Life goes on - Winter 2023

Some random stuff from this year…

The joy of being a mechanic :crazy_face:

Measure resistance between 12 and 37…i need glasses?

Fuel injector number 2 is down here, under the manifold, somewhere…

Tesla’s are pretty odd, no engine oil-changes required anyway… i wonder where the battery cover is?

“My brakes started making a noise in this very moment, i demand you to take care of it right now!”

Out to fix a “boom-loader”, customer: i turn on the heater for you, so you get it warm in my enormous tractor garage…

Working in the well ventilated shop, with unlimited height restrictions…

Ford ecoboost :face_vomiting:

17 Likes

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:you made your point, I need to find time to pick up the CS, only €250.

Just curious, why was that Tesla there? Just because it is cold outside?

8 Likes

The Tesla needed new bushings in the rear wheel suspension.
Probably good for the battery to get indoors some too :rofl:

12 Likes

Teslas need either the transmission oil or the cooling fluid changed fairly frequently. I think yearly. Many Teslas owners didn’t do it and it causes issues because they assume they didn’t need to worry about fluids.

10 Likes

Nope, nothing in the manual, nothing. It might be the breakpads after seven years, no sensor on it.

8 Likes

May have been a little premature on that brake job Goren. There is still a millimeter of material on those pads and the groove is less than half way through the rotor. I guess some folks just have money to burn. :thinking:

15 Likes

I looked out to the South for the porch on this clear night at 05:45 pm and saw the lights up on the mountain were Mission Ridge Resort is located. From 17 years old to 65 years old I played and worked up there. Now at 71 years old it still holds some great and wonderful memories.

Dana and I will go have lunch up there soon and say hi to all our friends that still play and work up there.
Zoomed in picture, 20 plus miles away.

16 Likes

Apparently, you are correct. Tesla only replaces the oil if something is wrong. I am a little floored by that… I am not sure i would trust it that long. But it is a client car not your personal car so you have to go by the book.

While I understand gearboxes and transmissions are different and there is a lot more wear on a transmission. It is just bringing back memories of VW saying their transmission fluid never needed to be changed and having peoples Golf transmissions die after like 80k miles way back in the 80s…

7 Likes

Still on the board now and then Bob? Best things I ever did is off piste snowboarding. The same as waterski ing only totally free, no rope to hold on

6 Likes

Ha! Ha! As 71 now I will answer that for BobMac.
JoepK you will refute this but you are still a youngish man. Still have at least 1/4 in the fuel tank.
Getting real actual old a person must at some point concede they are down to less than even 1/4; but at 1/8th, and even less.
So . . . continue on as a person with 1/2-1/4 in the tank and zoom-zoom along??
Or go into a stretch-it-out mode to see how long, and far you can go. Make it to a next view point.
Ha! My analogy breaks down. Because there is no fully re-capable, re-fueling restoring station possible down the road of Life once past a certain point.
But on this example go view re-view the newer movie Dunkirk. The one with the Spitfire fighter pilot who chooses to stay supporting, running out the very last of his fuel, to do, “Just that last meaningful thing.”

Of course I am talking about our body’s healing rates and capabilities.
Easy to youthful spend large and happy.
Making it actually hard then in middle age to back off the body squandering and face into true adult responsibilities for begat’s. Then soon later their begat’s.
The new generation. The generation past that.
Then your Living example has to be if-you-want-to-make-it-to-this-old, you will have to back off the forced adrenaline thrilling.

Yesterday I had to move out the clothes washing machine and dryer so the new washer can be placed. The old cast off GE drier still working fine. But is’s old analog, LOUD! repeating, end of cycle buzzer could wake the dead.
Anyhow. I had to move out all of my collected jobs messes and tasks clutter from the shop to get to the stored only 4 years old, good-and quiet Maytag dryer. Moved out and warmed up good time to crawl under and change the oil on the J.D. tractor.
Wife said good time to finally her-paint the little laundry room. Ceiling and high walls up on a ladder. She is 69. Had has one leg a major vein torn and internal bleed red, purple, blue and even green from heel to her buttocks back in the 1990’s. Decades later had to have the other side hip replaced.

She got it done.
And I got it done.

Keep up the body games at the intensity we had done in our 20’s-thru-50’s and we’d be walker hobbling or wheelchair bound now. Or slower reflexes, slower physical responses; be now dead and gone.

Plus. I entered an upcoming series of racing events. I want to be able to upright walk the events from starting points to finishing points:

I want to show all of the Youngers than me that it ain’t about fancy, pretty, stylish-made.
Wheels alignments. Going max forwards weight on a gravity racer. And that a liquid lube in the loose shuddering wheels and axle nails boundary layer cushioning, is better than dry graphite.

Steve unruh

12 Likes

A big part of everything is the mind set that you hold.

Last fall i pushed myself into a 25 miles hike with 50 lbs of gear in my pack, unknown if i could do it at age 33. This last weekened i had a opportunity at 20 miles, now age 34 and with 35lb pack. Should be easier then the previous longer distance at heavier weight? I can do this yes. Mindset in stone i CAN do this. Come foot to ground no one told me that 20 miles was near 9,000ft in elevation change! Physical struggle, while mind was still in stone i can and i will. 21 hours 22 minutes later.

4 days of leg recovery, but reaching that goal was a huge mental boost. Set the mind to it, my tank may still be half full by age. But many your and my age and younger just dont have that drive to put the pedal to the floor board and get things done. I have such high respect for your generation of men and women still out there every day accomplishing goals, where a larger percentage of my generation is content with a gaming console, bags of cheetos, corn syrup carbonated caffine delivery in a can and an ikea couch

13 Likes

I never thought about it like waterskiing. You are kind of right, except you have the rope for balance with waterskiing. I always thought about it more like skateboarding downhill, but your feet are locked in. Whatever you do don’t try snowboarding on ice, it doesn’t work very well. :slight_smile: Although I was told, ‘if you can ski in michigan, you can ski anywhere’ because most of our slopes are groomed and icey which is much harder to maintain control, then with powder. And it hurts more when you fall… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of my son’s prized possessions is his state champion Pinewood Derby trophy. I will agree with you on wheel alignment, but he beat out over a thousand cars with the center of gravity about an inch ahead of the rear wheels. He also cut about 1/2” off the rear of the car and glued it to the front. This put his center of gravity (potential energy) higher up the ramp than most. But the main secret was the hours he spent polishing the axels on the drill press with white rouge. They had a mirror finish and he just used graphite. It was his last year of competition and what made it so special for him was he did it all himself from what we had learned in the previous years. I couldn’t help him because I was helping his younger brother build his first car.

GC

15 Likes

I have not played or worked at the Mission Ridge Resort since I turned 65 years old. Teaching Skiing and Snowboarding for over 25 years, averaging 50 days on the mountain a year was enough time for me. Riding and skiing everywhere on the mountain, there were no secret spots.
At 59 years old I stopped riding and teaching in the terrain parks, it was just to physically demanding on my body. Let the younger people do that job.
Working as a TD instructor (training director) teaching kids and adults to become instructors was a wonderful job up there. Hard work but very rewarding.

12 Likes

I want sure if the sap was running yet so i only put one tap in… I guess it is maple syrup season here.

12 Likes

I still have my grandpa’s pinewood derby cars, and I have mine from the Cub Scouts. My dad used automotive paint on my car, blue with a LOT of metallic flame and that sucker was polished down. I got in the finals of my scout troop but lost out, though I did get Best In Show.

At least I beat the Jeff Gordon themed derby car.

10 Likes

Boy, that brings back memories. My brother and I took second and first one year in the Pinewood. Yeah, our cars weren’t pretty but they were weighted out to the max. Some of the sleek dragster looking ones couldn’t even finish.

9 Likes

Our pine-wood racing is through our local Grange.
Surprised me they have an up-thru-15 age Kids class; and a 16 years and above Adult class. So I donated for a kids entry-kit. And bought one for me.
Then we had a Grange Saturday build-day. I hand whittled mine. Wood shop guys brought their table belt and drum sanders, and a medium scroll saw for all to use.
Previous years builds allowed with a 1/2 fee to re-enter. Ha! They let me pick up handle and then, think, think.
They even set up the track on build day to test builds. I went wheel axles set high for a belly close. Dragged. Had to belly groove for the track guide ribs. Did all my seen runs car backwards to not go too fast. Calling it a 1930’s boat-tail racer. Local Grange events joke involves puff cheese balls. So I pinned one on the back-as-the-front, and one on top as a racers head. Said then it was the Cheese-Ball racer.

Everyone pursues different design and building strategies.
Me, a new member; and first year; I plan not to win. Do plan not to show badly.
Next year . . . all out. It will an open wheeled Formula 1 emulator.
S.U.

9 Likes

I know someone who is trying to sell some piglets around Elizabethtown in Central Kentucky. If anyone is interested I will get more details.

2 Likes

Here is a this-morning rarity. Visible smoke out Steve Unruh’s wood stove chimney:

Picture top center against the background green fir tree.

It was fine burning smoke-free clear leaving to property around walk the dogs.
One the way back up the hill saw this had evolved!
Back up in house found that the dry cedar and fir under wood had burnt devolved allowing one of the green maple splits to settle down and partially block the single primary air in jet hole.
Poked that clear. Layered a fresh dry fir split across the top to become the open flame smoke eater. Cracked open the front door to increase draft to zoom back up the coals heating.

So Automators . . . how would you sensor detect smoking? Then decisions make three multiple adjustments?
Wood is Good, because it works best with human interactions. Honors the human. Not dumb-dumb down folks to becoming “just go to the freezer and get the (food) box”.

Steve unruh

14 Likes