New project! Normans next gassifier truck

A good welder can take a crappy cheap machine and make it work. A novice on the same machine will soon be in a straight jacket. Confucius say.

7 Likes

I would much rather have a good used 250 amp mig welder than any of the popcorn paper thin sheet metal migs, near useless mig welders, or maybe call them strait jacket post welders. I got my eye on that eastwood 250 amp mig, though the 250 amp 3 in one would be niceer yet too have, The 250 amp standard wood be more than enough for mig welding gasifiers all day long.

5 Likes

Kevin,
Blue or green paintersā€™ tape lengths of yarn string over the top of your pickup top.
Have somebody else drive. You in the back watching.
You will see that the back half have lifted and are swirling.
You are fine with a front of cargo box sticking up a bit in this already stirring air.
Now tape your yarns to a vertical stick held bed up to above the cab back edge at least 24 inches.
You will see the swirling air transition to clean flowing air. Donā€™t stick up above that transition.
S.U.

7 Likes

hi steve, i will be fine with a little over the cab, i was shooting for cab height , and over shot the length on my 43" heat exchanger, I still got enough room below the housing for ash, and room on top for some 2" ceramic insulate.Making the top and bottom hatch / latches today lord willing. About the strings and painters tape, i might leave those on there for camifloge, :beach_umbrella: :city_sunrise:THOUGH if things get as bad as some influenciel predictions, we will all be in wood gas truck factorys welding wood gas trucks for alturnitive power source. The glogalist are shutting down the oil wells 25 years before solar cars/ are viable or afordable / or available.What WAYNE KEITH has talked about, when it shuts down everything will shut down,the semi trucks wont even have fuel for delivery of nesessitys.LOOKS LIKE ITS NEAR.As per many warnings, from repitable sources. MY nest goal is about 365 canning jars,

8 Likes

Tom my little Lincoln weld pack 100 is one of those machines. Plugged straight in to a 30 amp wall socket and using 030 wire it is a great little sheet metal welder. 20 or 15 amp socket or on a extension chord it will spit and spatter so bad you will pull your hair out

3 Likes

I have one of those as well Marcus. Hates HF wire. Is fine with Hobart or Lincoln wire. Iā€™ve never tried any others. Iā€™ve had that thing for 20 years. When they were made in America.

2 Likes

I have thought about it, but man it would be a turd to somehow get inside that rail and get it cleaned out so the paint could adhere instead of peel out. Then there is the problem of flipping the bed around while itā€™s full of paint so everything gets covered properly. Makes me think powder coat would be the way to go with new material, that would be a good smooth finish that apples evenly

4 Likes

My century 100 series didnā€™t like HF wire until I changed the teflon liner in the hose. That made a huge difference. It may still not like it, but it doesnt jam up as much. And the wire is probably too old to really make a good test with because it gets corrosion on it or something. Iā€™m a crappy welder and never used lincoln wire so I canā€™t comment. BUT I HAVE THE WELDING BOOKS :rofl:

5 Likes

Keep your wire or welding rod indoors in a dry placeā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m glad you are still lurking around here Ernie

5 Likes

I keep my stuff in an old Frigidaire with a lot of silica gel packets.

4 Likes

Powder painting is really great, electrostatically, the paint powder is caught on the metal and in the next heating process, it spreads and bakes nicely. I donā€™t know how 600Ā°C paint would do in this process, but there are effective ways to protect the interior of hollow parts, one is to take a plastic tube for compressed air (10mm), install a nozzle at the end, and blow a mixture of air and paint into it , but you pull the tube out so slowly from inside the structure,ā€¦ or create an air flow with vacuum cleaners on one side, and on the other side blowing paint,ā€¦ itā€™s not 100% painted, but letā€™s say 90%ā€¦

6 Likes

Since you mentioned electrostatic, i went all the way to electroplateā€¦ :rofl:

SO I looked it up, Believe it or not, it is possible to electroplate nickel with a 1400C melting point onto steel at home. It has to clean it down to the metal, and it needs a big enough tank to put it in (or for just the inside, it might work by filling with solution with caps over the ends), etc etc. No I donā€™t expect it to be done unless it is all out. Once the nickel is plated on, then it is easy to plate gold on it. Who is going to argue with someone that has a gold gasifier? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

When I worked as a gunsmith we did nickel and gold plating once in a while, it is not hard to do at all. But fitting a 9ā€™x7ā€™ flatbed in a custom made super sized vat would be a little tricky. But since building the Toyota I think a gasifier should either be black like the tar it makes because it will inevitably get everywhere with a guy like me running it, or stainless so at least it can be cleaned and still look good. Black is my preferred color for most things anyway, it can get pretty dirty before others on the road can really tell itā€™s dirty. Another need for me is must be able to take a pressure washing and hold paint. All my trucks get worked as hard as a truck should and looks just arenā€™t critical to me. Scuffs, dents and scratches tell a story of this ainā€™t no mall crawler garage queen show rig. Here we work for a livin!

8 Likes

I bought it to use not to look at just saying. :thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

Great excuse for a backhoe tell the wifey, you are building her that new fishing pond she has always dreamed of! :rofl:

Actually I was wonder if you could do a surface treatment without a vat. I donā€™t think you could ever get an even coat though.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Man even before I got into woodgas I had a habit of buying things and immediately tearing it apart to make them better :grin: local guy had this hodgepodge 20 gallon air compressor that someone had their way with

Hardly shut the truck off from the drive to go get it and had it fully stripped down to the tank I have been desperately searching for to use as a rear condensate tank. I measured out to wanting a 14ā€ diameter by 32ā€ long tank. This Walmart air compressor tank measures out 13 1/2ā€ by 31ā€, PERFECT!

Already has a center drain on bottom which will easily modify to a 2ā€ drain, a offset angled port that was for air compressed into the tank that will modify the same for the rear dump valve/ blower hookup port. That just leaves 2 gas in lines and 2 gas out line quick and easy. And praise the lord the guy wanted 40$ for it when I got there and we shook hands he said he would take 20$!

10 Likes

Did he see your wood truck, that baby collect some char water extra time. and some nice tar too use on tire rim seal paint. I need too find me a decent angle grinder in the 9" 15 amp model.I might hit the pawn shops in flint ,mi se what i can snag a bargin, that allways helps.

4 Likes
13 Likes