Life goes on - Winter 2018

I take the wife out to breakfast every Saturday or Sunday, then sometimes a shopping trip to the Goodwill so 15 to 30 miles every week.
About once per month get in a 50+ mile trip

I will. Mostly retire again by end of December and will get serious about DOW and plan to copy and vastly improve on the air carbon fuel cell.
LOL. But seriously copying your design is the best sort of compliment.

5 Likes

I don’t know how many days a year i have drove my wood truck, but whenever i go i am driving my wood truck at least 99% of the time. It has been my daily driver from the first-time i fired it up on wood. That’s been over 23000 miles ago.

10 Likes

Thanks Chris.
I thought I was going to have to put up a picture of my pigs or chickens to change the subject.

7 Likes

The little Rabbit gasifier has been sittning in the garage for a while. It’s waiting for a suitable vehicle to show up. Green or black - that’s the question…

Edit: The green one looks big only because it’s closer to the camera.

5 Likes

Looks like a good match to me…

4 Likes

I vote for the GREEN! You have experience with small engines. You just have to talk to Kristijan to learn to put it all in a small package without a truck bed. Don’t make the mistake I did and picked a full size truck with a small engine. No matter what I do to the system, I will never get it to run with the Dodge V8. Every time someone posts something that I think will improve mine, I tare mine down and modify it. Consequently I spend way to much time working on mine and not near enough time driving it.,
I have finally gotten to work in my new shop. I bought a propane heater, and it is costing me about $2 an hour to heat. With the lay out of my new shop, I would like to install a wood heater, but can’t figure how to put in a chimney. As soon as I get the actual “gasifier” part revamped then I will have to move out into the larger shop where the truck is with no heat. That will mean working in my "bomb proof suit. TomC

7 Likes

I hate black for a car because dirt shows up really easily. However, even as big as that green car looks, I don’t fit in small japanese cars. However, the black 1.6l turbo I had that I could barely squeeze into was a fun car, except the acceleration and mileage dropped in half with a second passenger or two bags of groceries. It was -scary- to drive in icy conditions, but it was absolutely fun to drive with the top down, and got 30+mpg. Otherwise it was totally useless.

4 Likes

Punch a hole through the roof, install a flashing?

1 Like

Aha!! I knew its not gonna be long :smile: l vote green.

For some reason the link doesent work?

Anyway, didnt Max gasify a Micra?

4 Likes

Kristian,
Slow slow now, I was only checking out ads from couch position. No gasifier was ever installed that way.
I just thoght the Micra looked funny next to the Dodge monster :smile:

4 Likes

Now that makes for rapid progress :smile:

4 Likes

The discipline of fossil fuels. Now just imagine in 10 or 20 years if that triples, or more…

2 Likes

Already three times more expensive over here.
Riots in France right now, since prices are up another 15% resently.
We’re all very privileged on this site to have wood as our main interest :smile:

8 Likes

I’ve been watching. And taking note. Europe reached peak oil production in 2000. And down from that peak by 50% over the following 13 years. Roughly a 13% annual decline in production. That’s a scary figure against the Chicago school of business model of endless growth. Particularly when considering the true economic relation between energy and economic growth, 10x the standard model, proven by Robert Ayres, though generally suppressed.

The rest of the world appears to be top of the peak presently.

Time to hone up the DOW skills. The best time to have a skill is before you truly need it.

10 Likes

You probably have to pull a permit from your city or township, and you will have to notify your insurance agent as to the change in the structure if it is insured, or else your whole structure won’t be covered even if it is insured. It is a huge reason why outdoor wood boilers are popular since they don’t have to be insured with the rest of the house. In fact I am guessing most of them aren’t insured at all. Inside an insured building it will raise the insurance rates, in fact I would check how much before you proceed.

Otherwise it is simply cut a hole through and run a pipe up. I have seen them do it with chainsaws through metal roots.

2 Likes

Agreed. Here with the cheapest hydro in North America it’s probably more economical to improve insulation than pay what the insurance agency and planning authority want.

Or, proceed at one’s own risk. But I know I have more money in tools and equipment than household goods. Stuff adds up fast.

1 Like

$12,000 boiler empyre pro series model 400 phase 2 wood gasifier
$8,000 install
Kept original propane boiler

You should look at the air to air heat pumps they are rapidly becoming the cheapest form of heating. They also make hot water heaters that use the same technology. Just the first one in a Google search.

I am pretty sure when it comes to insurance your pretty much at your own risk anyway. Have you ever tried to file a claim the one time I did I almost needed to hire a lawyer before they paid. I did have to threaten to take them to the state bureau of investigation over it. Don’t remember the name of the agency at the state off the top of my head. But it wasn’t until I threatened that action that all the sudden they realized my claim was covered.

2 Likes

The problem with air to air heat pumps is that under 20 degrees F the efficiency goes down fast.

8 Likes