Life goes on - Winter 2022

My condolences brother.

9 Likes

Sorry too here about your older brother, at leiste he lived past 3 score and ten- the bible life span of man average, I know how it feels , i just lost my older brother too accute lukemia- he only lasted a few months after he was diagnoised, He was only 65 years old in may this year.We were close brothers in the faith allso.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear this Kevin. He is Resting In Peace waiting to hear the call to raise up.
Bob

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss. You all are in my prayers

4 Likes

Thanks for the prayers guys , i need too say a few for his wife and two kids just out of there teens,

6 Likes

Sorry to hear this guy’s, my condoleances to you both.

7 Likes

What Göran said.
As a youngster you listen to elderly people telling you how short life is and all that. And you’re thinking: Yada - yada!
Nowdays you start realising that’s actually true. We can only try make the most of it while we can, have fun and enjoy.

9 Likes

It looks like more every day were living in the last days before Jusus returns to rapture up the saved christains. even though they say some will be saved during the great tribulation, i dont want too be here when it is in full swing. Well i beleive my oldest brother will make it when the dead in christ shall rise first, then he gets a much more glorious perfected body, that would be terrible too miss.

3 Likes

Yes the older we get the more we can see how short life is, caint see it that well when young and smart.

10 Likes

I can tell that I am getting old when I see my dad’s hands sticking out of my shirt sleeves.

15 Likes

This magnificent 8 pointer spent the night in the apple orchard with his harem of 5 does.

I babysat the old Auto Patrol, heating it’s block, spraying ether in and finally getting it started. I managed to freeze down a four lane wide mat. I am very pleased with myself for timing this just as the big snow was coming down.
Next we hauled all the dead vehicle projects off to the back 40. Cody will be thrilled to know our 79 square body mud truck did all the pulling. Those old NP205 transfer cases are tough! We had a 35 , a 37, and two 33s on her and the wheels skidded like a skid steer.
We finally got our act together and put the hydronic heating system going in the new cottage. we are still limping along in the old camp for now, with wood and oil stoves.
Well, Bruce Jackson, bought $300 worth of premium. The gas station guy couldn’t believe it. I just looked at his nose ring and the gauges in his ears, and decided not to tell him he was even more dependent on gasoline than I was.
I don’t want to jinx my next idea by bragging about it but, I did spend some time after my gas purchase, watching Gary Gilmore’s videos.
Most of my study time is spent learning Java, so I can help with coding the robot at the high school.
Tom, I think after the Subic Bay disaster (Mt pintubo sp? eruption) in 92, Sault Sainte Marie got 5 ft of snow. I remember a buddy from Kalkaska went up there to shovel roofs. He did pretty good. I suppose you could check with their road commission for the exact date.

9 Likes

We got a little over two Bruce. Not a big deal normally but the ground was still warm when it came so the bottom six inches turned to slush and I clean our half mile drive with a 30 inch snowblower and it doesn’t like slush. Took about 8 hours over two days but I got it to where we can drive in and out. Some of that was hand shoveling around the house. Almost had to cry uncle a couple times. I hope before we get more snow the ground freezes. We have at least 5 days in the 40’sF coming so most of it will melt. .

7 Likes

On today’s news, Tom. Looks familiar, doesn’t it?
Up north it always puts a smile on people’s faces when they notice how city-people down south struggle only because of a few inches of snow.

6 Likes

Good article J.O. (translates well once I hit NO to cookies)
Winter predictable events are just like here in western Washington.

Why do I house’s base heat with wood? Power outages.
Why do we still insist on studded winter tires? Wet morning black ice frosts. Transition in and out snow and ice days. And travel through areas.

But mostly to not be so damn sheeple dependent. Wait for them to fix. Wait for them to clear.
S.U.

7 Likes

The biggest issue with all the snow we get here is that people are idiots and think they can drive the same speeds they did in the summer. The road commission in this county hits the road when the flakes start falling and run day and night until it stops. unbelievable how well they do their jobs in this day and age. Outside of a snowmageddon the roads are always driveable but they are still not summer roads. Pretty common to see cars and trucks that have careened into the snowbanks along side the road. When I was working I always carried a recovery strap and if I was in a good mood I would pull them out for free. Some guys drive around all day and make fat bucks pulling the morons out.

12 Likes

I remember when the “Snowmageddon” hit about 10 years ago and I rode my Kubota into town with my tiller in the back to add some weight. People were trying to flag me down to scrape their driveway but I was headed to my friend’s house and the tractor was the only 4x4 vehicle I owned.

What would have been a 10 minute drive in a car was about a 2 hour’s slog because a Sheriff’s Deputy told me to keep my low speed vehicle off the highway and take the byroads. I think it would have shaved an hour off if I took the main drag there but I had to stick to the Farm To Market roads.

10 Likes

:joy: thats how I spent every snow day in high school, just driving around in my toyota ripping cars and trucks out of the ditch all day long. I made more money in a single day of snow extraction then I would make my part time job at the local produce farm in 2 weeks. 10-20$ was the normal, then somebody would flip you a crisp Benjamin and follow you to the gas station and fill your tank. Back when gas was 1.99/gallon. Man those were some good times!

10 Likes

Only stopping to help old cars around here, new cars with city-folks in them probably will blame you when pulling them back on the road for the damage on their cars, otherwise their insurance company definitively will.
And: A city-people driver will NEVER sit in his car, to help steering, hard to pull them from the ditch with front wheels pointing wrong direction. :roll_eyes: :wink: :laughing:
Not trying to talk down any people here, just the way it developed around here…

13 Likes

About heating with wood, i don’t like the way it’s going around where i live, they really started debating about how bad heating with wood is for the environment, and how unhealthy the smoke is, cancerogenous, really well supported by the media. I wish i lived much more rural, no neighbours at all…
I know this is’nt by caring of our health, it’s only about money, and controling.

12 Likes

It is the same here, and you can usually tell who will be nice by the bumper and window stickers. Ya that might be profiling a bit… but I guess sometimes the truth hurts. It was a different time

Did you know a 4 cylinder 4wd toyota can pull a loaded dump truck out of a ditch with enough application of the skinny pedal and a bubba rope?
Man if I did youtube videos back then… it was very entertaining

11 Likes