Life goes on - Winter 2018

That Ford is 63 years old with NO rust.
Ford Motor company was recently downgraded to just one notch above junk-bond status. GM is scurrying like mad to avoid suffering the same fate. They probably spent all their money buying salt for the road crews. :grinning:
That Chevy is rust-free and, I put undercoat everywhere.
Here is a public service anouncement. It’s flu season.
https://www.collective-evolution.com/2018/11/27/after-getting-flu-shot-new-york-state-senator-gets-sick-for-two-weeks-then-dies/

1 Like

Here’s my public service announcement. Since there are NO live virus in a flu shot, it is IMPOSSIBLE to contract the flu from the shot!

I have gotten the flu shot every year for about 25, and seem to get sick less.

It sounds like the poor senator should have gotten his shot early, and maybe he wouldn’t have contracted the flu in some public place. Flu can kill, no joke. And even if it doesn’t kill the non immunized, it will just keep spreading till it does find an old person, or a child, or someone weak for other reasons.

Vaccines raised North American life expectancy 20 years. More than clean water, and cancer treatment. The greatest gift of science to mankind.

5 Likes

The flu shot allows you to build up anti bodies to the flu variations most likely to hit that year as included in that years vaccine and chosen 9 months earlier. Its takes a few weeks to build up those anti bodies. The senator either contracted a strain not covered or got it too late to help him. I’m sure none of that will matter as your source article is from a known anti vaxer site.

4 Likes

Not believing in vaccines just blows me away.

A woman I knew as a kid died of the flu about 8 years ago. She left 2 young children and a husband behind. She got sick, and then far sicker. It had just the perfect combination to wipe her out. There is a significant link between heart attacks and the flu in men. But usually they die a while after the flu, so it’s generally not recognized as the cause.

The anti vaxxers make no sense. They like to claim their little Johnny is stronger for not being vaccinated. That’s an absurd notion, as they have no antibodies, until maybe they run into real measles or whooping cough, and possibly die, or end up sterile or brain damaged.

In some areas you aren’t allowed to enrol kids in school unless shots are up to date.

3 Likes

I will not debate this here. You probable already know that the U.S. vaccine court has awarded $3.6 billion for damages from vaccinations

5 Likes

The last I’ll say on this topic - take a walk through an old cemetery. One major thing different from a modern cemetery. Lots of children’s graves. Diptheria, mumps, polio, whooping cough, scarlet fever. Things that sound like legends now took people’s little children far too regularly. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. We have been blessed to live in a changed world due to simple shots in the arm.

If an antivaxxer wants a real immune challenge to sort out the weak, lets bring back some smallpox. Oh, wait, smallpox was wiped out by the vaccine. And all of us of a certain age have the scar to show for it. One of mankind’s worst and oldest plagues gone forever due to a scratch on the shoulder.

1 Like

The silver bullet you claim has kept vaccination possible in the US as nuisance lawsuits would have forced them out. Its a piece of anti vaxer rhetoric and the ultimate mic drop statement. Complications from vaccines resulting in a claim are approx 1 per million doses of vaccine administered… Acceptable odds but tragic for those people thus the compensation system wisely established.

2 Likes

now before this escalates I will stop and apologies to chris who hates when these things happen…
cheers, David

2 Likes

More likely is he already had something wrong with him when he got the shot.

That being said there is like a 1 in 5,000,000 chance of something bad happening with a flu shot.

If you go back to like the early 70s, the risk was far higher as sterilization wasn’t as good. A lot of the anti-vaxxer stuff is just repeating information based on facts from like pre-70s when the risk was like 1 in 300,000.

3 Likes

Brrr… below zero in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
Kitchen cooking stove runs like a rocket. The small slab stickers were about to fly out the chimney…well, almost…and my breakfast oatmeal porridge was ready in no time.

In a way, days like these are luxury. Having days off in the middle of the week, too cold outside to get anything done and no nagging - wife at work.
I think I’ll go down for a while, sit by the boiler and chop some chunks while I listen to the news.
By the time I get up the sun might be up too.

10 Likes

Sitting by the boiler is a great idea. I have seen those days when you can’t seem to keep the wood in a cook stove. I remember as a kid walking into the kitchen and seeing oven door open you knew that was a bad sign as it ment you would freeze when you walked out the door.
Fortunately we are sticking right about freezing today it is 0C here right now and I have about a foot of snow to plow out.
Good luck keeping warm.

4 Likes

I get the flu shot. So far no brain damage… :thinking:

2 Likes

Well, not to throw any fuel on the vaccine debate…
So I’ll throw out a light hearted poke at the cost of yellow fever shots.

There are apparently only two companies that make the vaccine. One US and one French. Each shot is different in how it works as I understand it, but both qualify for international travel to most countries.
Apparently the French one is the only one in the world available this year and it costs $600.00 each instead of the standard $65-$95 for the American one. Also, it’s hard to find. Erika and I had to drive all the way down to Mobile and stay over night to even get one.

Also, the French one was not approved by the FDA here int he US so we had to go through a mountain of paperwork to sign up for an “experimental drug trial” in order to get it at all.
Go figure.

I never did hear why the American one was off the market. I think it was a problem with a recall.

Also, I have been looking into vaccines again since I am considering going back to school for a semester to get an EMT certificate. All the shots, and fees, and “stuff” costs more than the tuition. I have an offer to get it paid for through the AL Assn. of Rescue Squads. I don’t think I’ve had any shots since my Army days.

3 Likes

Vaccine discussion ends here.

Next topic.

10 Likes

Who has been in their truck or car driving on wood lately besides Wayne and JO?
Or just running a gasifier for generation or small equipment?
Lets hear from you.
Bob

1 Like

Hello Bob .

Out of the last year I am thinking about 360 days on wood :grinning:

7 Likes

Sorry! Only about 350. I don’t get out much :smile:

6 Likes

I’m going to get in my truck and go find a barn that I can park my truck behind it. I am going to have to more then triple my fuel processing to even be halfway to where you two are driving on wood.
But at least I can say, a quote from Wayne, Driving On Wood is a lot of fun.
Bob

2 Likes

Thats a good kick. I dont even have the car ready to drive on petrol :smile: l sure miss DOW… its been more thain 6 months since l did. Dreams nit included :smile:

6 Likes

Ouch! I got a yellow fever vaccination for free back in the 80s through the public health office. It was probably only a few bucks then anyways.

2 Likes