Life goes on - Winter 2018

That is interesting I just assumed wrongly that is was a byproduct of the coal industry.

1 Like

55*f was today’s high the snow is melting and going away, spring has sprung.
Tried to fix the radiator on the Subaru Out Back it was leaking at the end cap. Took it out pinched the end cap tabs a little, put it back in and it stoped leaking until it built pressure and started to drip again. New radiator time. 208,000 plus miles not bad for a radiator.
Bob

4 Likes

Hi bob glad too here your getting some spring time weather there allso, I just ate a nother bowl of cerial made by clover vally from tennisee. got too take it back too store, its barf food.Any way i found that defect, Back too your superu, did you check for bubles in radiator from posible head gasket leak. ?

2 Likes

I did not see any bubbles in the radiator if it did build pressure it would release at the radiator pressure cap. Just a worn out radiator. At least I hope so.
Bob

If it’s a leak at the cap, that doesn’t indicate other problems in the system than a bad cap.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is the same scheme but there was a motor, in MEN, that was made out of propane bottles and arranged like a Ferris wheel. Worked on the AC principles. I could see one made with charcoal and water, but who has the time? Wish I did ! ! ! Thank God for charcoal/wood and 212cc clone engines, $99.00 with a coupon.

:star_struck: :star_struck:

4 Likes

There is a cool old kind of refrigerator called the icy ball that reminds me of what your saying because, its basicly two metal balls of ammonia and you heat one up and the other ball gets cold.

1 Like

Could allways be a bad cap, i had a lot of bad sealing radiator caps, i gess Bob Mac just flat out had leaky radiator.

2 Likes

I want to build the ammonia/hydrogen absorption refrigerator one day. It has no moving parts and can be powered with any heat sorce. As much as wuld like to have self made electricity at home, l like solutions not involveing wires even more.

5 Likes

My first old camping trailer 1958 had a small frigerator in it . It used ammonia with a gas flame heat pot. It had no problem freezing ice in the ice trays. I think they outlawed using ammonia gas in the united states.
Bob

1 Like

Can’t butane accomplish the same cycle? Over here older RV or camper trailer refrigerators were often purely thermal.

You mean as a heating gas or work cycle gas (in the system?

1 Like

There are thermal cycle refrigerators that use something like propane isobutane mix. No moving parts, just a pilot light to drive the cycle.

How about water and activated charcoal?

Not sure Jeff how that would work. Can you explain it?
Bob

Those gas powered refrigerators are insanely expensive to buy and operate now it is far cheaper to buy solar panels and an electric one. My uncle just sold a used gas refrigerator for more then his new electric one and it was about 15 years old.

2 Likes

Those old refrigerators might be pretty sweet running on charcoal or wood gas though. And could theoretically never fail, so a gift to the post apocalypse generations.

They fail when they develop a leak

2 Likes

I second that. I converted a little chest freezer into a fridge with an external thermostat - and it works great. The extra insulation and simple fact that the cold air doesnt fall out each time you open the door lets it run on very little power. In the winter I use maybe 100 wh/day, which maybe doubles in the summer when its hot inside. They make special DC fridges that are also very insulated, but they are much more expensive.

4 Likes

Hi Bob,

It has been some time since I looked at Mr. Icy Ball. It might go a bit like this.

Two propane bottles piped together. One filled with activated charcoal and just saturated with water (tank A). Tank B might be empty at this point. The rig might be under vacuum or pressure, can’t remember (chemo brain and old age :grin:). Heat tank A until all the water condenses into tank B, thermo battery. Allow to thermally normalize. Oh, maybe vacuum because now tank A will (fingers crossed) absorb the water from tank B thus cooling tank B and heating tank A. Could we make an engine with this Mr. Bob?

2 Likes