Life goes on - Winter 2023

Mr Wayne, everytime you post about your hens l chukle a bit. It reminds me of Lisas friend, the rooster :smile:

I tryed frozen eggs at Waynes and l could tell no difference. And l tryed the method Al described too. After about 6 months the eggs were still good, but yolk consistency did get a bit runny. You found this also Al?

Edit: l heared they used to burry eggs in wheat here. Suposedly it prolonged shelflife some

15 Likes

I was reading up on egg storage the other day and was amazing how many ways to store them quite long term-thats a great survival food TOO.

3 Likes

I wonder if the wheat reduces the oxygen or something along those lines.

1 Like

A couple years ago I tried the lime water method. We had some gallon jars with lid openings big enough for me to get my hand in, so I could place eggs without cracking them. With extra lime so the solution was surely saturated, all the eggs tried were good, and none cracked or leaked in the jars for 8 or 9 months. Most all I tried (I was the only one eating them at this point :slightly_smiling_face:) were good out to a year. Leaking eggs showed up more frequently as time went on, past 10 months or so. My personal guess is that eggs keep for a very long time as they are. We’ve seen hens gather eggs for three weeks or so, sit on them, and hatch. Outside, summer heat, and the hens don 't have access to lime. Water keeps them from drying out, and lime keeps the shell from dissolving, and other stuff from growing. Only my guess.

I was inspired by this video:

Townsends sell supplies to colonial (US) re-enactors, or used to, They show mostly 1700s ways of doing things. Our family has enjoyed the information, .and the pleasant, easy-going style.

9 Likes

Exactly my thod also Kent. Althugh this holds true for unwashed eggs, l belive its mandatory in the US to wash them for sale? Those must be refrigerated.
Here eggs must be unwashed and are not refridgerated even in the store.

Idealy, eggs shuld always be kept at a constant temperature to prevent condensation on the surface. Thats breeding ground for bacteria.

In my experiances eggs got no problem lasting up to a month being kept somewhere relatively cool (not the fridge). I always test old eggs thugh. Put them in a bowl of water and you can judge the condition of the egg based on the angle they float in. Laying flat is freshest. Pointed straight up is an old egg but still edible. Floaters are bad

12 Likes

eggs conserved in buckets and filled up with the liqid white lime what is used for painting walls 
this works fine, traditionally were used the eggs from mid of july to mid of august

11 Likes

Dried egg noodles uses up extra eggs and lasts a long time on the shelf.

13 Likes

Hi Kristijan, the only thing I noticed was a few of them were slightly watery, Most were good. I will probably freeze dry all of them this year, but they are scrambled, I like over easy :yum:

8 Likes

I shake eggs if I find a hidden nest if I don’t know how old they are. If they slosh like water they are no good. :face_vomiting:

10 Likes

As we were talking about tire changing stuff a while back I made these yesterday and today.

A beadbreaker fastened in the table, one bolt through the table only so it can swivel, a very handy feature I noticed after one tryout tire removal, the square pipe is meant to be used with an iron bar in it for leverage. It also stores away nicer when it is not so big.

And the tire removing thingie with a duckhead on it is welded on an angle iron that is fastened in the vice, also to be used with the same iron bar for leverage. I’ll cut down the center pipe a bit as it is pretty cumbersome to lift the tire that high to put it on but I wanted to see how high the other stuff got first so it wouldn’t be too short.
All in all pretty happy with this, works great :smiley:

20 Likes

Perfect! Now I know where to go to change tires :grin:

13 Likes

Yes, you are welcome to come here so you can change your tires :wink: :smile:

13 Likes

Here is a site right up your alley Goran. Lots of video about messing with old saws. one of these days I going to get around to making a video of my 1985 Homelite Super XL running. All metal, no vibration damping. 60cc. Barks like a mean dog. I always get a kick out of running it.

10 Likes

Thanks Tom, yeah i use to check his youtubes, great old stuff :smiley:

5 Likes

I friend stopped by a work the other day, hes a truck driver.
I told him where he could drop of his load. (my place) :laughing:

No he told me, they’re get angry at me at Braviken pulp-mill then
 :rofl:

15 Likes

I should have known that I couldn’t find anything about saws that you didn’t already know about. :grin:

12 Likes

I hate to show this when Goren keep showing building photo’s with helper snow still freezing his fingers and toes. . .
And WayneK shows rain, and rainy pictures driving around to keep his feet out of the cold muds. . .
But a second really nice early Spring day here.
And that means outside work, and sweat working here

Two raised bed panters now soils filled and one seeded with frost resistant early greens.
Still another six weeks can gets frosts here.

Oh yeah . . . the good weather here grew a thick-walled SS pressure pot!
Ha! From the local high schools trip fund raiser sale. Along with a great deal on a 1989 made in USA air compressor.

It works! Just a mushy off switch. It even has a good hose with fittings than match my air tools. Now I have a back-up air compressor.

Fellows you all need to be this Spring and Summer mining out as much manufactured useable old things that you can.
Tis’ the season. Here in my region the social ice-cream is melting away quicker and quicker.
Steve Unruh

10 Likes

Some pic’s if someone wants to see sunny Sweden. :smiley:
Wife and i use to take our “traditional” spring walk this time every year, not so much spring this year, started snowing, so we interrupted our walk and went home before half-way.
This year we went to a nearby hiking trail, around old iron works, and blast-furnaces, going back to around the 1300s.

Lots of small waterfalls, and remains of water wheels foundations.

Hazel.

Nature’s own little marauder has started felling this tree. I wonder if a beaver would’nt be the perfect pet for a woodgas driver?

Local historical society has recreated one of the water wheels, powering a small trip hammer.
According to a historical article sign, the builder of the first known water wheel in this particular place, in 1880, was Adolf Berglund, after some checking i found out he was probably a uncle to my great-grandfather :astonished:

Nature makes one hungry.

And: back to woodgas again! Wife found this old pic this evening, one of our wedding photos, may 2008 :blush:

19 Likes

I bet you could search the world over and never find anyone else that went on their honeymoon in a wood gas car :joy:
Well the weather is kind of crappy here for outside projects so I took the challenge to find something about chainsaw that Goran hasn’t found yet. I hope it wasn’t a wasted day. Also check out the video links on these sites. kind of amazing.

If you have already seen these Goran than please

10 Likes

Sorry Tom, the first i’ve seen a couple of times, they visit Wayne Suttons chainsaw museum, Amboy, Washington. if i remember correctly?
I really hope to go there myself some day.
The second youtube i’ve seen also.
The third i’ve never seen.
:smiley:

9 Likes