My book came in!

Hi,

finally my book made it across the Pond. It turns out I gave Chris the wrong postal code - but I guess the guys at German Mail figured this parcel made it the whole distance from KY, so we better not send it back, but try to find out the correct code, they succeeded…

As you can see, the envelope is covered with stickers from German Mail and Customs and it is pretty bashed-up, but the book is in good shape!

Thank you, Wayne and Chris, for your work and effort on this one. I think the book is very impressive and I am proud and honoured to have your signatures and thumb prints in it!
It seems my timing on becoming a member was good.

Best regards and RMR (read, man, read!)

Sam

Hey Sam,

The package went halfway around the world and was delivered with the use of gasoline ,diesel fuel and jet fuel but just remember the first ten miles of the delivery was wood powered .

How long has it been in your area that woodgas was part of the mail service ?

1 Like

Wayne,

I figure this was 65 to 70 years ago…

You express actually an interesting thought - how long will it take that our mail will be delivered on biomass fuel again - will there still be snail-mail by then?

Cheers,

Sam

Hey SamF
I predict “snail-mail” paper will never completly die. Our nationalized mail services may go away. But the demand from people like you and me with just grow more privately held mail sevices. You could have been sent this for only ~30% more unsubsidized by DHL or UPS. Mine by FedEx or UPS.
Paper is readable under my newest Phillips LED, incadesents, candle light, kerosene or the sun.
I now have unviewable Microfiche, casset photos, to go with old 8mm family film now too fragile to play. Anytime I can still pull out the paperprinted pictures and letters. I now have unreadble 5 1/4" and 3 1/2 floppies. Now worn out useable magnetic audio cassets, video tapes. Again the paper printed pictures and letters from then are still alive and useable. Now many of my older CD’s will not play anymore in the newer equipment. My “only” 8 year old computor will not run some of the newer “sticks” of info sent to me.
I can still read my oldest book from the 1800’s. A 50 year old Sunday School Bible - my notes make that a real time machine.
The “death of paper” hasn’t happen yet. I do not believe it ever will.
This is because of the easy viewing systems it allows.
The inexpensive store birthday cards I got stamped mailed last November were more real and some saved than the Hallmark electronic’s I had E-mailed now gone Poof back to vaporworld land.

Nope. Paper has stood the test of time and is here to stay.
You could fuel the delivery servives on the waste paper while the tree are recycle growing more paper stocks. Only ~60 of a paper pulp wood tree is paper stock usable anyhow. Most of the other 40% would be more wood fuel stocks.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Got my book yesterday,
Nice Job Wayne and Chris. Just getting into it, I like the history, It helps not to build what hasn’t worked before.

My book turned up today in the mail at work this morning…i didn’t get much done at work today

My book just arrived in BC,Canada! Thank you very much Mr Wayne and Chris.
My wife got a kick out of the sooty fingerprint,she figured she’s seen similar around the house here.

My book arrived in Tok, Alaska today. Thanks much.

Hi, got my book today, in Italy: awesome! Many thanks!

Howdy!
Got the book this evening, very happy to have it!
I can have this in truck and not have to carry a Laptop around to show people what I’m talking about… I might look a little less crazy to some folks :wink:
Thanks again guys!
HWWT!

WOW Terry ,

That took awhile to get to ya. Glad you weren’t waiting for the book to start building.

SWEM

Howdy Mr Wayne,
Believe it or not it was fast by Canada’s standards!
Probably got here Monday, Didn’t check the box til last night.
It’s here now and I’m real happy about that!
BBB

Hi Terry
I hear what your saying. I have to build in my garage and my door faces the road only about 40 feet from the street. So I have random people stopping and always asking what in the heck are you building…and then of coarse you get the dumb looks and sure right buddy…!!!
So now when they ask I tell them it a portable smoker I hang pigs in the barrels and take it to parties… then they alll say oh thats so cool and except it with no problems…People are so funny!

take care
Neil

“People are so funny!”
They sure are… one day they just walk by and the next… I get swarmed and spend the day yappin about Woodgas
Go figure
Hows the build coming along?

The build is going good just getting ready to start my cooling rails, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel…:slight_smile:

Take Care!