Life goes on - Winter 2022

Dad bought an outbuilding that’s actually bigger than the camper. We solved his hot water problems, and he has an electric quartz heater that’s honestly overbuilt for the job. On the low setting it kept his camper at 65 degrees through the night.

He’s wanting to put a small wood stove in the outbuilding for the dogs, I found Tractor Supply still sells the small cast iron stoves. I was thinking of building a firetube style air heat exchanger. Propane tank with the fluepipe going in the side and out the other side, and a bunch of black iron pipes in parallel running through the top and bottom, and a fan set up behind it to push hot air out, tank would be set up laying down. The stove itself claims to heat up 900 square feet at 24,000 BTU, fairly small. I think with the heat exchanger it will keep the camper at a reasonable temp with a load up in the morning.

@SteveUnruh wood stove wizard, do you think that’s a good idea? We will have to install a chimney for the building, I told dad we should get the triple insulated pipe for fire safety reasons.

1 Like

You should be safe on the heat wave till next year,hopefully.Uploading: IMG_20221117_084630.jpg…

Got about a foot of snow yesterday wensday nov. 17th , first snow this year, I caint find my sled though. And the wet snaw is still hanging on the tree branches thursday 10:00 am nov.18th 2022.

10 Likes

Hi Cody talking about woodstoving is like talking about Politics, sex, or chainsaw oils.
Bound to get the cat-fight fur flying.

Broadly there are three ways to woodstove for heat.
One way is the older traditional loose-slack control at the fire box and then adding heat extractors on the flue piping.
The other super-modern way is the Rocket stoves, claiming heritage to Russian/old European and other horizontal bed long path heaters. They want to extract ALL heat from the combustion and flue gases.

I can only claim expert at the third way. Using a true airtight large capacity fire box. Your primary control for heating is the amount and condition of the fuel wood batch loaded. And then secondary controlling with the air allowed. It’s really only an airtight if you can air shut off dampen down to heat bleeding off the in-stove combustion mass. Killing all new combustion.
Controlling at the beginning you never, ever restrict the flue flow up and out.
Burning as a smoke-free fulling converting combustion then you must burn HOT, HOT with deep made char beds, with WK-like slow flows.

So nope do not get the cast iron mini. Get a larger fire box welded plate metal stove with drop in fire brick floor and lower walls. Like WK once you are getting the HOT, HOT conversion efficiency the trial then is making the metals survive the heat abuse. Let the relatively cheap drop in fire brick take the heats abuse and flow wearing.
Direct to cast iron char glowing damages:

Out here West Coast modern stove piping is beam-welded double walled SS with layered kawood in between. It must pass one, and two hours forced 2100F fires without failing testing.
The space interior piping is also double walled. Inner beam-welded SS. An air gapped outer pipe of carbon steel.
And only one, two spaced out 45 degree kicks from vertical are allowed. No 90 degrees allowed. No interior horizontal runs allowed. Restricts the keep safe always up and out flows. Makes for soot’s build up pockets.

Had to do an out from the corner kick out for minimum spacing for this “Mama Bear” stove versus the original small Jotel “Baby Bear” stove originally installed. The in between tried larger Jotel Firelight “Papa Bear” stove was too damn heating big for our 1300 square foot house.
My way I’ve learned I can too use winter fresh cut 40% wet wood too. Loss of efficiency alright heating to vapor all of the excessive pounds of wood moisture to be sweep up and away out of the flue chimney. Needs-Must when you are out of pre-seasoned dry.

Anyhow I am much against farming for heat out of the chimney system for your father’s camper.
Think instead of stove fire-boxed oversizing to give the internal space to put in some black gas pipe hot water loops and pump over to him heat that way.

I just hit usage this season as using up one full cord of wood so far. 128 cubic feet. Mostly cottonwood and some English walnut with some really, heavy dense long needles pine in-yard tree and Douglas Fir. The walnut is sure different for me. Coals the best. But have to fine re-split down to get the actual active fire heat we are needing now at nights 20-22F.
Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

My uncle has one of the modern stoves with secondary air but otherwise it is basically an old steal stove with fire brick. That is a nice setup works much better then the two wood stoves i have from the 80s with early catalytic converters.
Having lived with a Tarm wood gasification boiler i am a big fan of high thermal mass systems with a hot clean burn. But those boilers have gotten crazy expensive. So i am currently depending on simple mass from cement blocks stacked near enough to the steal stove to heat up. In my old farm house they don’t get hot to the touch just warm but they make all the difference in the world on a cold morning the kitchen will be much warmer than before i stacked them there.
I have considered one of the rocket stove mass heaters for a shop. But i haven’t gotten that far yet and making it into offically heated space would raise my taxes more than the fuel bill for the space heater the few times a year i actually seem to need to heat the shop.

5 Likes

All y’all in the Great Lakes region better prep for deep snow!

I hope this prediction is way off for you guys.

1 Like

We are getting about two feet. We have 6 inches on the ground right now. I’ll probably have to fire up the snow blower for what’s coming but I did go out today and get milk and coffee cream and we have gas for the generators and plenty of food. I ain’t afraid of no snow. I’ve never heard of anyone getting six feet here. Maybe Bruce up in the keeweenaw.
At least we won’t be having a day like John’s.

John is having a bad day.
He tried to button his shirt and the button fell off.
He picked up his briefcase and the handle fell off.
He went to open the door and the doorknob fell off.
Now he’s afraid to pee.

16 Likes

Tom,
You make me laugh. For all the inhibitions you have confessed here, there is definitely nothing wrong with your sense of humor.

6 Likes

Had my first semi solid meal in days. Oh man I’ve been so hungry. Mom made potato soup and diced up the taters real small almost like hash. I’ve been drinking cream of chicken soup and watery instant mashed potatoes. In a couple weeks I’ll be so damn happy to eat a slice of pizza or a hamburger.

Being on this mostly liquid diet throws me through a loop, normally I only eat once a day and I don’t get hungry, but I’ve been getting hungry every couple of hours.

7 Likes

It is both physically and mentally healthy to abstain from food one day a week and use that time to connect with your spirit and enjoy the natural world around you. A common practice at one time but seldom done anymore. Sometimes you just have to clear out your colon and your mind.

8 Likes

St. Martin hadnt ride on white horse for last 15 years. This one he missed his term by mere one week

8 Likes

We are at 20 inches of snow, last I checked and it’s still coming. Now the winds are coming up and it’s drifting. It will take a while for me clear our way out of here when it finally stops… Supposedly tomorrow. It’s a lot better than the 5 foot they got around Buffalo. No idea how you move all that if you live out in the country and have to do it yourself.

9 Likes

I stoped at a rest stop last night and it reminded me of someone for some reason :thinking:

4 Likes

Didnt get this one out of my mind. 2800 kg version or more? Towhitch? Looking for something like that for quite some. MB Sprinter 3500 kg and 3500 kg hitch…. But again, it seems you have the jackpot. Cant wait to see it on woodgas :grinning:

Haha, it something else on this site of the pind. Take a look at Marcus V10, what a build :+1:

4 Likes

Here’s a clever joke, let’s see who gets the reference.

4 Likes

Hush Puppy. +20 characters

7 Likes

Thanks SteveB. I would have never gotten it. I thought maybe it was a breaded puffer fish. Nothing funny about that.

5 Likes

Hush puppy is just a deep fried cornbread batter. Real good with just about anything but it’s popular at fish camps here in the South.

4 Likes

Yesterday was a day that no one wants to see happen in their family. My oldest brother Bill Mackey passed away suddenly in his sleep. He was just going to be 80 in January
So now I am the oldest of the boys it makes you think about one’s life here on plant earth. He is Resting In Peace now. We the family are still here carrying on dealing with it all. I am praying for all the children and grandchildren and great grandchildren. He had a great wonderfull life with his family we will miss him. Thank you YEHOVAH God for taking him home in Yesuha Name.
Bob

18 Likes

My condolences Bob, it’s always tough to lose a family member let alone a sibling. I’m sure he’s rejoicing with Christ awaiting the return. It’s not a goodbye, it’s a “see you there”.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”

13 Likes

So very sorry to hear this news Mr Bob :frowning_face:

10 Likes