My first small engine run

Hi All,
I took 1/2 the day to put together my first cooling tube. The welds could be a little neater, but I believe they are air tight, burn right through those spot welds, guys! I’m psyched just to have one done. It turned out just as I planned and I have the final placements marked for all 4 tubes. Two sets of tubes will be opposite each other. First pic, a few inside tack welds to get started. Last pic, dismantle the parts for cleaning, gasket replacement, etc. I can’t tell you how good it is to be able to get at this for changes relatively easily. I can easily maneuver around the unit or maneuver the unit around.
Pepe
EDIT In the third pic the statements should be reversed.

That’s a big handle you got there. Put a spout on the other side and all your neighbors will say " Dang! That crazy Pepe’s running his machines with a giant Tea Pot!!"
They’ll say " That Pepe’s a genius!" Just funnin ya a little.
When are you going to put up a video of her running. I’ve watched every vid I can find about woodgas…I need more. I’ll try to get a vid up soon. I have been having trouble here. All my family is women now and God says : " She will bruise your heel" ever try to walk with a bruised heel??
Lookig good Pepe, Gordon

Hi guys. I have that same bounce house blower. It puts out about 3" of pressure at zero flow.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
I watch your progress with much interest. I don’t understand quite what you mean by the zero flow bit. I’m presuming it means a no load situation. Thanks for chiming in.
Pepe

Hi Gordon,
Short and stout she is, but don’t say it out loud. Shins ain’t no fun either! That is one heck of a handle though. I’m inside til springish weather, I’m afraid. I don’t want to rush my changes, I’m enjoying being back in the shop (yes it’s well insulated and has elec heat). I know, I know where is my loyalty to wood. How did you know they call me crazy Pepe, lol?
After that first tube, I did some fine tuning on the total fit as you see here.
Pepe

Just got that “forbidden” thing.

I tried to edit the above post with text and got another forbidden. It left the pics though with the original statement. Anyhow, I spent the afternoon with the oil drum. Finished 3 sets of ends and the 2 inch and 3 inch strips to box them in. Assembly starts in the am.
Pepe

Very nice Pepe. Looks like a lot of work to me but you are for sure a getter done guy getting her done. and very nicly I might add.

Thanks Jim
I’m leaving out punctuation it seems to get me the forbidden message so here is my gold list.
Burner old propane tanks monorator hopper discarded water pressure tank
cooler old swing set frame cyclone and preheat shroud an old fire extinguisher encased in a zamboni ice chute filter dead water heater
I love and Im always panning for gold lol.
Pepe

I am thinking i might make something of that design / I am low on tube / and its expensive, and i got lots a drum and barrow steel / Thanks /for posting/ my camera is broke again , so new pics are not up for me yet. Have fun building, It sure racks up the HOURS.

Hey Kevin,
Thanks for the comment. My original 8-12 hrs estimate is falling short, but when I’m done that will all disappear. And yes, I am having fun with this, so the hours fly by.
Pepe

Kevin, I spent those HOURS in the shop today. I’m sure glad the end pieces are ready for joining. The completed tube has a mistake. I welded on the plate I was supposed to leave off for welding access. Drat.
Then I went ahead and did it again. Not exactly drat this time. At least I caught it before I welded all 3 sides.
Last pic shows how the bottom edge will be welded to the hopper from the inside of the tube. Rest will be welded from the outside. This eliminates have to do an overhead weld, aghh! Tomorrow, I’ll cut out my mistakes and replace them after the hopper weld. Drat, I hate backing up.
Pepe

I couldn’t edit the last post, so I’ll explain here. The first pic is just a line up. The second pic shows the correct orientation. The third pic shows the bottom to be welded to the hopper from the inside. The rest will be welded from the outside.
Pepe

Put the tubes together today. Tomorrow will be fit them on the hopper day!
The perspective is misleading, the tubes are all the same size. Sorta.
Pepe

Neat job :slight_smile:

I like this idea, soon there will be spring time with a petro free truck, that will be nice not worrying about the next political lie.

Nice job Pepe. I sure wish I could stay focused long enough to make that kind of progress. It seems to take me forever just to get an idea and before the day is half gone I change my mind or get interrupted. So far today I have not even gotten to breakfast!

In built Heat exchanger and insulation

1 Like

Ignaz, is that flexible tube airtight? If not, I think you may have some big problems with it.

Yes it is Air tight ss ,i use it also for the gasifier outlet and other connectiion .But it very diffcult to weld
Regards Ignaz