Max Gasman's Audi

Hi, Kristijan! Good day! Soon noon!
On the same height, a plank uses ~2/3 of the plate surface that a corresponding cylinder uses! That suffices.

No direct losses; all heat has to go “through” the fuel first.
And you don’t have a “gas-hot” outer surface to worry about!
Especially in a “hidden” solution…

A long-cord thermometer is enough to begin with, and manual “flapping”…

3 Likes

I guess air preheat wuld be hard and inefficiant in such a sistem, as most energyid used to heat the fuel. But is it eaven neaded with haveing super dry wood (negative water content)?

The plate might be problematic for bridgeing?

2 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

Air heating is good to arrange around the hearth, silo preheat starts at the silo funnel.
Air heating first, then silo heating in the center of the silo.

One does not exclude the other, they come in series.
And decent cool silowalls… in the beginning. Its under work.

Well, you don’t get perfect wood in every place, but with a well equipped gasifier you will overcome the most usual inconveniences.

To me an easy cleanable air preheater is harder to design than the plank. Vertical tubes manteled around the hearth is the current concept. Gas in vertical tubes, air around.

Sounds like the steam went out of you, rare!

3 Likes

“Sounds like the steam went out of you, rare!”

Ha! It hasnt yet begun to boil :yum:

So, with center out heating, and WK tubes out, one culd insulate the hopper. Good for a inkognito gasifier.

2 Likes

I’ve cleaned up the thread.

1 Like

Hi,Chris!
5.6.2017’
Thank You a LOT!

Hi, Chris!
Thank You a double LOT!

1 Like

Nice build! I hope to build something like that someday.

1 Like

Thank you Tony! Welcome to the site!

Keep your feet on the ground! The upper hearth and the large reduction volume work nicely in balance, but it is still a cool-air imbert-like construction.
The upper hearth is 5% of the “Sekundenverbrauch”, as the Germans would say. Meaning net gas consuption/s at WOT on open road = 3300 RPM

The small upper hearth maintains a good process temperature in sloppy town trafik. Only 4 nozzles gives good penetration to the center.

But you need a twin barrel arrangement to accomodate a useful gas filtration. (if doing it hot)

Between the gasifier and the filter barrel you need a cyclone to scale off 90% of the soot into a convenient detachable big pot. This is a practical way to handle the daily coarse routine. (With clean hands!)

Plans to build, or study first?

2 Likes

Hi Max! Got to study first. :slight_smile:

High, Tony!
There you go! The library on this site has a lot of good books!

To me, Kristijans “flora” of troubles is a very good asortment of things that has to be solved; as one thing seems to be OK, the next appears!

This is the hard way of learning, but the yeald is fantastic for all who are following it closely.
And you see, that many others share similar experiences, or the same.

3 Likes

Happy, Midsummer everybody!

We are going toward autumn inevitably…

5 Likes

Hi Max,

You gave me a good laugh :smile: yes, there is a lot of personal evolution rangeing from my charcoal pwered moped, Seat, Chevrolet and to be continued…

4 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!
Your energetic way of developing new solutions and applications has brought about a lively discussion stimulating new ideas almost every week…
A lively correspondence even among the “big motor” builders has come about.
Everyone appreciates this lively experimenting!

5 Likes

Happy summer max, it seems like summers are short and hotter when it sets in. Here in michigan. Learning more ways too skin the wood tar cat all time, THANKS too DOW suporters and the teachers.

Hi, Kevin!
The longest day of the year has just passed, so HAPPY MIDSUMMER WEEKEND!

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi Max, its interasring, we live far apart, yet we have similar habbits and holydays.
Althugh not as popular as once was, middsummer day was once calebrated similary, with big fires lasting the whole night.

Happy midsummer then!

2 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

Here people go out to the coastal islets, skerries in the Archipelagoes and at inland lakes and islets too. Having bonfires troughout the night, drinking, singing, dancing. To my place it is ~276,1km/152.5 mi
on the road, to the nearest reachable Mainland point.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Happy Midsummer!
Kristijan, I always thoguht celebrating Midsummer was only a Norse infidel/pagan tradition. Early potatoes, raw herring and snaps here.

3 Likes

Max are you going too take the auti and show some folks how make another good use of wood.