New project! Normans next gassifier truck

That looks like the way too build cooling racks, with lighter tubes clamped in later, those main connectors should last at leiste 10 years.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s my hope, I wasnā€™t able to find stainless but this came along and I think it will be quit a few years before it rust out from the inside. Rear post should be cool enough to double as anchor points to tie anything onto the bed. Thin exhaust pipe 14 gauge for the tube in between should have adequate cooling/condensing capabilities I think

6 Likes

Sound like it should cool enough, i see some guys useing aluminum for the cooling tubes, though that might rot out sooner, Time will tell as we here motre from those guys cooling rack inner pipes. You can all ways adfd more tubes if its a little too slow cooling, or squeze another heat exchanger in and cool gas more. Wayne sure gets by with a small cooling rack on his v10, and he works his wood truck hard at times.

5 Likes

Hey Marcus .

If you ever decide to come this way with your truck let me know so I can find a place behind the bushes or barn to park mine out of sight :grinning:

12 Likes

Mr. Wayne, I must remember this comment of yours, because it will come in handy many times. :grinning:

9 Likes

Good Morning Wayne, As good as your machines all look, I may have too sink mine in the swamp, next time Marus shows up with this truck build. HE sure has a nice shop setup.With nice welding tips though, I usually grind my ean pipes too fit by hand grinder, now after seeing him cut his pipe notches with chop saw , i should probbly pick up a chop saw with angle measure device.

8 Likes

I picked up a miter saw at a thrift store. It was made for wood but it spins an abrasive wheel just fine.
Rindert

7 Likes

I have a older chop saw in the shop that has become obsolete and canā€™t get cutting wheels for it anymore, I plan to remove the saw piece and utilize the stand and mount a cheap bandsaw to it for small work like this. Used chop saws can be had very cheap and pawn shop band saws 30-40$ bolt the 2 together and you get a handy little tool! At about 1/3 the price of a nice free standing unit which around me sell used for 2-400$

Just remember Wayne, I wouldnā€™t be doing any of this if it wasnā€™t for your work. You inspired me to learn more buy the book and start building. Fabrication is something a really enjoy doing creating some thing from nothing or better yet something from thrown away garbage like I have done on both trucks now. Besides each of our trucks has our own little custom touches to meet our needs, they are one in the same. Your v10 the grandfather of us all, my v10 the young whipper snapper with attitude that needs to learn to love his vegetables (the wood flavor variety)

10 Likes

I wonder how many people besides me ended up on this site because of the Mother Earth New article 10 plus years ago?

9 Likes

To be honest I wish I had known about gasification or Mother Earth news early to learn about it, but Iā€™m glad I started when I did after kids with some patience and after years of wrenching and fabrication experience. Iā€™ve a feeling if I had tried this years ago it would have been a big failure. I absolutely owe my success with woodgas to the members here on this forum and their vast knowledge and help! I still plan to go back to my metal, wood and auto shop teachers of high school and show them this I think it would be a awesome class wide project

12 Likes
15 Likes

Is that center post 2" or 3"?

Edit: Nevermind you explained in the video, just had to watch it again.

8 Likes

Yea itā€™s 3ā€ but that scribe tool works for any size pipe

6 Likes

Hmm, when I see your work, I feel ashamed of my works.

5 Likes

No need, it took me many years to learn the things I have and fabrication is a passion of mine. I could have slammed this all together a long time ago but I want this one to look good, and present a pretty look of gasification. A conversation piece and maybe put it in some shows while enjoying driving it and working it like a real truck should. I still have some things I built many years ago that are not near so pretty. Still feels good to have built them. Itā€™s also very helpful to have all this shop equipment at my disposal, makes many tasks much easier and faster

11 Likes

Every episode I canā€™t think of anything to say except - very impressive.
One question though. Iā€™ll probably find out next episode, but patience is not me. How are the rear posts being connected to the rear tank? Is the bottom square frame part of the cooler and youā€™re connecting from it?

6 Likes

Yes the bottom rail turns the corner through the frame rail, it is continuous flow through and then at the rear most flat section each rail is capped off internally I never showed that in the video just passing mentioned it way back. So Iā€™ll pull off the mitered corner pieces under the bed hidden for those 2 lines that will also connect and mount the rear condensate tank so the tank will be integral to the bed where on my Toyota that tank is completely removable. It should be very accessible as well should I ever need to do any patch work later down the road as well

6 Likes

Marcus, if you coated the interior with temperature-resistant paint, your system would last a long time and the surface would also become smoother to clean more easily,ā€¦:thinking:

6 Likes

That piping does look good as it is. Would a clear coat take the heat? Your scribe trick is good. Normally if I want to do a perpendicular pipe to pipe I will just hole saw out the larger pipe an eighth larger and just slip the other pipe into it. I guess the downside is if you want a smooth interior surface on the first pipe.

6 Likes

Yes I Thank God for Wayne Keith he the man that got me enough faith in the working design, Through his vidios driveing and showing his basic design with such great confidence.You knew his book and plans wood be worth it, GOT ME GOING FOR WOOD gas ALLSO. On another note Marcus welding tips are a good thing for so many would be wood gas beginners that dont have any welding intuitions/or experiance, might be more proned too take a basic adult education, vocational welding and or buy a welder and practice welding, from watching welding tip vidios like marcus norman building vidioā€™s. The camera would have broke by now if it were me filming ,tieing two water heaters together to make one Wayne keith heat exchanger, I made my exchanger about 6" too long, but it will stick over the roof line about 4 " only anyway its soon time too check temps gains, after light up,and drive.

6 Likes