in building the sugar shack. We did about the same thing during the winter of 1995:

Pete Stanaitis

6 Likes

Well l have something to contrast your chill inducing pictures. I have been pruneing apple trees and wine grapes when l stumbled upon one of my ladyes on its first work day of the year! Warmed my hearth :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Thank you Pete, for your Video. I have never seen all the hard work and prosses that goes into the wonderful maple syrup I enjoy eating.
Bob

2 Likes

Another butifull snow days, Happy hunting and farming bill. American Dream in progress.

1 Like

Is that a good sign Kristijan? Seems very early.

2 Likes

It is a good sign for the bees becouse they will get a head start with the colony. I wuld guess this event is about 2 weeks too early thugh.

But its a bad sign for nature.l allready saw willow flower and I even saw wild cherry buds starting to swell. Thats much too early. A sudden heavy March frost will kill all fruit crops.

7 Likes

Yeah, seems risky. I heard in Japan the famous cherry trees flowered in the fall. Here we are living the opposite, they are promising warmer weather, slightly below normal, but it’s minus 28 again this morning…

At least the sun is getting strong now, sometimes the dog doesn’t want to come in… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Went for a couple of DOW rides to the junk yard today.
With only daughters and both son-in-laws more of computer-type guys I’m forced to start getting rid of old junk. Two old boilers have been taking up space for almost 20 years. Nothing wrong with them really, but it’s time to realise they will never be used.

While properly dressed and still comfortable melting temp, I started splitting and stacking some firewood for next winter until dark caught me. Life goes on.

14 Likes

What is the green thingy in the last picture? I thought you split with an ax. That cord wood stacked against the wall makes a good insulation for the building. (It looks like a cord wood house out of Mother Earth. TomC

Haha, that’s a splitter, Mr Tom :smile: It’s an old screw-splitter, 5hp electric. I think I made video a couple years back. Probably in Wood Supply.
Back when I used shorter firewood I always split with an axe. Now with 20" logs they can be a little aggrievating.
Also, 20 years ago when our woodlots were rearranged, noone was allowed to do any felling during that time. I cut and axe-split 5 years worth of firewood in advance during a couple of weeks. Stupid. I was about 30 and still immortal. Hurt my neck and shoulder. I still suffer from it from time to time.
I still use the axe some, but most of the time I let the splitter do the work. You live and you learn.

7 Likes

Tom, but did you not notice the butyfull motor fuel in the cribs bebind the green thingy?

JO, thats a real cute spliter. Whats the max wood dia it can manage?
This firewood is for the stove right?

Kristijan, it can manage just about any wood dia, but it might stall occationally if the log is grumpy.

I think the pic is somewhat misleading. Those are 1/2m logs for the boiler and the stacking is 3m tall.
The cooking stove manages on short leftover odd pieces.

2 Likes