Life goes on - Winter 2018

Amazing how the noses resemble each other.
Might need to get my eyes examination sooner than later. Just saying:blush:

4 Likes

Probably the last batch of chunking this season. All storages are full. Ready for hibernation.

18 Likes

Nice JO, you have your winter supply in under cover. Good job.
Bob

3 Likes

That coppice birch sure is a productive system. How many years was it since the electric utility cleared the corridor?

1 Like

Thanks Bob,
Unfortunately this last batch won’t be drying much until spring anyway. It’s just so much easier to shovel from the trailer than from the ground. Saves your back. Chunks and shovel are lightweight but my belly is getting heavier every year :smile:

@taitgarry00 Yes, it’s very productive. They clear it every 6-8 years or so. I’ve chunked and stored away 5,000km worth of motorfuel from only a 100m stretch of the corridor this fall. Didn’t fire up the chainsaw once :grin:

14 Likes

Wishing everyone a good and happy Thanksgiving :grinning:

13 Likes

Thank you, Wayne, and a happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and to all our friends on DOW. We certainly
don’t have to look far to see how blessed we are.
Pepe

8 Likes

Ha, what coincidence. Yesterday l butchered my wery first homegrown turkey, not having a clue its Thanksgiving across the pond :smile: althugh its turkey stew instead of roasted turkey here for diner :slight_smile:

Happy Thanksgiving!

9 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had turkey stew, but if it’s anything like chicken
fricassee, it’s got to be delicious!

3 Likes

To tell you the truth its the first time l ever eaven ate turkey (exept breastmeat a couple of times). Meat is tasty but tough. Wife made a ragu yesterday with legmeat and it was tough/colagenous. Like boiled pig skin. I let the rest hang for a nother day but wife reports eaven the stew meat was tough (l am at work so l hadnt yet tasted it). I find this odd since the bird was fairly young. Any experiances from you guys?

Oh, the turkeys do freerange so perhaps thats a factor?

3 Likes

Turkey legs have a bunch of hard tendons / sinew bands, as you find in partridge / grouse. The legs are probably best roasted or boiled whole, then the meat picked apart.

The thinner free range kinds of turkeys are probably all tougher by nature. Wild turkey is quite tasty, but a good case for roasting.

4 Likes

Enjoy the holidays! :star_struck::grinning::sunglasses::rofl:

4 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving all, Thankful for all I have, we should have thanksgiving every day!

8 Likes

We have baked wild turkey in baking bags, best turkey we ever had. This year we are going to try deep frying one(not wild).

4 Likes

Well the best Turkey I have ever had was when someone boiled it in oil. The deep frying method that idiots mess up by over filling the oil then dropping the Turkey in making a fire ball. Well when done right that is one yummy turkey.

3 Likes

Boiled in oil. Thatslike frying at low temp? I do a similar thing with pork, a french thing called rilettes. Slowly cook pork cubes in fat for about 4 hours till they fall apart, then fill in jars and freeze. Its a fantastic spread on bread.

5 Likes

I honestly thought it was a fast process with the Turkey but I haven’t tried it. I can tell you it keeps them really juicy.
The pork sounds really good.

3 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Let us keep this thankfulness in our hearts year around.
Bob

10 Likes

Well it was a nice but small Thanksgiving here. My uncle and nephew where here. We had a chicken because it didn’t make since to cook a Turkey for 3 people and a bunch of vegetables. But it was a nice relaxing day and everyone got along without any drama. To be honest it was nicer then many of the Thanksgiving in the past where there where 18 or more people here and always someone arguing with someone else.
Hope everyone else had a nice holiday and that we all take a moment to remember what we are grateful for on days like this.

8 Likes

It is 04:45 pm and It has just started to snow, we are having a white Thanksgiving after all. Jingle bells jingle bells … The kids are outside catching snow flakes on their tongues.
Bob

5 Likes