LS engines on woodgas

[Discussion about running LS engines on woodgas. Matt Ryder has experience gasifying them commercially.]

So you’re against just LS or all interference engines? Most engines now (including the 318 Dodge) are interference…

I wouldn’t say against just not going recommend it at least to a beginners. Unless you have experience with your machine and 100% you will always make dry clean fuel. It only takes one mistake to make some tar to make a real mess of one of these engines. You dont necessarily have to stick a valve, but just slowing it down is enough to create some real problems. If you foul a plug with wet gas this may not be full of tar but this cylinder over time miss firing can get sticky.For me as a manufacturer I have to make it bullet proof; if it can happen it will.

1 Like

OK with me… Just pointing out, we’ve never had a tarred-and-bent valve among the collective million or so miles driven here. I intend to run an LS powered Dakota the first chance I get.

I know vehicles are different than stationary, because the operator is constantly “feeling” the machine out. A sticky throttle is a warning sign, along with the way the engine was last running on shutdown. It’s definitely not “idiot-proof”. Few things truly are.

2 Likes

If you need any help with your LS let me know. I strongly recommend scrapping the EFI and going carbureted.

1 Like

I intend to… With the woodgas/air coming in on one side, and a carb on the other, then all I need to figure out is the ignition setup.

Moving this to a new thread, don’t want to hijack your project.

3 Likes

You will be fine with the MSD kit for the LS. All you have to do is plug it in basically, it comes with a full wiring harness and plugs directly into the GM sensors. I think all we needed to use was the crank sensor and you have the option to use a map sensor for better timing. Other than that put power to it and choose what timing curve you want or program it yourself. It comes with an output wire for a tach as well. There are tons of manifolds for em too. You can get manifolds for dual and triple carb set ups. It would be interesting to see one with a gas carb on one end and a woodgas set up on the other. Ive always wondered if this would work our not. What do you think I might try it as well on my machine. :fire:

3 Likes

The LS machine we built in Italy was ran with out the cooler turned on. So what ended up happening is the gas was condensing later and getting to the engine. The vicious cycle now begins, fouled two plugs and ran for 4 hours. We shut down to connect the generator head and restarted, then that awful sound of metal smashing against itself started. This may have been the couple spitting out the spider couple we repaired this but in this process the engine had time to cool. We hit the starter and that was all it took. Off with the heads and new valves back in. Its been back up and running and I have finally got input back on it. It is pulling the 25 kW continouse at 1500 rpms as planned so that was good news to hear. Its been at a few shows over there as well. :fire:

2 Likes

Ouch… not fun!!

The MSD kit sounds like a good option, thanks for the info. I assume it has plenty of headroom for woodgas timing advance?

I wonder how well a carburetor will run through an EFI style manifold. Probably good enough for our purposes.

1 Like

You may want to get the after market manifolds. They are reasonable these days and you might find one used on ebay. For your carb, you can try and find one in the local yards but last time I tried to find one at my local yard they laughed at me. lol. They are getting more and more rare.

1 Like

Here is everything you need minus the carb and engine The intake ports on the LS engine are massive too!! this is one place this engine really shines for woodgasing, this engine is built to breath in the goods

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Cathedral-Carb-Intake-Kit-Edelbrock-Performer-RPM-Intake-MSD-6010-Ignition-/191473536378?hash=item2c94b64d7a:g:FzcAAOSwT6pVysQ7&vxp=mtr

1 Like

For timing you can play with different MAP sensors to get you where you want to be. The MSD box also some tuning plugs you plug into it. I cant remember what they are actually called. but you get an array of them and can plug different ones in to get different timing curves. So you have lots of adjustment and have the ability to log your data via laptop. I didnt try this and am not sure if you can get live data. But if I remember correctly you can tweak timing further via programing with your lap top, it should come with the software too.

Here some data from an ebay listiing

The 6LS and 6LS-2 Ignition Controllers can now be installed on EFI or carburetor equipped engines. While it may seem blasphemous to some, putting a carburetor on a GM Gen-III V-8 is a great option for those wanting the advantages of the aluminum small block without the headaches of wiring a modern EFI system. The controllers allow you to map a timing advance curve with MSD’s easy-to-use Pro-Data+ software. Other programmable features include a two-step rev limiter, a vacuum advance curve for cruising economy and even a step retard in case you want to add a little nitrous to the mix. The 6LS is designed for LS1/LS6 type engines with a 24-tooth wheel, which can be identified by its black crank sensor connector. The 6LS-2 is designed specifically for the LS2/LS7 and its 58-tooth wheel, which can be easily recognized by its gray crank sensor connector. Both of these compact ignition controllers fit with matching factory connectors for a direct installation. Only a handful of connections are required; the coils, crank sensor, MAP sensor and the cam sensor. You’ll have your carb’ed LSX running in no time!

3 Likes

Good article on EFI vs carb manifolds etc (for my reference, mostly)

2 Likes

Good for you Matt Ryder.
Too often other have only been willing to share out the good results sprinkled into the mounds of hopeless optimism.
I’m thinking specifically on all of the still hyped-up, made in India, Listroid CS engines “as the perfect for woodgassing” still up; never been retracted, cockroach living on the Net.
I STILL get contacts/calls asking me why I sold out of mine!!
Ah . . . 950 pounds for something that hops up and down; has two big grabbing external flywheels, gives flickering prone AC drive; doen’t come with an electric staring system at all; and is now declared Fed’s illegal to import into the US/Canada.
I was so-o-o cool-aide bought-in stupid.
No reason for others to fall into avoidable holes.
Go dig your own new ones.

Best Regards
Washington State Steve Unruh

4 Likes