My TSI Machines

is that some kind of sycamore? What is it???

Hmm l vote for alder. Am l far off?

It’s the sycamore seedlings in post #66. I started them from seeds that I found out back. First they started in a starter pack. I’ve learned a lot from them.

Anybody know if I can store them outside in the freezing winter or should I plant them this late winter?

1 Like

Hi Jeff, They grow here like crazy, almost being a nuisance, I cut down about 100 saplings last fall this summer their all back growing out of the stumps. I don’t know for sure but I doubt if cold will hurt them. Our climate is not that much different than yours. If you want more seed pods I’ll send you all you want, in the fall they are every where,hahaha!

1 Like

Al, I hope they grow that much for me. Big bonus that I can coppice them. I wasn’t sure if being in pots might make the winter deep freeze a problem. Maybe I will plant most of them this fall and keep a few through the winter in pots and plant them next fall.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, Either plant these seedlings this fall or put the pots in a cool corner of your garage but do not let them sit outside. Speaking from experience here, the freezing and thawing will kill them. You could also bury them under a thick blanket of hay mulch, but do not let them go through many freeze/thaw cycles. If you keep them in a garage or basement, make sure they do not dry out. If you decide to plant them this fall, make sure the soil drains fairly well. If not, the seedlings will be lifted by the frost. A good layer of mulch can help prevent this, but that also attracts evil voles that will girdle your seedlings. At least sycamore is not a tasty treat for deer.
Gary

2 Likes

Jeff, I forgot to mention, they always seem to grow in low laying wet areas(creeks, streams) around here.

1 Like

Thanks Gary, I’ll plant most of them this fall. I’ll also keep a few in my unheated shop. Hope you are doing well ! !

This year has been a total zero as far as doing gas work but at least I have the mill running now, it’s been at least five years and that is too long of a gap to get my “sawdust fix”. If ya know what I mean… :wink:

Where in East Mi.
I am in the Eastern thumb

Paint job, fenders, new seat.

replaced electric winch with homemade mechanical winch.

homemade clutch with jack shaft.

and no time to use it…

15 Likes

Wow Jeff!
That looks too good to use.

1 Like

Make the time Jeff make the time ! what a great piece of charcoal machinery for sure .
Dave

1 Like

Thanks guys !

In order to work the winch in I had to remove the brake linkage so now I need to re-do the brakes. It will be going to the shop picnic this month. Last year the tractor version fitted in with the classic cars. This spring I did try it out with the winch and chain drive. Had to scrap the v-belt drive in order to fit every thing in.

3 Likes

That is one good looking and cool machine - icing is free fuel :slight_smile: !

1 Like

Going for a ride to work tomorrow. I’m still amazed every time I start one of these up and they run and run nice. That’s the hardest thing for me to figure out.

a view under the fenders/seat.

it gets to soak in the rain over night but the front part is under a HF tarp.

Edit: dang - I forgot to paint the transaxle !

8 Likes

Still looks amazing in my eyes paint or no paint on the transaxle , a real work of art there Jeff well done

Dave

2 Likes

This thread is inspiring. I have more than enough equipment out back, but nothing really small and handy. Looking at your unit, I am envisioning a little tracked unit with a huge motor built from the ground up to run char. Could build in a PTO genset, maybe a snow plow or mower or… and… lol!

Little home made machines are cool as all get out, and I can dream about them all day! Even better if they are doing work for you without drinking money from your wallet while doing it!

3 Likes

Thanks Will, I still like big iron but the older I get the better the small stuff agrees with me. I think of the big iron as my pioneer iron and the small as my settlers iron.

Tracks ? – well now - check out the Krabat and Agria

7 Likes

Jeff, thought you may like this;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrIsjH6bntg

2 Likes

Started the forwarder conversion. This poor thing gets hacked on too much. The tiny wheels at the rear will be replaced with the wheels that were on the original log arch. You can see one of the hubs on the floor.