New Mercedes Benz E230 wood gas project

Thank you all! It was wery helpfull. Seems you all se roughly the same resaults.

Bob, l dont have fancy gadgets like you (higrometer :wink:) but l usualy burned 4 years old oak chunks, bone dry, but now since l learned oak is bad for condensing hoppers, l will burn mostly alder/wilow/hazelnut chunks, sundryed in summer.

Allso, l am insulateing the hopper with 2" of laminated rockwool/alu foil wich shuld, from my previous experiances with insulated hoppers, make the hopper temperatures in the wood pirolise range, 300-350c. So, if l top the hopper up at a cooldown, the accumulated heat shuld be plenty to boil the moisture of the wood to near 0%. At cooldowns, the hopper is essentialy a charcoal kiln.
Now, there is just the problem of disposeing all the water. At my previous system the steam had to go trugh the hearth and in the cooling pipes. There was about half a liter of condensation collected after l left a hopper full at cooldowns. With water came some tar that culd not be cracked by the already too cool hearth. Needless to say, this was problematic.

2 Likes

It is dispointing that you can not get some kind of hopper cooling tubes in your hopper system to work in the trunk area. It would solve the problems of the moisture going all though the hearth and tars with it. On the positive side the tars you are cracking are making more gases for the amount of wood you are using.
Using the hopper as a kiln to cook the wood is a good idea.
Yes fancy gadgets, you really don’t need them. I usually just put the wood up to my lips, and come pretty close to telling if it is wet or dry enough to go into the gasifier. I haven’t used it for quite awhile just to show everyone on DOW that it is dry wood in the center.
Bob

1 Like

Inside the trunk is unfortunaly impossible yes, as tests had shown. At least thats for air cooled tubes.

Well, the “charcoal kiln” hopper is more of a nesessity thain anything else. It all must be cool to the touch.
Hope it works bettet on this system.

Ha, interasting. Never heared of the lip test!

2 Likes

Yes. “love your wood.” face contact for moisture works with experience/practice. WWII operator reading says they use blow trough for moisture testing too.
Experience with my predominate Doug Fir soft wood and I can tell by chunk weight.
Ha! My trained hand gets really fouled up picking up hickory or mahogany woods.
tree-farmer Steve unruh

2 Likes

Exactly Steve, my moisture meter is in the hand too (weight) over the years of working with wood such things get to you naturaly. Allso the “ring” or “echo” of the wood tells its story.

5 Likes

Hi guys,
This is stuff l work with every day.

Its called “filtration aid agent”. Its basicly perlite flour. Wery light and insulative. If touched with a flame, it glows white without phisicaly changeing.
I have dumped a few thousant bags in the dispensing machine in my time here, only now realised this has potential in gasifier related stuff.
At filling the new hearth with fresh charcoal, l usualy make a ash cone first out of some ash from the stove.
Do you think its worth to try and make it out of this perlite flour? Or will it just blow away, since it doesent get sintred as ash does?

2 Likes

Maybe mix it with ash or something heat sticky.

1 Like

Hi Kristijan ,
you could try mixing it with sodium silicate ,that will bond it together and be mouldable and withstand the high temps .
Dave

2 Likes

I decided to give this a try first, those are ss sacrificial plates, extending all the way to the restriction. The idea is for them to reflect heat, support the ashcone and enable a smooth flow in the hearth. If that doesent work, l think l will try the perlite flour sprayed multiple times with sodium silicate solution (thanks Dave).

5 Likes

An acorn nut will protect the threads for removal later.

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan, my mild steel plates warped down by the reduction zone. Is there any way you could weld stainless steel pipe in between the pieces at the bottom, and have the pipe go to the out side of the reduction pipe? It wouldn’t even have to be stainless steel pipe.That would keep them in place. With the ash packed in behind the plates that should work.
Bob

2 Likes

Acorn nut and anti-seize on the threads. For good measure.
Bob

2 Likes

Well Carl, thats gonna be a hard one since the bolts are actualy air nozzles :slight_smile:

Bob, l think l see what you mean! Makes sence. Yes l think l culd do that.

3 Likes

My bad, not paying attention. Perhaps half a coupling nut??

4 Likes

Kristijan,
A couple more suggestions :smile:
I would screw in or cut off the bolts/nozzles flush with the nuts + copper paste on the threads.
The sacrificial plates I would leave the way they are. If any warping occurs in the lower region just bend them in to hide in the ash cone or cut the lower halves off. The ash cone will protect the lower half of the firetube anyway.

Or… similar to Bob’s suggestion: A larger diameter pipe around the restriction could be a lose fit. Only high enough to keep those fingers from warping into the flow path.

2 Likes

Hi guys, hard to see but only but in the top pic you can see all nozzles exept this one are flush with nuts.

Yes the bending inward is the only thing that concerns me.

2 Likes

Hi guys,
Been buissy last few days, pig slaughter day and anual technical inspection on the Mercedes, meaning l had do dissademble and reasemble everything wg related. Glad thats past.

Here are some pics of the sistem

@TomC, since l hadthe scale out from slaughter day, l weighted the gasifier&hopper. Thats 60 pounds so l think JO and l culd smugle it trugh airport inspection :smile:
Here is a pic of my sooty hand next to the hearth.

12 Likes

Inspection OK? No questions asked about why the trunk floor was missing?

2 Likes

That is a very impressive build
Hard to believe it can be so miniaturized
You have a system to be proud of

3 Likes

Kristijan, and JO; Let me know when and I will meet you in Chi town with wood or charcoal, thinking charcoal gasifier could be even smaller yet.

Kristijan, is that your thein baffle filter in the right side of the picture of the gasifier? TomC

3 Likes