My first small engine run

Arvid, I can relate to that. I’ve told several folks I would have them over for a demo of the gasifier running an ICE, but anxious as I am, I’m glad I’m waiting for the bugs to be worked out Pepe

Ha! Ha! Yes Pepe and ArvidO. People and thier camera’s!!
All of those VictoryShop videos with invited visitor people ( many having driven or flown in at thier own expense) were live developments with something just being tried fresh off of BenP’s welding table or my fab/assembly bench. Some successes; some pretty big “Booms!” but goal was never ever to have a dud event. Always took having a presentation Plan A, Plan B and even a Plan C. It was after going through all plans that I/we ran raw uncooled woodgas into my 94 Ford 5.0L pick up so they could hear an engine running on woodgas even if poorly at an idle only.
His earlier educational “White Jacket” educational videos were scripted monologues. It was after the University of Florida unit shipped and was ran in then with feedback he thankfully went to his everyday wear black tee-shirt or everyday, cold, opened up shop welder clothes.
Still, always, I was dodging his or some visitors cameras.
And I ALWAYS kept a live presentation Plan D in my own hip pocket. My poor little mini-van packed around at least 800-1000 pounds of back-up tools, fuels and materials in for 2+ years.

Regards
Steve Unruh

we’ve always used a shop vac as an vacuum source when starting. Can’t say i’ve had it go into jet engine mode but i have had a few pops along the way. turn the vac off before closing the valve it’s attached too seems to alleviate that, doing the opposite can be interesting.

more than once i’ve almost pulled my hair out trying to figure out why i couldn’t get it to flare, it’s always turned out to be an air leak somewhere before the flaring tool as opposed to the gasifier making good gas.

we live we learn. if you’re not making a few mistakes you’re probably not doing anything… a fellow (was my boss at the time) once told me that… so i’ve always tried to make my share :slight_smile:

Pepe,

Good work on the ICE run . I have a snowblower that I damaged a couple of seasons ago. Making me think about it…

Make sure you are not using the gas can to hold your flare as shown in the photo ! Big potential for fireworks as you probably know.
That flare pipe should get hot enough to melt plastic a foot away.

Hi Gary, The green can is a potable water jug, but no matter , it would melt too! Luckily it’s just the handiest thing I had of that height to hold things in place. It’s important for us all to be keenly aware of gasoline as we tool around the shop and to alert others of the potential that they were “going to move” after whatever.
My motor has electric start, a biggy to save the cranking arm, although I’ve seen some hand pullers start rather easily. You need a motor to experiment with and it’s a lot of fun, too, to finally run on wood gas.
I put my next run off til tomorrow, got side tracked with fencing today. Hope to post another vid real soon.
Thanks for commenting.
Pepe

I implemented a few piping changes suggested by members here and had a more successful run on my ICE. Here’s the link. Enjoy, Pepe.
I don’t know what that odd sound is in the video, it wasn’t there in real life. My wife’s camera outputs MOV files and the new editing program for them, uhh, well, ummm ain’t as user friendly as the old windows movie maker. I’m going back to the older camera, the editing is so intuitive.

I can’t seem to post the pics I took with my wife’s camera??? Will try a short vid clip tomorrow.

Good job Pepe! Now put it all on a trailer so you can ride around the yard. :slight_smile:

Oh, your pics might be too big. Need to make smaller versions before uploading, 16 MB max.

BBB!!

Hi Pepe,
Nice work ! You have that engine purring really nice.
Thanks for the inspiration to get a motor running !

Good morning Pepe,

If you think you are hooked now just wait until you are out on a long trip and the only reason you stop at gas station is your wife made you!

SWEM (smile with every mile)
BBB (burn baby burn)
HWWT (have wood will travel)

Chris, Thanks for the atta boy and you know the trailer thought crossed my mind. However, sometimes crossing one’s mind is a short trip, lol.
You’re also right about the pic size. I thought it was odd that all I saw from my outdoor scene was a very small section of it, maybe a few letters I wrote on the tank. I’m using my wife’s camera and my thumb muscle memory is blindly pushing the old button spot! I must have changed the save size option. Hmmm, now where’s that manual/?

Gary, Thanks, man. You’re feeling exactly what I felt as I previewed others around pop off engine after engine. I was inspired by so many with great ideas on ways to go. My particular way was, 'I’m going to build this (these) things from obtanium(fit right in with my MEN lifestyle) as I’ve heard Mike LaRosa say. Waste can be gold, I see it every day! Try pricing out what your obtanium is going for new. That’ll inspire you! lol. I will post the design I used, a collection of ideas from others and a “to the imbert numbers” hour glass hearth.
I have a bunch of “how I did it” pics I could post if you’d find it helpful. My trip to here has been a 1 1/2 yr or more learning curve and I have a unit that works pretty good so far. Are their more refinements on the way? Sure, this has become my Beta. I’ve started a single air inlet manifold and will finish it today. Those were the pics I tried to post yesterday.
I have a small generator I hope to fire up on Our Independence Day.
Pepe

Hello Wayne,
I ran back and forth with that snow blower about 30 times! lol. Great afternoon! Got some really good tips from the members. I love this site.
Thank you, Pepe

Hi Pepe
Good to hear you are soon going to loaded generator running.
A loaded engine will draw more fuel gas.
More fuel gas demanded with get your reactor core heats UP and tarring problems AND some of the bridging problems that are caused by fuel chunks tarring together will decrease from the internal rising heat keeping the normal occurring upper system tars and volatiles, well; hot and volatile and then getting sucked down and flowing down through the oxidization zone as internal fuels for it just as you want them to be. Not being PITA wastes and Not just building up to the cooler outer walls causing problems.
This is why I have said from hard learned experience that blower or ejector flaring is a very poor substitute if the intent is to be engine running.
IT WILL NEVER SIMULATE THE OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS OF A PISTON INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE.
Yeah. Bold statement. But this is the Small Engine USERS section.
Flare staring geeks can go into another corner of the gasifier world and dream their dreams. Room enough here somewhere for all.

In your obtainium/MENS theme now you have a workable hearth go bone out a few self cleaning ovens for their good high temp 1000F capable insulation. Now try externally wrapping your oxidization/pyrolization/lower hopper zones that I can see in your system pictures. Hold in some of the heat now bleeding away and force it to rise up internally and watch your system performance jump up a big step.

Have a Happy 4th.
Woodgasing IS All about expressing your individual Freedom and Independence. It is about freeing yourself from the Energy company monopolists, their paid lobbyist and bought politicians.

Steve Unruh

1 Like

My 2 cents…

I agree wholeheartedly with Steve on that

Hi Everyone, Happy Independence Day,
I finished my single air inlet manifold finally. Man, retrofits are really time consuming.
Plan to do this a part of the build from day 1. Can’t wait to fire it up later today!
Pepe

Happy Fourth to you! It is always takes more work once the punch list is complete. Keep it up…your success inspires us!

Thanks Wayne, I also have been inspired by many. I have closed my pepesgasification site and want to thank all of you here for your posts. I will have the time to post my stuff here to a really responsive inspiring group.
The active members of my group, for the most part are already here anyway, now we’re all in one place, much more efficient and interesting.
Pepe

happy 4th… hope everyone has a wonderful day

1 Like

Hi Pepe, I tried to find your phone number today but nothing is for free anymore. Glad I checked in here to see you had shut your group down and it wasn’t yahoo that did it. Thanks for dragging “Ben’s” crowd out of the woodwork … That had to be done !! … If you get a chance and it doesn’t cost you, give me a call at 608-623-3000 and leave your number if you don’t get me or send me a note at PO Box 383 Linden, WI 53553. Of course that number is busy right now as I’m typing on it. What the heck is Max going to do now ??? Stay well and have a nice 4th … All fireworks are canceled here due to drought and burn bans but I will be throwing packs of crackers out on the highway today and plan two trips with the wood car … Have to be careful though… Thanks again, Mike LaRosa