Longest Stationary Gasifier Run?

This sub forum is called the “small engine” forum, but I see it as the Drive on Wood forum for stationary gasifers, so, with that in mind:

What is the longest period of time that anybody has run an engine drawing at least a couple of kilowatts on a stationary gasifier?

My own goal is to produce 39Kw per hour of utility grade power for 10 hours at a crack, once a week. I wouldn’t mind being right there to maintain the system, but the thing will pretty much have to be outputting that amount of power for the full time. Once that time period, expires, I’d have no trouble with having to clean up, etc…

To put it another way, has anybody beat the GEK power pallet?

Pete Stanaitis

Hey Pete,

being a total newbie, I don’t want to be perceived as the smart-ass here, but I try to teach the students as well the difference between power and energy (or work) - so I kind of have to, I guess, although I do know and understand what you meant:

You want to produce 39 kW, that is 39 000 Joule per second (or Newton*meter per second). kW per hour doesn’t make sense that way.

For the 10 hour duration, I think you just have to extend your hopper and make it high enough. The experts might correct me on this, if I’m wrong.

Best regards,

Sam

Hey PeteS
Good to hear from you. You really ask a number of questions here.
39 kW in a single hour is going to require at least a 60 horsepower on woodgas engine output. Gonna take a min large six, eight cylinder engine to do this. So way above the design experience in this section.
Mr Waynes big vehicle systems with his travel running time would qualify as proven expereince produce for this amount of power for this long. Sean French has done this too.

GEK power pallet - which one? When? By Who? Only thier 100kW system would have this range of capability. Anybody documented done this for hours on a 100kW GEK system yet?
Other system types?
Sure.
Some of the Victory hearth Larger systems have done this. Propretory ownerships and you will not find NET broadcasted out info on this. This IS what the buying owners want - confidentiality.
Community Power Corporations systems have done this. Lots of Net citations on this. Super Expensive. Super Complicated.
Power Hearth systems. Again proprietary system ownerships. Any Net info that I’ve ever seen leaked out got taken down quickly by Power Hearth I believe. Hint: they used Ford industrial big block V-8’s and later V-10’s gen-sets for this range of continuos kW of electrical power.

SamF you are correct on your energy/power/work statement.
I’ve come to hate the new fasionable KW for all powers “statements”: thermal, mechanical, electrical. Very confusing and misleading.
Big hoppers always choke out on tars and condensates.
Realities for all with this big of size of systems operating to handle these huge amounts of fuels stock in, and wastes out as in ash, they are always driven into an airlock augered-in, chute-fed, conveyered-in fuel feed IN systems; and running system augered OUT ash removal systems. Internal system needed shaking and grate managment varies hughly depending on the system design, fuel(S) range and pre-fuel proceeding needed each system is intended to handle.
Once you are into these complexirtes then scaled up you get into Jenbacher engined V-16 systems designed for 5000 hour operating cycles.

Reflect Mr Wayne intentionally stops, loaded power offs, and manually refuels every 1-2 hours to avoid these problems. He could better translate his miles running points for refuels, dumping and cleaning into operating hours.

PeteS there are actually two members here on the D-O-W with stationary systems that have done your 10 hour at these power 39kWel levels goals.
Once you figure out who they are I suggest you contact them directly as they design and build this size for commercial sale use.

Regards
Steve Unruh

I am sorry that I muddied up my question by stating my own eventual goal.

To restate:
I am looking for woodgassers who have truly got something that works, in the several ( I hate to say the wrong thing again) kwhr range for at least a few hours at a time.
And, Sam, I really didn’t need that slap on the wrist. i am so glad that you DID understand what I meant, but saddened that you are apparently a newbie to woodgas. Should I, in future either speak only in joules, pascals and meters, or should I just use a different forum?
Now I am really worried about my spelling and my grammar

unlikely to vist again,
Pete Stanaitis

Opps. My bad.
Sorry PeteS: " . . . anybody has ran an engine drawing at least a couple of kilowatts for a couple of hours?"
Well, Big list now done this just in this Group. Too many to name now without leave out some one and offending. I hesitate to even name all of the different system varations now for fear of offending anyone. Look at the avatar pictures of the active posters here in the Small Engine Users Corner will show at least five of these fellows.
I’ve engine operated for hours of electrical power myself now on 7-8 different system types now. These were all good enough to be able to bulk/batch recharge a home battery bank. Done this enough to be able to say 75% IS the operator IF he/she Is Allowed to do whatever is needed to get the job done.
Pick/build a system. Stick with it to train on and many here could help you with this 75% operator part. Then you can operate almost anything.
I am dead serious about this.
Bought a STAK? O.K then. Wayne vehicle traveled early on with systems this simple (crude). Just have to only use prechared wood chunks with some other Wayne learned tricks.
Bought/acquired one of those Chinese gasifier stove kit? O.K. then. Have to ONLY use pre-dried SMALL chunked up wood fuel, suck it HARD and HOT with an engine-gen system, and need lots of available water flow for the woodgas cooling section.
GEK I?, GEK II? GEK III? OK then. Pre wood ash charge to internal seal and insulate. Pre-load with good dry hardwood, sized, screened char to at least 4 inches (100mm) ABOVE the nozzles - NO raw fuel wood to start. ONLY fan suck enough to get it going to either a flare (ANY continuous flare) or better yet do not flare-stare at all, just get it to a see-through cold gas haze state. THEN loaded engine suck pull it hard and hot - you only have ~20 minutes to do these first two steps before you run out of char below the nozzles. Third step, only NOW after fully heated up fuel load with your choice of know pre-dried >15% moisture small chunked up soft woods or hard woods.
Could go on and on using chunked wood fuels for almost any core gasifier system.
Keys:
Pre-charge with wood ash internally to seal and insulate.
Pre-charge with dry hardwood chunked screened wood char.
ONLY operated with an actual loaded running engine system.
Only use dryed chunked sized for the system, fuel wood.

Anything means anything - even a staight piece of 4" iron pipe carefully preleoaded. Only 10-20 minutes loaded engine run time before it flow chokes out on ash and char fines.
I have even engine power out of different woodstoves. Too wood gobbling wasteful. Too hard on the stove metals. 90% heat for only 10% fuel gas. My absolute best was only ever a 2 hour loaded engine cycle for a fuel quanity that if I had chunked it and consticted hearth gasified it I would have been able to loaded engine fuel for ten hours.
Was too wasteful, disrespectful of Ma’ Natures bounty.
Then a couple of local codgers moved their woodstove based hearths back inside “to save all of that heat”. Gasifer carbon monoxide WILL kill you quickly and quietly. Pulled the plug on all of that direction.
I only refer to these here to illustrate it only relies on establishing a hot glowing bed of wood charcoal and drawing wood “smoke” (pyrolisis gases of water vapors, tars and such) through this bed.
Long run times is a Devil of details is to make sure this is ALL that is happening and that the system can self-replenish the internal char and pyrolisis fuel stocks and NOT mid and lower choke out on the wastes of ash and condensates.
NOT upper system clog unuseable with the normal to be expected gasifier black sticky Goo.
And NOT burn through or melt down anywhere mixing up your zones and gasses separations.

I have; but no longer will, personally use any chipped, pelletized and especially any human or animal food grade fuels.
No more animal manures, leafs, needles - these all belong to Mother nature for the quickest soil building. 32 years of man and animal assisted front door Mt Saint Helens recovery has been my teacher on this. These are all difficult to gasify for motor grade gas anyway. Life is too short with other demands always needing tending if you are really out living it to insist on doing things always the hardest ways.

I’d let MattR, ArvidO and other builder members here describe thier own systems fuels and operator needs.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Hello Mr. Stanaitis,

Because of the automation and computerization necessary for a stationary genset, I have chose to put my energy toward the mobile units.

Several occasions I have driven 500-600 miles stopping only to refuel and I can remember five occasions driving 700-800 miles.

On a two week outing I put 7400 miles on the wood burners .

The longest I have traveled without stopping the truck was 107 miles , this was pulling a small trailer loaded with wood running highway speed.

I don’t know all the details of the GEK but I think Jim Mason is doing a great job with them.

Hi back PeteS
I just took a skim of your website. Good. Good. You have the treewoods. Blacksmithing back ground (origins of all woodgasing). And the engines in your Onans.

Let me expand a bit on my eextended run electrical generating expereinces on woodgas. Gasifer I picture below (my primary unit for now) HAS 2000 watt electrical output gen-set loaded engine fuel the next pictured gen-set for hours at a time.
2 hour runs were the easiest. The tall hopper pictured was set up to do this for ~8 hours on dense chunked woodbased fuels; 2 hours on much less dense shaved wood chips and fluffy light AG waste fuels like corn cobs and stover. There is the problem. If the 8 hours worth of fuel was NOT dry enough, the rising internal heat plume would cook enough moisure and tars out of the fuel mass that it would creasote glue stick together; tar cap/bridge; not self feed and hollow burn out of fuel. Too dry of this size of fuel mass and the rising heats would prematurly cook out too much of the fuel wood, heats would climb up to high, and then turn the fuel mass into a big overheating glowing char mass. Touchy.
Work arounds were first a hopper shaker mounted to the pad on the side of this pictured hopper. Then was a better hopper moisture collection, condnesate and removal systen like WayneK uses. Somewhat complicated and adds two more points of maintence. And stationary would need a fuel hopper cooling/condensing forced air fan to work well.
Far easiest is to just use exisiting engine waste heats to pre-dry and condition the to be used fuel wood chunks and then just hopper re-fuel in less volume charges per hopper loads. Just power back and every couple of hours add 2 hours worth of wood fuel chunks. This is matching the total wood fuel moistures in system to the system available internal rising heats. I hope this is clear.
Woodgas motor fuel quality will vary from beginning of batch burn cycle to the end. Affects engine power and then generator output and can even vary the frquency due to engine RPM changes.
Easiest to just underpower use an oversized engine-gen system and live with this. This is what I do. Then just run the sensitive stuff off of a battery buffered RediLines converters (3rd picture) or gasifer/engine systen powered off inverter supply from a bigger charged battery bank. Nope do not have this bank as of yet. So. . . . many other demands for the money for a battery bank as of yet.
Other solutions are to complex electronically automate and couple the gasifer system to the engine gen-set - GEK IV and a few others.
Or, convert to a “do not care” variable RPM DC charging based system like the Victory Hotwatt evolved into (now VictoryGrid); David Baille and Steven Amptramp here do now with thier gasifer/electric power systems.

Many ways to skin this make wood into electricity cat. What’s your pleasure?

Also take a look at Charcoal Gasification section here.
Gary Gilmore does char-gas fuel an Onan gen-set over there.
If you are already making blacksmith wood charcoal this may be the simplest match up for you.

I hope that I have gotten across from all of my blabbing that there is NO perfect gasifier. NO perfect filtering system.
There is NO perfect engine or electrical generator system.
There IS a perfect gasifier fuel - open cell wood chunks.
And there is a perfect woodgas operator; one who can tie these all together into something real world useable to turn wood into electricity.

Ha! Ha! You got me beat man. I only have a 47 cylinder working count here. Could useta’ be able to do some of the maths, but never useable arithmetic’s
And my spelling/diction is getting to be the worst now.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Regards
Steve Unruh

Good Evening Mr. Stanaitis Wayne And Steve U
Last summer I ran this homemade generator manually for R&D purposes on gasification.
Once my gasifier was up to operating temps I was able to get a stable 36kw from it.(at 36kw averaging 5kw per house this would be enough for 7 houses) The run time was for a 6 hour period all of my instrumentation said all was normal with the gasification system and I saw no need to run it any longer. The gasifier consumed 50lbs. of soft pine an hour.
To define STABLE= freq stayed at 60 hertz voltage 480 on the button. I did have to tweak the air to fuel mix once every 3 hours.

Hi Pete,
Kw, joules, foot pounds, ham on rye, pork on a bun…no tip. That stuff kinda melts into the background when you’re firing up and assessing the performance of your machine, increasing personal knowledge and planning your next tweak. I’m upping mine to line D Imbert dimensions for increased gas production to run a larger hp engine. I have only run a couple small (5-8hp) engines for about 45 min runs. I need to rebuild the carb on my1500 watt gen before I can do any test runs under load. I look forward to your posts, Pete,so stick around, please. It’s all about learning from those willing to share as far as I’m concerned.
Pepe

i’ve ran our small system one evening at around two thousand watts for over thirteen hours, only stopping to drain condensate and refill the hopper… most of the time i didn’t even stop the engine to refuel the hopper.

doesn’t have to be complicated… I have no fancy electronics of grate shakers on our system.

Dear Pete Stanaitis,

please do accept my apology.

I did not want to insult you, I did not want to “slap your wrist” and I certainly did not want to make you leave this forum! So please stick around!
And there is absolutely no reason to feel sad for me, because I am a woodgas newbie. I am pretty, pretty sure every single one in this forum was like that at some point.

How could I even dream about trying to insist on metric units? In this forum, there are 99% woodgassers from North America (at least that is my estimate). You can’t be seriously suggesting I should try to seduce all of you to the dark (metric) side. I have no problem converting between imperial and metric (well, to be honest, I have this problem for degree Fahrenheit to centigrade and for BTUs to calories - but even for that there are formulae I can handle). And my spelling and grammar is probably not the best either, not to mention my very limited understanding of many words and expressions (and sayings).

All I wanted to say is that it simply does not make sense to relate a power specification to time. I guess nobody would say “my car engine puts out 120 hp per hour”. Moreover, it is not correct, because that engine puts out these 120 hp per minute, per second or per day - just as you wish.

I didn’t mean to offend anyone. Maybe, I am just brought up to be precise and specific. Please don’t be peeved at me for this.

Best regards,

Sam

PS: It appears I did a really poor job trying to not be perceived as the smart-ass, didn’t I?

Hello Mr. Sam,

With the expressions and saying I even get people from around here lost .

I had a fancy newspaper man out here interviewing me once . He asked if I have lived in this area all my life .

I said “ not yet “

1 Like

Hello Wayne,

I really like that quick-witted reply, it’s simultaneously clever and wise, sort of “Solomonic”!

Hello "Sam"F
As the host of this section and a German/Russian/mongrel American born I accept your apology.
You only made one mistake - try to apply out in open public the classic school teachers mistake. Ha! School teachers here (two in the family) try to do the same here, with the same poor results. Ha! Chant to yourself “one classroom at a time”, “one generation at a time”.

Here on the DOW I turn numbers values confusion into a mind exercise game. Just today here on the DOW:
" . . mid 30’s here now . . " Hmm. 30C = to 86F? 30F = to -1.1C? Member search = eastern USA, winter now; so had to be 30F.
" . . 1700 at the grate . . " Hmm. 1700F = to 927C? 1700C = to 3092F Ekk!! He is steel core melting down! He was not. Member search he is American so 1700F. A nice above 850"C" finishing gas reduction temperature. In all of the old books. Steel grate survivable.
" . . had 23-30K on it . . " Easy for me an American. Posted by an American so means 23,000 to 30,000 miles for intake manifold soot cleaning intervals. 23-30 kilometers = 18.6 miles would not have driven this fellow there and back to his nearest morning coffee shop. Not reasonble to think he would be having to pull his carburetor for needed soot cleaning just to get back home.
My cell phone calculator/converter is my at finger tips friend. I must dig for the power/energy/work terms converters.
$'s what??? American member = USD. Australian member = AUD. New Zealand member = NZD. Canadian member = CAD
I’ve had to member search these all out here on the DOW now. Ha! That’s the same problem as os he/she talking Canadian? or? US gallons? Is the Canadian member being polite and helpful quoting in US values or his/her own old common country values. Americans have killed many 2 stroke rental motors with thier own “ounces” of oil mixed into larger Canadian “Imperial” gallons. Ha! Liters volumn quotes and I am sure, and can convert safely, accurately.

To politly, quietly be able to puzzle out these confusions is WHY at least a HOME COUNTRY of origin is asked for on membership sign up. Very handy to know if the person you are exchanging with is speaking English/American as a second language. Much patience and understanding can be given then.
Guys, gals, “planet earth” and by now it should be obvious, “North American” just does not help straighten out these confusions either. BLANK, Refusing a location is just pure RUDE. Rude is Rude. Never, ever, expect back anything more than you are willing to give.
It would be Rude to not accept an apology.
It would be Rude to get in a big huff, hissy fit, snit over some minor confusion in words or terms. Nothing learned then.
Rudeness is a Weakness. Only by the Strength will someone be able to shrug off a woodgas Poof, dead end build up, shrug it off and move foraward. Only those with the personal strength to be polite get help from me get to working useable motorfuel gasification. Otherwise you figure it a-l-l out by your own lonely self. Every step. Every mistake. Takes years that way. Lots of $'s, Euro’s, Yen, Krona/Krone.

NOW this I’ve written is being a true “tongue-in-cheek” American smart-ass. No apologies from me. Doors on social relationships always voluntary and swing both ways.

SamF you are welcome aboard the good life-ship Small Engine Users Corner.

Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

You know Steve i smile with every post you type… I look forward to seeing your comments as i learn a ton from them.

Me, I’ll admit I know very little… and I have no problem telling people I know very little, but what I know, I know well.

If someone gets put off by how someone answers something and leaves because of it… well, to be honest, it’s their loss…

Any one ever talk to Max Gasman? He’s an awesome fellow… has taught me a lot… but English isn’t his first language and sometimes you get the feeling he’s talking down to you (which he isn’t). Stuff can get lost in translation… Oh, so you all know, I speak Arvid… it’s similar to English but there can be some differences… just saying.

1 Like

Thank you all for your thoughtful inputs. when I made the original post, I was going to name a few names myself, but, as others have said, I was afraid to leave someone out.
It is too cold here to run my JXQ-10 with its water filter, so I have to be content, for now, to work on relateds stuff. As I think I have mentioned, I built an Arduino based datalogger with ideas from the GEK guys, mostly. Several of the “Transportation” guys here have mentioned that they don’t like the idea of automated controls and would rather go by ear and feel.
I would have gone that way too, but I have not been smart enough yet to ffigure out how to run my gasifier with a decent generator load, for an extended period of time without something going wrong that I can’t figure out.
That’s why I built a datalogger.
And, for that reason, that’s why I have been modifying it just lately---- to try to figure out what the heck is happening inside that makes the gas quality drrop off suddenly, after a hour or two.
And, while I am at it, I thought I’d use this gasifier (JXQ-10) to learn all I can about gasification in general. Once I got into this “Arduino” thing, it sorta became a hobby in itself.
Anyway, for anyone who is interested I put up a video about my rebuilt datalogger last nite.
It’s at:

Pete Stanaitis

Hi Pete Just wanted to thank you for your video. I just recently purchased a adrino uno and have started to build a gasifier monitoring system. Your video helps me to see some great Ideas.

Thank you your information is very helpful

Neil

Hey Pete,
I am with Neil that is a very impressive G.M.S unit. For your 39kw generator project are you planning to update the gasifier?
BBB Sean

Hi back PeteS
I did watch your Datalogger video to the first 3 minutes then switched over and watched your whole 8:43 minute gasifier Putt-Putt video.
Good editing and presentaion job on these. This is a compliment - takes good interest for the babysitting 3+ hours of downloading for me to do this. Ha! Gives lots of time to detail observe, think things through.
For your goals of a ONCE A WEEK IN A 10 HOUR PERIOD of 39 kilowatthours of electrical power out of one of your Onan gen-sets I have full confidence you could do this with your current system on the fuel wood chunks you videoed.

Read and view what Tom Daniels was able to produce for three days here with his:

“JKQX10 Gasifier Mod”
Take heart. Tells you this basic hearth system can produce this amount of woodgas energy in that time frame.
He quotes 1-2 hours in hopper time on hardwood chips.
See his diagram and realize with his internal consticted hearth “Imbert” modifications he lost approx. 1/2 of his fuel capacity space above the grate. Chipped fuels in the same woods are always less dense tha chunked form. Bucket weigh them - you will see.
So unmodified you should be able to get maybe 3-4 hours per internal hopper load.
In your Putt-Putt video you observe the fresh fuel/still cold “Ram-jet” flare pressure pulsing clear back to the bottom of the grate. This is actually good for grate and char bed ash clearing. Once you go to loaded single cylinder engine running this will really help down out there too. You could see from your system pressure and flow obsevations that your system at 1 1/2 hour was gasses flow choking. Your blower motor sound change said this too. “I think” this was due to ash clogging in the grate/char bed area. Easy to prove. You have this mounted on inflated rubber wheels - get this happening again and with gloves give the whole hearth a good shaking. If ash flow cogging, you will see an immediate change in the flare or engine running performace. Your poker experience showed it was not a hopper fuel chunk bridging problem - no blower fan sound change - no flare change.
No changes with the system shaking - you will still be system flow colgged. These have an extremely small internal filtering chamber compartments. Really just like the small lower ash space designed to fuelgas supply the cooking stove for only ~2 hours at a time. Then cool down/ clean out for the next time.
Next time you observe system flow restiction if after the hearth shaking does not clear it - turn off your suction blower/turn off your engine, open the hopper cover to pressure and smoke vent and hot gloved hand pullout all of the filtering material. Close it all back up and try again without any filtering material at all just for a look-see, try-it, to prove it was NOT the flow area problem.
Soon as you do start power loaded engine running the much stronger gas pulling engine will be finally really heating up your system good, quick and claener versus the weaker stove suppling blower system. Your fuel consumption will min 2X, leaving 2X the wood ash to have to flow down and char surface clear and collect, separate out.
Sigh. Still a system flow clogged once you rule out ash and filter media clogging then it has always proven traced back to someone who was NOT been water wash system suppling and clogged up the internal baffling chambers and even the blower fan area with unwash down and out, now pulled through ash and soot drop outs.

These operator details are all actually JKQ-10 gasifier specific. I’ll leave it up to you if you want me to continue here on your thread “how to make it work for 10 hours for me” or you contact me directly through my membership page here on the DOW.

Area fellow here was statisfied with his “China Stove” set-up I advised in once up to a 6 hour engine run system. He could have done much better for run time, and responsibility. He’s very remote mountain and I was not very happy with his uphill creek in, to down hill creek water out, gas wash/cooling system. That creek runs into a Fed and State monitored protected salmon and steelhead trout spawning river. Easy solved with a couple of opened topped 55 gallon hopper/cooling/ash/soot settling out water cooling barrels and a 12 volt mini-pump.
Plus . . his local “grow” income source made me want to kinnda back out at earliest polite possible.

Pete there is something wrong with how you are picking up your “above” and “below” temperasture readings. Grate? From your Putt-Putt video you are getting good properly glowing hot down there with the pictured glow and your lower outer hearth paint color changes. My APL/GEK supplied probe always gives me min 1700-2000F (1000-1050C) above to 1400-1500F (800-850C) below on a properly drawn system. Is the thick poured in place refractory core in your hearth interfering with your temp picked up readings? It would be very hard to measure just what is happening with the temperatures moderated and redistributed out on the outside of all of that thermal mass.

Regards

Thank you guys for your positive comments about the Arduino datalogger upgrade. I intend to add a page of notes about some of the things I have learned “the hard way” along the line. I am not a C+ programmer, so I have written a lot of work-around code to get to where I need to be. The one comment I’ll make here: I see no need to use the Frescale MPXV7002DP pressure sensor in a gasifier monitoring system. The MPXV7007DP can easily read down to =/- 1/8" water column (about 32 pascals) so it can handle any “low suction”/“low pressure” situation you are likely to encounter with a gasifier.

Regarding Steve’s in depth reply: I have read it carefully and have assimilated as much of the info as I could. Here below, I take the whole commentary apart and address each issue. Thanks again, Steve. As you will see I found several actionable tasks to perform.
For reference: Steve has been viewing one of the videos on my youtube channel. The channel Is: http://www.youtube.com/feed/?frenchcreekvalley

Steve comment 1.:
Take heart. Tells you this basic hearth system can produce this amount of woodgas energy in that time frame.
He quotes 1-2 hours in hopper time on hardwood chips.
****Pete Reply 1: Yes, Tom Diesel and I have been talking for some time now. I agree with you. I will definetely convert the JXQ-10 to an imbert design like Tom has. Note, though, that Tom told me recently that he is going to build a WK type gasifier one of these days. (Right, Tom?) One of the reasons that I continue to work with the current system is to try to understand the dynamics of the thing completely. ----And to “get my feet wet”.

Steve comment 2.:
See his diagram and realize with his internal consticted hearth “Imbert” modifications he lost approx. 1/2 of his fuel capacity space above the grate. Chipped fuels in the same woods are always less dense tha chunked form. Bucket weigh them - you will see.
****Pete Reply 2: Yes, I always weigh everything. Without imbert-style nozzles, I can’t run chunks at all. I am always on the lookout for thicker wood chips, but so far, they are hard to find and most people who have wood chippers tell me that they really aren’t interested in the thickness; they just want to get them into the truck as fast as possible. Except for Greg Manning, who has been able to produce thicker chips.

Steve Comment 3:
So unmodified you should be able to get maybe 3-4 hours per internal hopper load.
******Pete Reply 3: My wood chips weigh about 10 pounds net per 5 gallon pail (4.54545 Kg/18.92705 liter pail). I can get a couple of them in there at once if I try hard. I usually figure fairly dry wood at about 9,000 btu/pound, so there’s gross the limit of heat on one loading. But, the way the gasifier works right now, it doesn’t matter at all whether the cover is open or not. I can add fuel any time.

Steve comment 4:
In your Putt-Putt video you observe the fresh fuel/still cold “Ram-jet” flare pressure pulsing clear back to the bottom of the grate. This is actually good for grate and char bed ash clearing. Once you go to loaded single cylinder engine running this will really help down out there too.
*****Pete Reply 4: Okay.

Steve comment 5:
You could see from your system pressure and flow obsevations that your system at 1 1/2 hour was gasses flow choking.
****Pete Reply 5: Yes, That’s where I decided that I need some sort of grate shaker, but, as you all can tell, I haven’t added one yet.

Steve comment 6:
Your blower motor sound change said this too. “I think” this was due to ash clogging in the grate/char bed area. Easy to prove. You have this mounted on inflated rubber wheels - get this happening again and with gloves give the whole hearth a good shaking. If ash flow cogging, you will see an immediate change in the flare or engine running performace.
****Pete Reply 6:This is a really good idea. Why didn’t I think of that?

Steve comment 7:
Your poker experience showed it was not a hopper fuel chunk bridging problem - no blower fan sound change - no flare change.
No changes with the system shaking - you will still be system flow clogged. These have an extremely small internal filtering chamber compartments. Really just like the small lower ash space designed to fuelgas supply the cooking stove for only ~2 hours at a time. Then cool down/ clean out for the next time.
Next time you observe system flow restiction if after the hearth shaking does not clear it - turn off your suction blower/turn off your engine, open the hopper cover to pressure and smoke vent and hot gloved hand pullout all of the filtering material. Close it all back up and try again without any filtering material at all just for a look-see, try-it, to prove it was NOT the flow area problem.
Soon as you do start power loaded engine running the much stronger gas pulling engine will be finally really heating up your system good, quick and claener versus the weaker stove suppling blower system. Your fuel consumption will min 2X, leaving 2X the wood ash to have to flow down and char surface clear and collect, separate out.
Sigh. Still a system flow clogged once you rule out ash and filter media clogging then it has always proven traced back to someone who was NOT been water wash system suppling and clogged up the internal baffling chambers and even the blower fan area with unwash down and out, now pulled through ash and soot drop outs.
Pete Reply 7: At one point in this test series, I forgot to check the fiberglass filter material that I had put in the output chamber. (Instructions say to use corn cobs or “activated” charcoal. Anyway, I found the fiberglass had turned into a black, gooey lump. Not sure what that situation was like at the time of the “putt-putt” test.

Steve comment 8:
These operator details are all actually JKQ-10 gasifier specific. I’ll leave it up to you if you want me to continue here on your thread “how to make it work for 10 hours for me” or you contact me directly through my membership page here on the DOW.
Area fellow here was statisfied with his “China Stove” set-up I advised in once up to a 6 hour engine run system. He could have done much better for run time, and responsibility. He’s very remote mountain and I was not very happy with his uphill creek in, to down hill creek water out, gas wash/cooling system. That creek runs into a Fed and State monitored protected salmon and steelhead trout spawning river. Easy solved with a couple of opened topped 55 gallon hopper/cooling/ash/soot settling out water cooling barrels and a 12 volt mini-pump.
Plus . . his local “grow” income source made me want to kinnda back out at earliest polite possible.
Pete reply 9: I use fresh cooling water into the left hand tank on my gasifier’s filter system. That water NEVER contacts the gas. But, as you say, this could be accomplished with a closed loop cooling system. As you probably know, Tom Diesel has already done this. He has 2 “radiators” on his system to handle this. I evaporate my “dirty water” and toss it out with the garbage.

Steve comment 9:
Pete there is something wrong with how you are picking up your “above” and “below” temperasture readings. Grate? From your Putt-Putt video you are getting good properly glowing hot down there with the pictured glow and your lower outer hearth paint color changes. My APL/GEK supplied probe always gives me min 1700-2000F (1000-1050C) above to 1400-1500F (800-850C) below on a properly drawn system. Is the thick poured in place refractory core in your hearth interfering with your temp picked up readings? It would be very hard to measure just what is happening with the temperatures moderated and redistributed out on the outside of all of that thermal mass.
Pete Reply 9: An excellent point!!! Another “why didn’t I think of that?”. And---- I REALLY should know better! I have made up many many thermocouples over the years, but I bought these SS, sheathed T/Cs on Ebay. I have calibrated my own homemade T/C’s, but not the ones I bought, assuming they’d be close. But, you are right. I have always been a little suspicious of the actual materials in use. Just because they say “Type K”, they might not even be Chromal/Alumel… I will definitely run calibrations on them. These sheathed T/C’s only stick 4 inches into the reactor area, but that IS enough to get them to the “red hot” zone above the grate, and into the hot gas stream below the grate.

I have been in contact with Kevin Chisholm, the Stak Properties folks and others JXQ-10 owners about this whole system. We seem to have concluded that there are many subtle differences (and some not-so-subtle) between various mfrs of the JXQ-10. It has been very frustrating to see that obervations that I make may or may not relate to the experiences of others.

End of comments.
Pete Stanaitis