New Mercedes Benz E230 wood gas project

Where is the hundred like buttom, I like the Ben Peterson under the car cooling rail design, he hss done it on a Ford Mustang car. You have thought this out real good I can see.
Bob

3 Likes

JO, yes, it passed, a slight problem with the "hand"brake but the kind inspector helped a bit with the foot brake to pass.
Ha, l camuflaged it all wery well :smile:

Thanks Michael, but first, it has to work too! It amazes me too how is it possible that this 12x14" cilinder container is gonna power a 135hp engine. woodgas is amazeing.
But l steped to a boundry here. While l culd make it about half lighter useing thin ss, smaller isnt possible anymore.

Tom, no, thats just background :slight_smile: the 12" baffle neaded to go becouse it was to wide and allmost touched the trunk wall, wich started to burn the paint. I am building a new 9" baffle.

Bob, ha, Ben has a much more profesional build :smile:

5 Likes

I know that none of the information on this Thein filter included dimensions. But from looking at what everyone has built, I was thinking the diameter of the baffle should be three times the diameter of the pipe connecting the baffle to the system. One pipe diameter for the incoming pipe and one diameter for the out going pipe, and one diameter to match the space of the incoming pipe. TomC

1 Like

Afternoon shift caught me about 2 hours early to finish installing the crude system, but here are some pics of todays instalment

The gasifier suporting plate

Aluminium box lined up with it, 90° rotated

Gasifier installed

Rockwool plates installed. You can see the lighting port on top, ant it might aswell be the air intake. Some air circulation in the insulated alubox shuld aid the cooling some

Rotated 90° in the right position

Voila! Top lid on, trunk compartment finished. Now its just a matter or crawling under the car and connecting the gasifier-baffle-cooler.

11 Likes

Pretty box! If I didn´t know I would never had guessed it´s a gasifier in that last pic.

5 Likes

Hey JO, when Kristijan get it all put together, and running. I’m giving him my vote for this years Stealth Wood Gasifier Build Award.
The SWGBA 2017
I wonder who will get the SCGBA this year? I know it’s not my charcoal gasifier. Lol
Bob

3 Likes

Remember his Seat SCGB? Kristijan is very good at stealth builds.
With this one he will be hidden by a smokescreen even when refueling :smile:

4 Likes

Haha, thanks for the vote Bob :smile: btw, we wait patiently for your chargasifiers testdrive! You must be preety near right?
JO,
Ha, l think about my litle Seat often nowdays. I loved how it purred on on chargas. Might just convert it back someday. So many ideas and so litle time/resources…

4 Likes

Hi guys!

Breif update. I have been strugleing with this project a lot. Problems upon problems.

The new insulated hopper works great at not emiting any heat in the trunk. This means all the heat is trapped in the hopper and with that small (10gal) hopper the hopper center temp reaches wood pirolisis temps in just 15miles of driveing on medium load. Althugh preheated wood is good for gas productiun under load, idle is impossible. The rich pirolisis gas first suffocates the engine, and displaces intake air thus cooling the charbed. Cool charbed is firstly unable to crack tars produced above, and secondly, unables quick driveoff. I had s similar problem on my Alubox gasifier on the chevy, but l thod since the MB has a bigger engine, it shuld defeat the offgasing. But no.

A nother problem was refueling. So much smoke emited from the trunk is hard to hide. You cant always find a peacefull place to refuel, or shuld l say, allmost never.

I tryed pure engine grade charcoal in it. Power was low (expected-restriction in the lmbert gasifier is not designed for such small fuel) but man it drove well! Idle, ecceleration… wery nice. And cool! Baffle touchable hot.

Ok. Tryed further. I mixed just enough engine grade char with egg size chunks to clear the voids between the wood.
Power was better, idle too, but after a while it all constipated again.

This sayd, its time for plan B.

I will pull out the gasifier and mount it on a small trailer. There will be a conciderably bigger condensing hopper on it, big cooling and filtration sistem. And room for wood ofcorse. this will be a long trip asembly.
Now, for the every day 20km to work and back drives, l will revisit the dark side. I sure missed it :wink:

Anyway, l am still not sure on the design l will use, but l am looking at Kalle gasifiers, main reason being heat and neaded insulation. More of it when l do some more investigation before l make any moves.

9 Likes

So, charcoal in the trunk and wood in the trailer.
One of Patrick’s last designs was a two in one design that used both. Charcoal for short trips and wood for long hauls. If I recall correctly it was on a fancy 4wd machine.

1 Like

Hi Kristijan, sorry to here that the trunk hiding stealth gasifier is not working so well. I know you think and rethink things out covering all the possible ways to do this project. The Dark Side awaits: With just a little different gasifier like a charcoal design and hot gas filtering, hooking it up to what you have built already will make I think a great design for charcoal gasifier stealth in the trunk design. Put that ski box on top of the car and you will have plenty of fuel to travel on. And no big smoke clouds when reloading the hopper. The double cyclone up front for final filtering of dust particles. Exhaust for temperature control in the reactor and water drip for more hydrogen gas. You could even add oil drip for more power.
Nothing wasted on the present build.
I know you can do it.
Bob

2 Likes

Jeff, you are correct.

Patrick who? Culd you provide some more info? I am interasted.

Bob, you sayd it well! A simple charcoal gasifier is fairly easy to make, all the rest is already installed. Well if l do go with the Kalle gasifier there are more twists but still shuld be done in a couple of days once l set a detailed plan. Then, its all about produceing enough charcoal. I need about 3000 pounds of charcoal per year, and its production will have to be inteligently designed. Looking forward to the challenge!

4 Likes

The good things about making the charcoal is all the fine beautiful black gold that goes back into the garden as fine biochar. Nothing goes to waste, it just recycles back into the Beautiful Creation of the design of Life. It’s just Amazing
Bob

5 Likes

Correct spelling: Pederick. That was a big name in Australia. He sold a lot of gasifiers back in the day. I think one of my books had a picture of it but I may have given it away. There was a little info on the web but that seems to be missing now. It seem like most of the Australian gasifier stuff is missing from the web now or I forgot what I search for before. There never was much info on the dual version anyhow. I think he was working on it in the 80’s.

1 Like

If a combi gasifier is possible, how about a spare trunk lid with a click-on protruding condensing hopper foor wood use and charcoal for stealth mode?

4 Likes