Life goes on - Winter 2018

Oh then the picture is wery missleading! Thank you.

Hi JO, I noticed your wood so nicely stacked up against the wall and is not covered, and there is not much of a over hang on the roof. Is that a rain gutter above the wood to keep the rain on the roof from soaking the wood when water comes off the roof? Is the wood wall facing south for the sun to dry it?
That is a nice wood splitter.
Bob

Bob, that’s the point - I don’t need to fuss with tin and tie it down. The overhang is several inches wider than the logs + gutter, and it’s a south wall. Any horisontal rain hitting the log wall dries out in no time.
I do this splitting/stacking procedure only with sturdy chainsaw material - logs too heavy to lift onto the bench of the circular saw. Anything liftable is conveyered straight from the saw, into the woodshed.

3 Likes

I would be willing to trade some of you northern boys some of this rain for a little snow . But only a very little .

IMG_0737

6 Likes

Dang I think that snow I sent must have melted on the way down there. We have another 6 inches tonight I will try to get a fan out again and send some more down…

The towns and cites around here have as much snow as they can stack in huge piles. Now they have come in with front end loaders and excavators and are loading the snow into truck to be hauled away. I’ll talk to a couple of truckers and see if they want to make a few loads down your way. Suppose to get up in the 30’s in the next couple of days, so then we will get your rain. What a sh— winter. TomC

Where is the the unlike button for you Tom. Here is a like thought for you. The snow will melt and soak into the ground and put moisture into the soil so you can go out and plant a garden in the warm sunshine. Okay maybe just skip the garden planting part. Warmer weather is just around the corner and Wamer sunshine.
Bob

Sorry Wayne, our snow only comes in 1 foot intervals :zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes

This what the people do in the North Eastern part of the country when it gets to 43 *f on a sunny day.

In Washington state we usually wait for a rainy day.
Bob

8 Likes

I almost took my hoodie off yesterday while shoveling snow at minus 5. Time to get working on the base tan, the sun is gaining strength… :smiley:

3 Likes

For all you guys who are missing out on the snow I figures I would let you see the view from my porch today.

The second one is from the shed entrance.

We are already over the 10 year avg I think it is and we have another 6 inches comming Sunday. Looks like it will be a record snow year here.

6 Likes

Hey Dan .

Here is a picture off my porch just now.

Rain ,rain and rain .

Cows have begin to graze the last couple of weeks :grinning:

IMG_0744

9 Likes

I would be willing to trade for the next month or 2 beyond that it would probably get too hot for me down there. Tried that in Tiawan I found out once you remove about so many cloths and your still hot the only thing left is to hide in the AC.
Before long we will hit the spring melt and I will have to trap my cows in the barn till mud season is over. I am surprised with all that rain your cows aren’t hip deep yet. Must be those extra 2 legs I will have to find some of those. Lol

4 Likes

Dan, that is starting to look a lot like spring. Oddly we are a bit like Wayne, two days of rain coming. I went for a walk to day but I didn’t think to take a photo. Pooh.

2 Likes

I will and my cows will be glad when the grass starts growing here they are walking around looking they have had about all the hay they wont this is a picture from my front porch on 2-7 and more to night .

6 Likes

You have some serious water flowing there you need your own water wheel to make electricity.

2 Likes

A water wheel here would be down the creek not good on those days I stay home I cannot get out

2 Likes

I am sure Jakob is posting his news on his own, But I have to say that we are very proud of him today and grateful to all of you who have helped him this year with advice. He fired his truck and put some miles on it on wood. Not bad for a 15 year old I would say., …And I will…haha. His next goal is to perfect it and hopefully get a muffler on the truck…(You will understand if he posts a video). And then drive to Argos with it. Thanks again, Billy

12 Likes

Hey Billy ,

WE all are proud of him !

6 Likes

Billy,

Muffler? you mean heat exchanger.

How is that young man doing that saved his brother from the wild dogs? I hope and pray that he is doing better.

2 Likes