Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

I thought aluminum sulfate plus sodium silicate created aluminum silicate. Aluminum silicate is active refractory in the kaowool.

1 Like

@TomC, as promissed.

9 Likes

Thanks Kristijan, that gives a very good picture of what you are doing to put the gasifier and hopper in the trunk or boot of the car. Nice job on planning it out. Looking good on the gasifier build so far. I not sure what I was looking at in the second picture. Lol. Just has long you know how it is all going together is what counts. Right.
Are you going to do the filter tube up front like you had before? I liked that design, so simple to pull out and clean.
Bob

2 Likes

Hey Kristijan, as I was watching your video I had a strange idea for filling your hopper. What if you had 2 fill ports that were the size of shop-vac hoses, and you vacuumed the char up out of a bucket and into your hopper? It would at least save you the step of vacuuming all the charcoal dust out of your trunk after each refill!

5 Likes

Impressive body rapair and impressive gasifier build, but most of all impressive building speed. How do you do that? It’s beyond my comprehension.

5 Likes

Filling the side fill would be easier if you built a side fill shoot. I better draw this then tring to explain it.

I like the vaccum suction idea that Carl said. The only difference is turn on the vaccum and pore it in the fill shoot. The vacuum line could connect on the other side of the hopper. Valve it off when done filling. This is how I fill my big plastic barrels of char. I put a big funnel over the screw cap hole and the vaccum hose in the other screw cap hole. It fills as fast as I can pore it in. There’s hardy no mess or char dust. The char dust goes into the vaccum and the char into the barrel.
Bob

4 Likes

Wow i am so impressed with the speed and the idea’s that have gone into this build already , just shows what can be achieved when determined to DOW or DOC even .

Kristijan will you fire up this baby before installing it into the car and make a video ? even if its a flare or running a small engine would help bed the new baby in rather well .

Well done

Dave

3 Likes

JO, He is young and can stay up late at night working and then come home work all day get a couple hours sleep go back to work and then do it all over again and again. I did it when I was young, working shift work. But now I am retired not into that mode, my mode is more of a thinker tinker mode anymore. Kristijan does have a impressive building speed skills.
Bob

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking on those line also! Water glass can be homemade. There are youtube videos about the subject.

2 Likes

Kristijan; Thanks for the video of the MB. For the life of me, I didn’t know what the car was going to look like. It appeared to me that you only spent a couple of days rebuilding it. I didn’t think you could actually form the repair part and get them on in such a short time. In this country, I can buy for most any car, the parts that are known to rust out such as the fender lower and tire cut out pieces. I have played around with repairing rust, every since I got my drivers license. A project like you under took, and buying the repair parts would have taken me weeks in my time. ( I can’t call it my “spare” time because being I am retired, all time is “spare” time. “My time” is generally between 2 pm and 6 pm, if I don’t have to go for doctors appointments.)
I was really surprise that you had it painted already— do you have a shop inside where you can work on it, especially painting? Please tell me that you used body filler. You did a great job of fabricating the replacement parts, but I am thinking that you had to use body filler to get such a smooth installation. Thank you for taking the time to video your body work.
About the charcoal project, what are you going to do for a muffler if you remove the stock one? Merry Christmas TomC

4 Likes

You could have the hopper tilt out.

1 Like

Good morning and thanks for the thumbs up!

Bob, yes, l will go with my prevoius sack filter. It worked flawless, l just wanted to extend cleaning time with pre filrlteeing out some dust.

The vacuum idea seems apealing. Bob, can l ask you about some details on your vacuum system? Hose diameter, vacuum power…

2 problems l see with this thugh. Cant do a vacuum refill on the road, and the danger of puting enormeous vacuum on a hot gasifier, even withair intake closed.

Dave, yes, l have one mantle to put on the gasifier then l will fire it up with corser char to build some good temp inside.

HAha, Bob, actualy not at all. Sleep is my criptonite. I did this “couple of hours sleep” for a while but l found the productiveness level drops so much its better to sleep long and good. I need at least 8 hours. But l like to take good advantige of any free time.

Tom, thank you. Unfortunaly l culdnt find suitible spare parts and made them out of sheet steel. Actualy it took me about 3 weeks to finish it all. Never again, thats a absolutely pain in the sitting organ to do.
No, no shop. I just waited for a windless day.
On the mufler, l will explain on my next report.

Sean, thats a good idea! I will go and mesure how it wuld look, l will make it like you say if it turns out good.

5 Likes

It may or may not be. I was assuming you have an auger for a feeder that could use a curved bottom for the hopper. You could actually rotate on auger at the bottom, you lose a bit on the top though.

You could also put it on a sled or tracks so you can slide it towards you. fill it push it back, then have it lock into position.

2 Likes

Today l only managed to pull 2 feet of a weld. I had to help father in law clearing some treetops he just fallen and when l got back to the project l discovered l left the gas open on the welder and it emptyed my allmost fill gas bottle :cry: but l see this as a sign, its Christmas time and we must pay some time to our family too.

But l did fire up the new sistem!

14 Likes

For some reason l have problems copying the links of videos here. Must be my fosilised smartphone. Anyway, look at recent uploads on my wifes channel (Karmen Kranjc).

I am amazed how much more of a roar (flame speed) extra water in adition to air pheheat does.

11 Likes

Hi kristijan

to be sure that I understand well, allowing you to use wet charcoal is ?

1 a gasifier downdraft

2 a cold storage hopper

it is only the water contained in the reactor coal that can be reduced to H2?

I like very much your construction is great … Congratulations :star_struck:

Thierry

4 Likes

Nice flare Kristijan. The shop vac was pushing air in on this test, right? How does this air volume through the gasifier compare to engine gas needs at say 50 miles per hour?

4 Likes

Well …WOW that is some amazing flare and sparks , from the test run , it will be very interesting to see the reactor once all the charcoal has been used up and fingers crossed the inside will still all be intact , but so far it looks very promising indeed and the snap crackle pop of the wet charcoal is music to my ears as well .
Well done
Dave

4 Likes

Kristijan good job on the build. I noticed on your second topping off with charcoal and when you starting the blower you did not have to light the gas coming out. If you were piping it up to your engine will the flame be traveling up the pipe? Good reason for it to be made of metal. Not sure if the car engine will be pulling a vaccum this hard with this much air velocity feeding it.
I am sure there was no build up of charcoal bed yet below the grate.
Bob

2 Likes

Yes you are right about loading the hopper with the vaccum when the fire box is active. I was thinking when it is cold. You will just have to load it down the shoot when the gasifier is hot. I thinking if the charcoal contains moisture it will not be that dusty anyways. Turn the auger on and scoop the char in the gasifier hopper.
I just use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner with a 1.5" hose. It has a easy to remove cylinder filter that I can tap on a flat surface to remove the charcoal dust because it does plug up and reduces the suction.
Bob

2 Likes