My first gasifier

Hey Gordon, that looked a lot like me (except for the diaper) when I was building mine:-)

Hey Gordon ,

Are you going to let your partner drive some when you complete the project ?

No! He talks too much…I can’t concentrate and he makes me wear a diaper…Oh Oh… I just had a flash of 30 yrs from now. I better shut-up. Hard to look good chunkin wood in a diaper.

Thank You Chris for bringing my blog back. I have funding now to finish building my final filter and other modifications. I will have a finished gasifier soon. My gas is looking very good even tho my build had mistakes. Build and learn.

Hi everyone, My gasifier is doing GREAT! I think I can run a 6 cyl motor if I want. Lots of good gas. I am putting up some pics of her and some new things I ready to do next. My temps inside the burn tube are 2100+ degrees F and just 380 degrees exiting to the drop box. I feel this is good conversion for engine fuel. My flame is a nice blue to violet and some yellow tips. When I build my hay filter/ foam final filter and run it through it should be perfectly clean. (knock on wood…ouch). My lid seal is working good now so no more black condensate running down the outside. (big ugly clean-up there). I have a new cooler to mount. The Ben Peterson style is not enough. There is a pic of my new cooler to see.and I am showing a pic of the ADS pipe I will use for my final filter. It should work fine. Let me know if anyone sees a problem with that. I have a 5 gallon condensate reservoir with a clear tube on the outside for water observation. I will have drains on both new cooler and filter. My machine has done multiple full burns without a grate shake but still have square block bridging probs. I am thinking a 12V solenoid and a lever actuating an agitator inside above burn tube to keep fuel from bridging. maybe even a rod down to shake grate at same time. I know that sounds a little “Rube Goldberg” but I want to run chips eventually instead of blocks. or a mix.?? still building and learning. I am very happy with my gas quality especially after my initial build mistakes. Gordon

Here is a pic of the 8" ID ADS filter housing I’m planning on using. Here is a pic of 2 - 20gal.propane tanks I got for $25 each(still got some propane in em too). A 7 gal for $15 which will be my drop box on my next build. I also found a stainless steel container for $25 too. It will look nice mounted on an antique tractor of which there is one in almost every front yard here in Oregon. It will shine up nice too with lots of polishing. I hope to just build these great machines for people around here. Sofar no one has even heard of woodgas here in the land of plentiful waste wood. But the eyes get big when I explain.

Every morning I wake up to some idiot burning a wet pile of wood waste. It’s like the boneheads here aren’t happy with the forest fire smoke in summer…gotta smoke the whole valley in winter too. and people get mad if I smoke a cig or cigar. geeesh. well I digress… here’s some pics

I just made a quick video of how fast my gasifier is making lightable gas from a cold start. 55 seconds.

2 Likes

Thanks for the video Gordon .

Looks like you have it going your way :yum:

Hi Wayne,
This light up run was done with your nozzle design coming in at the top of the burn tube. I would need to weld in my adapter sleeve to go to “Imbert” I’m not ready to do that. Either way produces good gas so far. Gordon

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I have a new hay/foam filter and a new cooler that seems to work great. Here is a video of my new setup w/ the exact color flame I was looking for. If I’m wrong about this, please let me know.

BBB Gordon

Link doesn’t look like it’s showing up. You may have to go to Youtube and see my channel “Gordon Ooghe” See the latest vid, thanx

2 Likes

The video works here, but I went and subscribed, then while reading the Youtube comments I notice I am subscribed to the first four commenters, all builders.
Looks like very clean gas to me but then again I am new to the woody variety :beers: .

Good morning Gordon.

Thanks much for the video !! Great job!!

Hello Wayne,
Thank you. I have a good strong flame, but being a stationary unit…I have bridging problems. That’s my next fix. My internals are mostly your design without the preheat. Mainly with the nozzles coming in Like a WK and not imbert. My reduction tube is too long but I’m wondering if my mistake there is giving my charcoal (being suspended there) more time to cool and get better conversion…?? I have 2000+ in the hearth and very cool gas exiting.(350-450 degrees temp taken on exit tube to drop box). Temp leaving drop box is 150 or so.
Anyway…Thank you for your gift of knowledge that has made it possible for all of us to move ahead with gasification. You’re a good man to share so openly!! Gordon

1 Like

Hi Jay Stuckey,
I’m very new to this too. I too subscribe to all the people that are into this gasification mayhem. They’re a big help also. After I fix my bridging problems and clean up (paint) my unit, I will make a walk around vid. Cheers Gordon

1 Like

Stephen Abbadessa,
Thank you for your vote of confidence. THAT means a lot coming from an engineer and scientist. I am not as schooled as some, but still got a little drive left in me.
My machine is not pretty enough for display yet but soon will be. I’m still solving some issues (bridging).
I have been watching your progress with your machines. Very impressive gasifiers. I will probably be a customer soon of your air/fuel mixture control. (money probs) THANK YOU for the inspiration!! Gordon

Hi Gordon,

You earned it. I remember all the work getting to the point you are at. I was a slow learner. I should have listened more to Dutch John and Mike L,

I did down angled nozzles to help with bridging. It has worked well for me. Steve U and I have both seen that engine pulsation knocks fuel down so hopefully that helps. The effect may be less pronounced in a multi cylinder engine, however.

Keep at it. Hopefully the automixer will be ready next month…if I don’t get another foot of snow

1 Like

Gordon, You are moving along really well, congrats.
Pepe

My hard drive broke so noone can suffer my comments now…just an old andriod phone now…Ahll be bock. muahahaha

1 Like

Too bad to hear about the hard drive. Maybe you’ll have a trailer made for the gasifier when you get back so we can see it run your car. :grin: