Life goes on - Winter 2022

I wouldn’t worry about the pistons or cylinder wall. Consider it’s being burned away every time, and the cylinder has a film of oil protecting it.

Edit: They don’t chrome line the lining of the cylinder? I thought something as nice as a Polaris would have some kind of cylinder lining.

6 Likes

Hi All
Dead of winter now. Four months of in-houses woodstove heating. Another four months yet to go.
Here is a new video showing the basics of how to best in-house woodstove to finitely control your heat variably; stretch out your wood supply; and never creosote-up your stove and chimneys:

Take his one highlighted out principle to heart.
The key to effectively using wood-for-power is accepting user/operator responsibility for control.
Beyond his valid shown cross loading technique, is shorter cutting the wood and fore and aft placing for burns from one end to the other.
And a step beyond that is using the open flame burning part of the full combustion cycle to make a deep thick glowing char bed. Then thermal driving flywheel effect; taking new wood adds from flaming combustion to evolved charcoal burning, springboarding off of that heat energy momentum. How you camping fire and debris piles burn cleanly, virtually smokeless.
Wood gasify net tar-less. It ain’t magic gasifiers, or magic woods.

As he said 100,000 folks know how to do this good level of wood stoving.
But millions, and millions never even tried addicted to wall thermostats; grid electricity; clean spec fuel oils/diesel, gasolines, kerosene, propane and street gas methane always falling into the trap of making wood-for-your-energies . . . “Just like” one of these been made-easy for them. Just pays, your moneys out. And eat your cakes. They are catered to and spoiled away from most any on-hands responsibilities. Sheeple Consumers. Not hands-on actively seizing control over their Lives.

Nope. Nope. And Nope.
To ride the bicycle . . . YOU ride the bicycle. Fall downs. Bleeding scrapes. Learning to ride better.
To ride the waves (water, air, snow and sand) YOU must learn to accept the personal active responsibility to ride these waves.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

I agree Steve, I grew up in a house set at 70 deg F and fueled by oil. The Silver thaw in 1972 tore down trees and powerlines and made roads impassable for almost a week with no power to most homes and this was before generators were common for home use. We slept in front of a fireplace in the livingroom and it was fun for kids but not an efficient source of heat. My grandparents still had a woodstove in their kitchen but it was falling out of fashion.
My dad’s older brother built a chimney for his house on the exterior wall from the basement and added a woodstove, The process was fascinating to me and I asked Dad why we couldn’t do the same and he said “too messy”
When I bought my first house in 1984 we added a woodstove and have had one ever since. In '19 we swapped the Quadrafire for a wood cookstove and it’s been wonderful.
We were loggers and cut our own wood until we moved to the Okanagan and bought the saw shop and quickly realised that with one day off in the week we would need to buy our firewood so we became a customer to one of our customers. We had always piled our firewood but when I got home the firewood guy had thrown 4 cords into the woodshed in a heap. I wasn’t going to throw it out and re-pile it so we rolled with it and actually got a kick out of gathering wood in the winter and jumping out of the way of tumbling cordwood.
My wife’s sister is a city raised women and seeing our “wood pile” irritated her Germanic sensibitiies :rofl: She sent me a book on wood piling!
We season wood a year ahead and I decided to treat her with a pic of me reading the book she sent in front of the Birch we piled in her honour.

We wouldn’t want to be without wood heat

11 Likes

Nice stove. I didn’t have time to get all my wood cut to size and stacked this year so it all got piled up and I go out and cut and split what I need every couple of days. It was all several years dead before I harvested it so no problem with letting it dry. I know a transplanted German woman in Kentucky that stacks her wood as a holzhousen. I have been going to try that for years but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

10 Likes

Grain harvest culdnt be furher from this date today, but a good strategy and a in time preparation can cut the work and stress in half. Look what we got today, an old Austrian grain harvester! Its as good as new, even the original instruction still printed on paper on the side.

The more observant of you may recognise the guy in the picture. Again, Tone lent a helping hand and hauled this harvester across the country on his new Toyota truck. And some bird told me this litle Japanese marvel is thursty for woodgas :wink:

14 Likes

Kristijan, do you remember I mentioned a few years ago your progress was like watching that super fast woodpecker picking on Donald Duck. I think Tone is the same breed. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how you Slovenians do it all.
So, are you going to be a full time grain farmer now - on top of everything else?

8 Likes

I do. And since then l kicked in a lower gear, but what l still dont get is how Tone gets all that done despite being 5 years older thain my father… hats off.

Oh, grain. Not at all. A few close living like minded folks and us gathered for a shared wheat feald this year, the plan is to rotate each year at a different family. Good for soil, easyer to work that way. Purely for personal need of grains

15 Likes

I have always thought that if you were lucky enough to have a community of like minded people to work with that having something like a tool and equipment type of lending library would be an excellent plan. So many things that we only need occasionally and yet we still have to invest in them on our own. Not possible for me. Just about everyone in this area is old or at least older and no new younger people seem to be replacing them. They can no longer afford the price of the land and housing.

14 Likes

Thats my thinking also.

JO once sayd to me you can only own 12 things. After that, the things start to own you. And l have this advice in my head till this day. Doing thinga comunal is one way to do it. But it brings out a whole lot of other problems ofcorse

17 Likes

Hey PaulH,
Nice wood stack. Looks to be seven, eight feet tall? I get bitched at mightily here when I go above five foot tall. Ha! So I stack my head high to six feet.

Once I leaned that woodgasifers need smallish chunked up wood I’ve been gleaming my wood harvesting and tree-lot down to thumb dimeter sized. Burn this in our woodstoves too. No longer have annual wind-blown tree limbs burning piles.
The trick to handling this “Squaw-wood” is to only handle it twice at most. Once up off the ground into the back of a pickup or into a wheelbarrow. Left that way; or cordwood crib walled tossed pile stored. Like shown in TomH’s info link. Then handled a second time into a wheel barrel one at a time up to the houses.

Next years bulk wood (cottonwood) was down four years now winter open stacked de-bugging to be safe to later late next August dried down store. Winter: I engine driven power split daily as used. I like to hear the engine running. Do oil/wear, time-running-to-crankcase dry out evaluations that way too. 15 minutes running time is what it takes to keep the engine oil clean and dry. 12 years doing this on a B&S 10’5hp I/O cast iron bore and still excellent compression and minimal wearing. At least from cold 2500 starts, warming ups.

Ha! Ha! When a tree has 10-25% of its weight/volume-bulk in limbs at a perfect gasifier sized a fellow sure feels foolish multiple steps breaking down trunk-stem woods for a gasifer.
Have a mill . . . with edgings stickers made that’s different.
Regards
Steve unruh

12 Likes

Mom bought a liquid resin 3D printer, an Elegoo Mars 3. Little thing but it still prints fairly tall.

I found a hand cranked double gear multiplication 1:36 snail type blower design on Thingiverse. Has three different impeller designs so I might play around with that. Printing the housing and output pipe right now. Should have that done in about 7 hours ready to clean up. Might be fun to have for starting up smaller gasifiers.

9 Likes

Made me laugh Steve, I haven’t hear that since Boy Scouts in Kansas 50 years ago. The patrol leader would have us go get “squaw wood” for cooking before meal time on our campouts. I would probably get in trouble using that term here in Wisconsin so close to the Indian reservation.

Garry C.

9 Likes

Here’s the first couple of prints.
Crank handle and the impeller.

Printing the shell now.

Has a consistency like Delrin, took 1.5 hours to print.

Here’s the plans.

Edit Addendum:

Waiting for the other item my mother ordered to go with this printer, a rinsing station with a UV Light curing box. This resin cures with UV light, and while it’s solid out of the printer it’s best to finish it off in a light box or out in some good old sunshine. This is the water washable resin but it’s still fairly toxic, so I’ve been using a sealable bucket to rinse them in. Pretty easy to clean the water though, just let the resin in the water cure solid or leave the water out where it can evaporate. I wonder if a charcoal filter will clean the water?

10 Likes

Squaw-wood as I used it was not meant to be a derogatory.
My Wife at 1/16 wild Appalachian Cherokee could be technically a squaw.

Stoop-down-wood is what it is. A true Back killer for me done in useable loads past a single picked up wheelbarrow’s worth.
Three years ago on a new tree harvest opened up south property line I used 4 wheelbarrows for small long bar sawn up limb and brush wood to clear that new property line to be able to put up a new dog fence. Took me 3 months at four wheelbarrows at a time, in-house burning directly from those wheelbarrows. Sticks wood only handled a true twice.

Ha! My Wife; much, much better at stoop-working than me just said quit your whining old-man and just 'gitter done. “I DO ALL the garden fine weeding!”, she said.
Pictured above, we are converting to all 32" high raised beds.

Stoop laboring is for the young and limber. I still can some on warm days eating some pain pills later.
S.U.

13 Likes

I let very little go to waste. Sticks, small branches even wood that is starting to get a little punky. It’s all BTU’s. I’ll say that the battery powered Echo saw I bought has made branch work much easier. Being able to lay out a bunch of limbs and cut them without having to keep cranking up a gas saw is kind of a game changer for me.

7 Likes

How long does your battery chainsaw run between chargers? Do you have extra batteries for it?
Have a electric 110 volt chain saw but working with cutting branches it is a pain because of the electric cord tangling up in them. My electic pole is not much better cord tangling.
Is it a H F brand?
Bob

2 Likes

I would sleeve the block if the bore is aluminum, and maybe you can find some good adhesive ceramic coatings that holds up on aluminum/ , and since it dont seem too hurt the pistons, maybe the rest of the block is fine other that the bore might need a steel sleeve if the bore were aluminum. I think i would look for some corrosion resistant aluminum coating for the inside of the block if you are dumping a lot into the rebuild.Good luck with it,Enjoy the designing fab fun.

2 Likes

I got an electric skill or circle saw for cutting board, its a milwalki 18 volt, the saw works fine, but the 20 buck look alike chinese batterys are junk, they dont saw long at all, then need switch batterys, then they keep dieing out, junk money batterys, only good for light use impact tools.Those cordless saws need the original milwalkii batterys, probbly over 100.00$ a peice.

1 Like

I got a cheap 20 volt B&D reciprocating saw on a black friday sale for $59 with battery and charger that cuts limbs up to 3 inches faster than my 10 inch Greenworks chain saw.

Works super good for cutting roots before pulling stumps too. So far the jobs I used it for got done before the battery did.

6 Likes

Weren’t there a lot of big reciprocating saws for tree felling back in the 50s?

I know Diablo sells a 12" long blade.