New project! Normans next gassifier truck

Marcus, I like your way of explaining things as you go and the way you think ahead which will kill most problems you might run into. Keep up the good work!

11 Likes

Thank you Don im trying my best to work with scrap metal and make a truck that is presentable for woodgas, while trying to maintain some assemblance of stealth. Its a hard line to walk as fuek prices just keep going up, trying not to rush myself and screw something up in the process that bites and has to be redone. Time is money they say, but time spent on the build now should be dollars saved later. And in turn time saved for later. I definitely did not get finished before hunting season as I had planned, but no matter ill just be happy when this truck is done and I can start moving forward with the next project and spend more time with the family. Wife suggested when the truck is done she wants to go fishing at a new spot every weekend with it… now how can I argue with a proposal like that???

14 Likes

I was concerned about the durability of the lids on the bell on my rocket mass heater and found that I could double them up and still use the same bolt on band. I’m going to have to send you some fuzzy dice to hang on that mirror otherwise you will never be cool.

11 Likes

I wanna find some stainless poverty caps to weld to my drum lids. The solid dish covers. Anything to help shed water.

6 Likes

I was thinking about making some sort of domed lid and welding over the top of that one, made me think of garys cook top mod again :rofl: i had planned to implement that into this build, but in my head for this truck it just looked tacky, not the look im going for. But with no insulation in the drop box i might be able to throw a cast iron skillet on top and do breakfast

7 Likes

I mentioned a while back when I built my wood dryer that the top and bottom of a old Weber grill fits weldably in a 55 gallon drum in case it would help anyone down the line.

7 Likes

I have also had the thought in the back of my mind to find some sort of a domes that could help shed water on my barrels. Ive been thinking about using some sort of larg stainless bowls for my small barrels.
A grill cover is a good idea.
Not saying i will implement this.( might not like the look of it when it comes right down to it.) But allowing water a way to shed off my build and not allowing at to pool is always in the forfront of my mind when building.

8 Likes

Very satisfying feeling watching your videos, Marcus. Your truck will be a state of the art build for sure. Thank you for taking the time documenting the process.

11 Likes

Kinda wish i had video documented the toyota as well, but at the time i didnt have a camera that would do this sort of thing. Hoping to get a better camera still so i can do multiple views while im working

8 Likes
14 Likes

Good morning Marcus and thanks for the video .

I guess you have noticed it is very difficult to drill through the floor of the cab. It seems the fabric that is layered between the two metal sheets will tangle up on a drill bit.

A center punch and hammer is the best I have found :blush:

Keep up the good work .

12 Likes

Good morning Wayne
Yessir, I spent a lot of years wrapping carpet insulation around a drill bit and frustration and I used your center punch trick this time around. Bonus, with the punch method it doesnt remove any material, so a self tapping screw has a real good bite in the floor through a punched hole

12 Likes

You made it a flow drill :grinning::+1:

I missed you bed- installation video. Thats a real nice one. Thanks. It looks good, the truck. Golden hands you have and a born entertainer. Thanks.

8 Likes

You taking that truck to SEMA Marcus? You should. It’s going to be a work of art. I don’t see any kind of stake pockets though. Your bags of wood are probably expecting some side support. :innocent:

4 Likes

At the moment i have no stake pockets and no tie down points which is a frustration. Have a full bed load of chunks on right now in containers and the visible ratchet straps are just a “illusion of safety” in case johnny law sees me rolling into work monday

8 Likes

Hey Marcus,
For your bed tie-down points how about using some Eye-bolts?
Looks like you could get two per side drilled down through your outer edge boards through the non-gas carrying crossmembers tubes.
In-between eye-bolt tie-down points through the outer boards bolted. With the undersides of those bolts double nutted with then many holes galvanized plumbers hanger tape reinforced down to the actual truck frame rails.

The eye-bolts above would be point you could then cross-bolt some side board to, inside of the gas cooling tubes.

Yeah that gas carrying lower edge piping is not something you want to be loads tying into.
Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

I have been thinking about eye boltsfor side board mounts I have seen that done before and it looked pretty clean im also planning some small light duty d ring style tie downs on the outer edge boards between cross members through bolted or even strip steel mounted so the whole board reinforces all the mounts

7 Likes

My apologies for the audio there’s a section I did where it is time lapse and I have been playing around with the YouTube editor system adding in background music and for whatever reason it decided to play the volume Extremely Loud and I can’t figure out how to turn down

15 Likes

You probably added some music from ‘Freedom Rock’!! :rofl: :rofl:
Since you are probably not old enough to have seen the commercials. (you just need to watch like the first 10 seconds to understand)

6 Likes

Put some Otis Redding on there Marcus and I won’t care how loud it is.

3 Likes