Life goes on - Winter 2018

Mother nature has not been good to us here in Nebraska. We had a lot of snow on the ground for us . Then the storm came blizzards out west rain here melting the snow overflowing rivers, taking out levies busting a dam which took out a bridge. It’s calving season. Bridge was on one of our important north south roads. Numerous communities isolated one pilot from church is involved with flying supplies to places where the airport is still open. It’s calving season.

Pictures of livestock standing on whatever high ground they can find surrounded by floodwaters. Rescuers in air boats getting flipped and needing rescued themselves. It’s calving season.

People with stock trailers and trucks hauling people with waders in to areas that they can get to and rounding critters up and getting them to safety. Regional grocery chain donating 100 thousands of bottled water and whatever needed to get thru this. Of course it’s the usual neighbor helping neighbor, stranger helping stranger just because they can. Doers not waiting but making stuff happen. It’s calving season.

8 Likes

Kristijan, birch makes good syrup as a flavor enhancer for meat.
Make sure you don’t let it go over 190F- 88C

3 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom .

Real sorry to hear about the flooding . Hope you and your family are safe . :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Here we go. First couple of baches. Thats about 10 gal of sap simering on the wood stove. Fingers crossed. I put a fan next to the pots to speed evaporation and thus keep the temp down.

6 Likes

If I recall, you need roughly 90L of sap to make one of syrup.

It will be an interesting project, the syrup seems to be highly valued.

1 Like

Tom, It always amazing how people will help each other in times of trouble. They just realize they are all in need of help and start helping one another with selfless Love not expecting anything in return for gain. Everyone being blessed by one another.
Bob

3 Likes

Google says 100-150 :unamused: but thats ok. We eat pancakes with marmelade or lemon juice anyways :smile: its the meat marinade l am after. One liter shuld be plenty or a couple of big family meals of crispy sweet chickhen of pork ribs.

I am amazed how similar the smell and taste of boiling sap is to coconut water! The whole howse smells like a tropical island, l did not expect that!

5 Likes

Tom, what Wayne and Bob said plus one more. And it sucks that every year it gets worse!

4 Likes

Thanks guys me and mine are all safe. The worse I have to put up with is the mud just no bottom in the ground for now. Just gets to me to see all the living things suffering now. It’s been almost 40 years since I have sat a horse and moved cattle. I still stop and take a long look at a new born calf.
Loss of human life is low as far as I know 4. 1 fell into the water checking levy. 1 elderly woman couldn’t escape her home and rescue workers held back by fast water and 60 mph winds. 2 drove around barricades.

3 Likes

Here we go guys, the experimental small bach. Wife let it evaporate a bit too much, now its denser thain honey :smile:

Only 2 table spoons or so, but man this stuff is good. Wery flavorfull. I can defenetly see this with meat. And allso, the taste and smell reminded me a bit of beer mash before the hops go in, so l washed the pan with a liter of fresh sap, added a pinch of yeast and capped off. I am curious to what comes out of this.

9 Likes

16 Likes

Seems like a mistake you only make once.

3 Likes

Experience can be a hard lesson

3 Likes

You can make wine from birch sap too…

2 Likes

Kristijan, that looks beautiful.
Maybe I’ll bring some to Argos this year for the grill.

3 Likes

Gas took a price jump here in my corner of the world. I bet there will be an renewed interest in wood gas.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if the gas prices all go up across the US. Every year in the spring around here it has been going up a few cents every year with out fail. The powers to be in the gas pricing world knows what happens when you jump it up like they did in 2008. Recession time for the US again, businesses close down, housing market drops, people quit buying cars, prices on everything go up, people stop traveling. So they just increase it a little at a time now, so no one will notice, Right. Drive on wood people do.
The higher the gas prices go, the more people will take a serious look at DOW and just decide to do it. At least the charcoal gasification side of it, for smaller to midsize vehicles. This is why it is so important for charcoal gasification to be refined even more.
No welding construction or very little is great. Stealth building, safely.
Off the self parts building.
Also the making of charcoal. Mixing wood with charcoal as fuel, in down draft gasifier.
The more we can get the word out every where the better it will be for everyone in the world.
I think this year’s Argos Event will be a Key turning point for the World Of Gasification. If you have been thinking that you should May Be go. Just remove the ( may be) a and just go. You will not be disappointed, I have never heard anyone say they were disappointed in what they saw and learned at one of these events. With being a day longer I know it will even better.
People coming from other place of the world. It is now a international event.
“DOW The Buck Stops Here”
Bob

7 Likes

Bob they where saying on NPR this morning that nation wide the price of gas is up 27 cents a gallon this spring the north east is actually behind we are only up 7 cents and we are usually one of the highest to swing. I figured it will go up a lot this year because there are no elections. If you look back over the trends of gas prices you definitely see the seasonal swings but you also see a 4 year cycle where the politicans regardless of their party try to make the price low for their re election campaign. It is one of those things I always found odd because I never considered the price of fuel when I went to vote so it just struck me as odd a few years ago when someone mentioned it and I checked to see if he was correct.

4 Likes

Bob, You are putting a lot of pressure on one small event! I guess we Hoosiers can handle it, with help from all of you! :smiley:

2 Likes

Can’t help sharing a sweet pic of our late Svante, from last summer in the Norwegian mountains.

13 Likes