Life goes on - Winter 2018

In the winter at that temperature and lower the heat strips come on and you are now more like forced air electric heating, but still cheaper than straight electric heating. My parents put this in their home many years ago, and it paid for its self many times over vs the old force air oil furnace heating
Bob

2 Likes

From what I have read the cutoff for air to air heat pumps is down to zero F now then you have to use a heating element or some other source. The ground pumps are definitely better but they are more expensive to install.

2 Likes

My newest calf Panda has found a new place to sleep. Guess she decided the empty water bucket looked peaceful and protected from the other cows. Not sure how she got the hay over her like a blanket but it was too funny looking.

8 Likes

If a person has a pond, or good flow well, you can forego the ground loop.

My comment about the price of propane for my shop stirred quite a bit of discussion… Rather than answer each comment I will just throw out some information.

I just moved into my new shop last week. I moved into a new shop and moving didn’t involve very much. I burned my shop up-- all but the steel Quonset structure which only lost it’s end walls. The insurance company said I had complete replacement cost on my house but out buildings are only insured at about 20%. Fortunately, I guess, they gave me about 20% on the contents of the shop. I was afraid they were going to say I should have taken out a special rider for all of the tools, and equipment. They have sent out notices about getting riders for jewellery, guns, collectables,etc. Equipment that was Thousands of dollars of Snap-on tools, 4 tractors, 5 welders, 3 oxy/acet sets, 4 lawn mowers, 4 motor cycles, couple of thousand feet of lumber etc, etc. Fortunately, it was not caused by my wood stove in the old shop, but my own doing with a torch. The tools that I did move in, amounted to the small tool box that was normally on one of the tractors for break downs in the field. Fortunately, that box was in the house for some honey do jobs.
JO, I wish I had been able to make a plan on my wg project, but to busy getting the shop rebuilt. Also, I can’t set in a char in the house and “think”" about my truck. I have to have it right in front of me to think it a through. I am moving again, but not with a good complete plan.
Gary and Sean; It is not easy to punch a hole in the roof of a Quonset building and seal a chimney to it. In my old shop I had a 20 ft. by 8 in. diam corrugated culvert sitting on end with a hole part way up for the stove pipe. Worked great for over 20 years but I didn’t think to put an ash door in it and it started filling up with ash which rusted the pipe out at ground level. I built an outside wood boiler several years ago, but when I had a heart attach I had to tell my wife how to go back to the NG boiler. The wood boiler froze up and broke some stuff in it. When I wired my shop this time, I decided as long as I wasn’t using the outside boiler, I would run the electricity from the house to the shop through the buried water pipes rather than dig ditches.
Before I built my house, I was living in a mobile home. It was a bad winter and the supply of propane got low, and the distributors gouged us. I got one of those “add on” wood furnaces and set it up by the mobile. I cut a 10 inch hole in the wall of the mobile and put one big heat duct into the house. It work good other than the “add on” furnace didn’t hold much wood. I’m thinking that I could do that with my shop. But for now, my only concern is getting my truck running on wood. Tom C

9 Likes

GarryT a saws-all is how we do the hole.
Flashing and sealant; wood stove piping IS avalable off the internet. Wood -for-heat is still used a lot in BC and western Alberta. Eastern Canada.
Insurance companies and in-home wood heating?? Yep can be a problem. We had to change insurance companies because of this.
Since far western and eastern Canada still do in-home wood heating quiz David Baillie about this aspect.
S.U.

3 Likes

The problem is actually getting the hole sealed because of the ridges in the structure.

SeanM., we have a lapped screwed on ribbed metal roof. Folk’s house next door now a standing seam metal roof.
Chimney and vents jack/flashing is wide flanged lapping up under the up slope and sides. Lower side overlaps the roofing metal. Sealant edged down. These collars have built-in elastomer sleeves for pipe-out protrusion. Seal that. Even drip around collars available to above that to put around the pipping. Seal that. Color paint the sealant to match roof or piping. That UV blocking makes the sealant last much longer.
Code approved insulated double walls SS chimney pipe of the triple wall air-gapped SS types do not get outside hot to kill the elastomer and sealants.

And yes. We can get 18-24" inches of snow and ice layered annually onto these roofs.
Just saying. . . .
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes

Yup flashing a roof was something we figured out how to do decades ago as a society. Steve has nailed how it is done.

3 Likes

this my triple skin flu pipe with lead flashing that was taken down off my roof while installing a new wood heater with a wet back in it , they also use tin flashing over here , but this lead one is easier to fold under and over .

Dave

4 Likes

If I am not mistaken, Tom has a building like this
This type of roof is harder to flash a chimney through.

5 Likes

You can alway put it on the back wall then you just need to go through the wall.

5 Likes

Frysville Popular used a converted NG furnace and one of their gasifiers.

2 Likes

In ontario the stove and chimney must be approved so their EPA stickers or ul or ulc or csa stickers. Chimney must be approved insulated stainless except the lengths nearest the stove. Brick chimneys have to be lined. Most insurers insist on a “wett” inspection and the townships might insist on a building permit or a permit addendum. All told it adds about $400 to the install. Cooking stoves have special exceptions because they mostly would never pass on their own. It makes sure people allow the right clearances and don’t install ancient inefficient stove that would be a disaster in built up areas. It’s nowhere near as restrictive as what Steve says about Washington state but its not a free for all as seems to be the case in parts of the US.

2 Likes

Hi DonM,
Yes we have these types metal buildings here too some.
Some do go out a end wall.
Some go right up out the top skin. No brainer there you go out the upright high rib center. Debate then is up out the at the very top of the arch? Or farther down, on the down slope? Depends on the snow loading expected. And your faith in sealants. Stacking snow; then . . top, top, top! Top-center and then the flashing edges carried across and down the the rib sides, and down-rib both ways far enough so ALL drainage must go down.
Only thing stopping a fellow is fear.
Ha! And those same fearful fellows would present me with power sunroofs and moonglass car tops, wife insisted “pretties” to water leaks repair! Usually fir needle, leaf mold “scum” clogged inter-gutter drain tubes. Hafta’, drop the whole inner roof liner (ALL post/pillar covers; shoulder seat belt anchors, curtain air bags, etc.) to get to these 2-4 corner drain tubes to remove, and rod them out. Ouch! $800 minimum. And I’ve had vehicle owners cry if the service writer was stupid enough to let them back to see my surgery removals, set-asides.
S.U.

5 Likes

Yes Don, That is the type building I have and yes it would be difficult to put a chimney up through the corrugated roof/siding. I did have my chimney through the end wall for 20 years. I already said, I buried one end of a 20 ft. 8 in. culvert and tapped into the culvert up about 10 ft. Worked great. The point I would like to make about this building is, it went through an extremely hot fire, hay, lumber, and tractors; after removing all the dabrea , I had the outside of the building painted with a good quality metal roof paint, installed two new end walls, and I am back to work—if I get off this computer. Tomc

6 Likes

Another school bus accident

ARGOS, Ind. (WNDU) - One student has died in a school bus and truck crash on U.S. 31 near Argos.

The crash happened before 9:15 a.m. on U.S. 31 and 13th Road. Another student was injured and airlifted to a Fort Wayne hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Other students are being treated for complaints of pain.

The northbound lanes of U.S. 31 are closed while the southbound lanes have reopened between 13th and 14th roads. Parents are being asked to reunite with their children at St. Joseph Health System’s Plymouth Medical Center.

A total of 39 students were on the bus at the time. A parent told NewsCenter 16 the students were from Winamac Community Middle School, which is part of the Eastern Pulaski Community School Corporation. They were headed to see “Elf the Musical” at the Wagon Wheel Center for the Arts in Warsaw.

Sad news, praying for all involved. Lord help them and comforting them in their loss of the students life. In Jesus Name.
Bob

6 Likes

Just to bring light in the heart again…
Waiting for snow this winter, with my DOW cap on…

12 Likes

Three words, Koen. Only three words: THAT’S NOT FAIR :smile:

11 Likes