Life goes on - Winter 2022

We are getting ready for winter here also.
We could have a long hard winter with the possibility of temps dropping down to freezing and lasting all day .

14 Likes

:grinning: :grinning:But you wont get cold. If you are not driving the stove will eat it

5 Likes

Does this car have a spare engine in it for the sawmill?

That wood looks like a trailer load of nice warm heat for the house when it snows.
Oh did I say a bad word?
I could not get the truck out of the snow and drive up the hill. So at least I brush the snow off of the truck.

It is ready to go if the snow decides to melt. It has done this before in the months of December and January.
I just have to remove the tarp and fire the old gasifier up and go. HWWT.
Bob

8 Likes

Yes Bob . Always good to have an extra motor handy :blush:

9 Likes

Looks extremely comfortable…
Enjoy…

1 Like

Speaking of extra motors. My neighbor has a penchant for buying 80s Ramchargers and swapping them out with a Cummins. He just bought two last month.
I need to ask him what he does with the V8’s in them. Might make for a good power head.

1 Like

An avarage household with no wi. (wood insurance), can look forward to a $1000-2000 December-bill, for heating alone.
Winter is definately here throughout the entire country.

8 Likes

Yes, here too. Finally below freezing, and feeling great. Started the day with a walk yesterday. On my way to the shop I decided to go right instead of left :grinning:. Sunny freezing is the best!

And a lot of effort into the firewood, but I counted the same. 100 kWh on heat we need a day now, that is 10 m3 natural gas for normal people, €30-€40 a day, 100 day heating season. Ok, I dont mind spending time on the firewood now :grinning:

8 Likes

My head is spining… l havent spent that much on electricity my entire life, literaly. We have been on our own here for 3 years now, with monthly bill being about 30€ average… led lights, one fridge and washing machine (that usualy pulls hot water anyway since someone thod installing a non return valve under the hot water boiler is unnessesery :smile: )

8 Likes

Avarage price today is forcasted close to 0.5€/kWh. If an avarage house consumes 100 kWh/day in wintertime - that’s 50€ a day. + energy taxes + 25% sales tax on top of it all - you do the math.
Wood is the shit :smile:

Well, I would agree if it stays just below freezing, but when your spit freezes before it hits the ground, that’s when you rather cancel the walk :smile:

6 Likes

Hey Joep.

For me to go for a walk in that weather would require a couple of large men to go along with me :joy:

7 Likes

Wayne, are there any places on sale in your area? Im moving south.

Geting anything done outside in this kinda weather is about as pleasant as a leak in the ashbox…

And speaking of wich, guess who thod leaving the water pumps air supply pipe outside over winter was not a problem… and guess who has to dig it in now… price for stupidity.

12 Likes

Kristijan, the good thing is you cant blame anyone else :grinning:. That would be worse, to clean up the mistakes someone else made.

Right JO. Until minus 10 is ok, then the real cold starts.

Overhere it is only a few days a year we can enjoy this weather.

I thing we have the best climate, moderate sea climate. Almost the same all year long. Only now and then a little to much rain. Only Mr Steve has more rainy days I believe.

And we can always move to Mr Waynes place. The woodpile is big enough for all of us :grinning:

8 Likes

Moving close to Wayne might be great. But too close might not be. You then live in constant risk of geting pranked, and his genius in pranks is about as high as his gasifier genious :smile:

11 Likes

There’s a 12 acre parcel behind my woods with a creek running through part of it. Even has a fish pond. I think they wanted 70,000 USD for it. The house burned down a little over a decade ago. They logged a lot of it around the same time but it has plenty of timber still.

Most haven’t bought it because the only way in and out is through a common road we cut for them going through my family’s property, and it could be difficult to get big trucks to deliver materials.

Cons: Starting from total scratch
Pros: I’m your neighbor :grin:

12 Likes

If it doesn’t get real cold there Joep, how did you guys come to own the speed skating franchise? And what about Hans Brinker and the old pictures of the Dutch skating on the canals? I know. Hans Brinker was an American invention and the finger in the dike story? Takes on a whole different meaning in this time of LBG whatever in the hell the letters are.

4 Likes

A day without laughter is a wasted day ( Charlie Chaplin )

11 Likes

So true :grinning:

Not totally Tom, according to wikipedia. Half true.

It has been ten years since the last skating outside. I remember that like yesterday. We were playing until dark with the kids, wow. Those days are gone, warmer every year. Elfstedentocht in Rindert country is around 25 years ago? Dont know, country goes grazy then, more then Kingsday, football or Formula 1.

And sea level rising. I want to show you guys some, but I dont allow myself until DOW. In the west, the big cities, how low people live. We are still save, but those people?

4 Likes

Joep, that would be really intersting. I don’t think I’ve ever been below sea level without getting wet.
Up here we still have continious land elevation. Along the east coast the bedrock has been climbing as much as a 1/4 inch a year since the last ice age. Some 100 yo boat houses now sits 3 feet up in the air. Some day we may be able to take a walk over to Finland :smile:

8 Likes

Haha. Coming your way JO. Life is goid overthere.

Here landlevels are still sinking/klinking in the polders. Sealevel rising…. Some times I drive in the west and have to look up for the canal. Not 3 feet one meter but 10 feet/3m! How can those people sleep? If the pumps fail I dont think it takes 48 hrs to flood. But then again, 1953 was the last disaster. Since then there are the Deltaworks.

4 Likes