Life goes on - Winter 2018

J.O. : Contest winning photo! Someone has a very good eye! Sorry about your loss, pets are indeed part of the family.

6 Likes

I heard there proposing a ridiculous gas tax hike in Michigan??

1 Like

Yea Kevin they do it all the time and we never get anything for it .Just makes me sick because its so uncalled for.

1 Like

Don, I am especially concerned about the gloves. He could get a splinter.

procreation of the fittest I suppose.

2 Likes

Dan, I’ll take the occasional brush with the winds to avoid the perpetual shivering.

3 Likes

Meh,

That’s what proper boots and jackets are good for. Besides, a good part of the year is long days, and good weather, like money in the bank. :wink:

3 Likes

Yup I have always said I can put on another layer in the winter but once it gets up to 100f you can only take off so much and it is still hot. I find the cold is much easier to deal with between cloths and an good wood stove your all set.

2 Likes

At least where I live, when it gets up to 100 in the day, it is usually still like 70 in the morning - so I can get up a few hours early and get stuff done while it is cool, then drink beer in the shade :sunglasses: Its hard to enjoy it if the beer freezes solid. (I am really looking forward to summer, myself)

I will say that I do like it when it is “cold” and clear here in Oregon (which happens about 2 weeks out of the year), but the coldest I have ever seen it was only like 9 F, and usually a cold spell is in the mid 20s. I think we can all agree though that the most miserable weather to be out trying to work in is 34 degrees and pouring rain.

4 Likes

Thank you Mike,
Again, it’s son-in-law who deserves the credit.
Personally I like @don_mannes chainsaw man :smile:

2 Likes

I would agree working in the pouring rain sucks regardless of the temperature. Infact I would much rather work in a whiteout snow storm I can just brush the snow off my coat and hat when I go inside.

7 Likes

Hard to ensure a truly frosty beer when it’s hot out, not an issue below freezing… :smiley:

2 Likes

That is how the chain brake is tested. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yup,It’s easy, nuttin to it :zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes

We made a first bach of birch syrup yesterday. I find the taste interasting, but wife doesent like it. But when we marinated trout files last night with salt, pepper and birch syrup, we were both AMAZED with the taste. What a treat!

9 Likes

Sounds close to our experience here. My wife wasn’t a fan of the results until I put it on some pork chops. She was then amazed.

5 Likes

Hey DonM,
good pointing all of these “Outch! getcha’s” out.
Too me seeing him on the WRONG: biting/shredding/make-bleed side of the handguard cranking to start up is horrifying.
Holding that saw back-ass-wards . . . oh . . . my . . .
Common-sense is a learned attribute.
Been lots and lots of early-Spring yards-into-houses and forests fires here in our five county west Columbia River Gorge area.
35mph+ gusty spring front inland outflow winds; impatient yards-cleaner-up winter debris burner-dumb-assed folks are a poor mix.
Uncommonly poor sense.
Grid electric heating, and central propane heating does not teach fire-combustion’s common-senses.
Wood stoving, woodgasing and charcoalteering does.
S.U.

7 Likes

Hey Steve,
Good to hear you’re back in style.
Pepe

5 Likes

Fire officials later confirmed the blaze started with a burn pile that got out of control.
The North Maple Fire was estimated to have burned up to 40 acres by Wednesday night and was threatening homes and structures. No homes had been lost but several sheds were destroyed.
In Clark County, fire crews were called to four different wildland fires on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Clark County Fire District 3 said the fires were also linked to high east winds and dry conditions.
Landowners are urged to not burn in windy conditions.

2 Likes

Had to upgrade the birch syrup buisness

The boiling is much faster in this 60l wood fired pig pot. Next year l am uilding a evaporator for sure.

Big day yesterday, after years of trying l finaly raised a flock of my own broiler layer hens and breeding roosters. Its a dificult proces becouse their apetit has no limits and they get so fat they mostly get hearth atacks till they start to breed. Or roosters get to fat for their job :wink: Started geting first eggs about a month ago.

I put a sample of them under a broody Turkish hen and look what came squeeking out yesterday!

The 46 egg incubator is heating up as l type :slight_smile:

20 Likes

As usual, you amaze me with your knowledge and your ‘‘get’r done’’ attitude.TomC

2 Likes