Life goes on - Winter 2018

What are Luthier classes?

Flipping a guitar is just not the same. Jimmy was a freak of nature to begin with:) Im going from 30 years playing right hand. I flipped my LP, the nut is not cut for inverted strings, the intonation is all off and it just does not feel right. Besides the cut out is also flipped and I use the full range of the neck.

I will need my right hand left alone to retrain / wire me brain to play left. You would think you can automatically mirror chords and things but it just dont work that way. At least not me brain lol. I need to play it right hand first than learn to play it left.

Jimi wasn’t a freak of nature!! He had long long fingers and maybe six of them… :slight_smile:

It would take me a while to retrain my brain… I would have gotten a cheap guitar and hacked it, You are building one instead. I really would have thought you would have gone with a steel body though… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This kit you can get for just $160 bucks, this is complete other than putting it together. Plus it is a fun project, I would encourage anyone to build a guitar its really not that hard. You simply glue the neck in and clamp it. finish is up to you and then set up. Learning to properly set up a guitar is a must for any guitarist.

I dont think I could find a cheap guitar I could hack that I would be willing to play. It must have high output humbuckers and I can not stand anything made by Fender, Gibson yeah not going to find one cheap. The point of the build is build a nice guitar that will last me a life time made for left playing. If it looks like a nice instrument Ill be more inclined to want to play it. Transitioning is difficult because you are back to square one starting all over again. You want to be able to play like you would righty but you just simply can’t.

3 Likes

WHAT A SHOT !

Yesterday morning this coyote was at a full run and my son was standing on the front porch of the house (seen in the background about a quarter mile )

The coyote look like a dot at that distance !

IMG_0811IMG_0813

13 Likes

Now that’s a shot! The bullet would have arrived a good while before the sound.

Reminds me of the old phone commercial, “reach out and touch someone”… :wink: An example of the perfect tool for the job, well applied.

3 Likes

Wow, I’ll show our hunting daughter. She may have some practising to do :smile:
Several sunny weeks, close to 70F and buds bursted. Today it’s snowing and around freezing. I hope it’s our last snow.
Tradition is @Chris turns the “Life goes on” page. That might help our weather gods getting on the right track again :smile:

4 Likes

Honestly I might play better as a lefty. :slight_smile: I didn’t know they sold kits that cheap either. It is pretty nice looking.

3 Likes

Here is the link to the guitar kit I have. I believe this is either a copy or is built from original plans of the Epiphone DC Pro. Gibson originally offered this DC body in the early to mid 80’s under a different model. It is not a Les Paul dual cut. It was only offered for a year or two and then later was re released in the mid 90’s and again only offered for a few years. Epiphone has released a 2019 model as the DC Pro only right hand available.

You may see this kit as a knock off of a PRS, however it is Gibson body that the PRS was inspired by.

https://www.bargainmusician.com/inc/sdetail/gk_005_diy_guitar_kit/116/372

Epiphone DC Pro

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/DC-PRO.aspx

1 Like

Yeah just glue it together and build it. Yeah Ooopys!! I made an assumption that the neck and body socket was pre cut to be the rigth length from nut to bridge. Nope should have read the directions first that I found later in the box. I spent hours working on that finish, staining, sanding, hand rubbing and polishing that thing and finally it looked beautiful!!

Alright I can finally put this thing together!! Then noticed the pocket for the bridge pick up, it was way too small. Ughoohh!! Got the directions out and yup; you have to measure before clamping in place.

So I got a pot of water boiling on the stove and set the guitar up over top. Took about 30 minutes and I was able to pry it out of there. Messed up the finish pretty good, but nothing wet sanding could not fix.

So I wet sanded it all down and re glued the neck in place correctly this time last night. Just put what I think will be the final coat on just now. It will actually turn out nicer than before as this thing has been sanded smooth.

1 Like

Well here it is, all buffed out and set up. I had a great deal of fun building this guitar and learned great deal. I am considering a new part time start up building these custom :fire:

9 Likes

Good shot, caint beat long guns for distance,i never tried shooting much over 150 feet with my 12 gauge shot gun,that was pretty acurate on withing a few inches, the cheap carry pistal i bought is hard too hit a target at 25 feet if im lucky, i havent done any classes yet, though i know i wouldent atempt less than 25 feet away, good close up tool around the house range.

2 Likes

This is a little off topic, but for tonight’s dinner are burgers made by a brick rocket stove, took a couple minutes placing the bricks but after that a little wood cooks a lot of food! Just used about 20 bricks, Here’s some pictures,

17 Likes

OH NO!!! You took the Pete Townsend guitar player class?!?! It looks gorgeous btw. :slight_smile: How does it sound?

I was not expecting much from the stock pick ups. However, this guitar blows away my 2014 Less Paul Standard. This was a $750.00 guitar new back in '14.

The set up dialed right in, the only issue is the nut needs to be cut. I have a file set on order and will address that when those come in. The action on this guitar is amazing and it sounds great!! Now I just have to learn to play left handed. Should get there in another 25 years of playing, video coming… well never mind may never be a video. lol

2 Likes

Sorry I haven’t been on for a while. Jakob has been busy finishing his truck in preparation for Argos. Also, we are preparing for another program season.
I have been nursing a bad back. Finally got to a doctor and an MRI. Below you can see the disk bulging into my nerves and making my leg feel like it’s in a vice and on fire, being stabbed with knives, and hit with several hammers. (Not to over state anything)
Also a cabbage and peas I got to pick this morning as I was able to get out of bed today. first time in quite a while. We got 5 gallons of snow peas and about 7 gallons of sugar snaps.
Lots and lots of pain. And side effects from the drugs. Not much fun. May 15th I have an appointment to get a steroid injection in my spine. That sounds fun…but anything at this point to take away the pain would be welcome. Still hoping to make Argos. Appreciate prayers.

Gardens are doing quite well too.

image billy spine mri 2019DSCN9729DSCN9732DSCN9779DSCN9780

Also, we did a clean-out of a maintenance room of a shopping mall over in Atlanta a couple weeks ago. Ended up with a bunch of stuff I need to sell. There are 4 electric motors. The small one is brand new in the box. The others are believed to be rebuilt spares for the machine/chiller room. One of them still has the tag on it from the re-builder. The mall is doing a complete remodel and wanted to clear it all out. We found it on Craigslist. Also got an electric man lift that works, a truck load of ceramic tile, a hundred gallons of good paint, a big steel/pipe pile, and a whole bunch of scrap refrigerant. I didn’t realize that R-11 would bring $8.00/lb.

Also, there are a couple of big valves, and some oils. Especially 2 new 5-gallon buckets of synthetic Mobil as shown.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in any of these motors, I don’t need to get rich off of them. I just need to pay for back treatment. LOL. I don’t have any prices figured out. If you are interested, let’s talk. I think they are 1.5 hp, 25 hp, 40 hp, and 125 hp 3 phase respectively. The green valve is new. The 8" valve is not. The refrigeration oil is about half full.

DSCN9776
DSCN9771DSCN9760DSCN9758DSCN9761DSCN9762DSCN9763DSCN9764DSCN9765DSCN9767DSCN9768DSCN9757DSCN9756DSCN9755DSCN9754DSCN9745DSCN9744

Also, Koen, I see ya’ll have a new king. Congradulations,…I guess. :blush:

10 Likes

Not sure I really wanted to hit the like button on that one. Sorry to hear about your back that doesn’t sound good at all. I do have two random thoughts on it. First will sound weird. I had a friend who had massive back pain issues similar story they told him he might need surgery but he found a really good chiropractor who took x Ray’s and spent about 6 months I think it was doing minor adjustments every other week at the end of it he went from being hunched over like an 80 year old to running around like a 20 year old. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen if with my own eyes. My uncle has a disk issue that he went to therapy for sounds almost like the same pain you get he said it got so bad standing at work that his knee just gave out under him and he almost fell before he went to get it looked at. The doctor up here put him in physical therapy and over the winter he got so he is able to get around with little to no pain he is in his late 60s and still saws and splits his fire wood so I would say they did alright without surgery on him. Hope you are able to avoid surgery.
The other really crazy sounding thing. You might want to look into getting some CBD oil. It is the pain killer extracted from hemp. I have really bad chronic arthritis pain nothing has really helped with it since I was a teenager. About 2 weeks ago I guess I finally broke down and decided I had read enough and wanted to try some CBD oil so I ordered it. I know many people who think pot is great but I don’t want the psychotic side effects. Anyway I noticed a lack of pain with the CBD oil the second day I guess I didn’t even think of it the other day and when the end of the day rolled around I was in pain again and couldn’t figure out why until I realized it had been a couple of days since I took any. It sure does seem to help with my pain and I can’t see any other side effects. I hate pain killers in general because I don’t like then making me groggy this doesn’t do anything like that. I honestly haven’t noticed anything except that most of my pain is gone. I don’t try to get rid of all of it just enough so I can do what I want or need.
This is where I ordered from.
https://medterracbd.com/category-cbd.asp?clx=2245403&r=&affid=&d=category-cbd

4 Likes

Hey J.O we just finally transitioned to warmer days, clear skys and low humidity. Stuck now in a regional high pressure bubble.
Plants killing frost every night from the clear sky’s energy bleed outs. Lots of leaf buds popped killed back from this.
Woodheat still needed 03-0400 until 10:00.
S.U.

3 Likes

Howdy,
I’ve learned alot from this guy… I wouldn’t consider surgery with out seeing some of his videos first, I live in Canada where they make lots O’ money doing un-necessary procedures it’s criminal hope ya find these vids helpful.

3 Likes

We lost most of our white ash about 40 years ago from that late frost problem.

Pete Stanaitis