New project! Normans next gassifier truck

13 Likes

Put the drain where you planned it. The tank tipping the other way is good, it will keep the drain from plugging up. When I go to drain my tank it is always plugged up with black ash,soot, small char pieces. Yours will be clear when you go to dump it at the 2" drain cap.
Your mistake was a good one this time. I always tilt my truck to the drain side to dump it anyways. On my next build I will make my tank tilt just like the way you have it on yours. I put a water hose up the drain to clean it all out. Good job.
Bob

7 Likes

Just the other day was the first time I had to flush out the rear tank on the toyota I had noticed the water coming out at a very strange angle so I stuck a finger up there and discovered about a 3/4-1" layer of sooty slush on the bottom of the tank it flushed out easily with the garden hose. Its almost dead bottom of the tank though and i only had it partially clog with char once before

8 Likes

I didnā€™t empty mine for a while one time had char back up into the back posts of the rails on both sides. Talk about high vacuum, where could it be from I was wondering. Lol. Yup back tank was full of ash , soot, charcoal too had too use a water hose to clean it all out. I learned not to do that again. Now I am like you clean it more often and save myself from the big clean outs problems. That reminds me it is time for another clean out on the truck. Keep it cleaned out and running good DOW.
I have my clean out at a 30Ā° angle at the end of the tank. Easy to push the hose up into the tank and get to the 2" rubber cap.
Bob

9 Likes

I have taken to weekly char dumps and bi weekly full wash outs to keep things clear with my commute being so long it gets clogged up very quickly

7 Likes

Marcus, what Bob said. The truck rarely sits level and when you stop at the roadside it will probably tilt to the right anyway.

6 Likes

For most roadside stops if Iā€™m on the shoulder of the road it should tip to the right yes, though I try to get off the main road when the truck needs to take a leak and not be seen if I can avoid it haha. The other day I forgot to drain when I came home and realized the tank was full at the end of our gravel road so I stopped and drained on the gravel, when I came home it looked in daylight like someone dropped 5 gallons of oil on the road, whoopsie donā€™t want to peeve the neighbors so I wont do that again!

12 Likes

Yup that black pee holds the dust down but it sure show up and is very notice able. Looks like a bad dirty no,no oil leak on the ground. A great weed killer. I dump mine below the house all the time. No weed problem where it is dumped.
Bob

6 Likes

Iā€™m probably going to be dumping most of my condensate on my driveway to hold the asphalt together.

5 Likes

Haha, I stop to drain about a mile from home every other day DOWing home from work, on a gravel forestry road entry. People passing by sometimes stop to ask me if thereā€™s a problem?
Always complicated to explain. At one point I just told people I had to take leak. But that eventually raised even more questions from those who know I live only a mile away - questioning my bladder capacity :smile:
Iā€™ve resigned and usually tell people I have motor problems - but alright now. Confirms their woodpower preconceptions.

15 Likes

tell them you are doing a study on road improvement.

7 Likes

Gas prices going up steady, fueling the dodge at 4.77$/gallon right now sheeshā€¦ started prepping the truck for bed installation asap, that should really light a fire under my ass to get this thing finished and eating wood. Then full bore into fuel stocking mode.

8 Likes

On our side of the mountains it is $5.45 a gallon. It cost a lot on monies to ship gasoline a 100 miles right. Or it is the USA gasoline from Bosman Montana ship by pipe line. Big gas shortage tank farm in Moses Lake 68 miles away. We better get our new gasifiers up and running on your Dodge and my Jeep soon.
Bob

7 Likes

I agree on wood stocking,once its chunked up it will dry in about a month from what i been hereing, though this damp cool weather might slow down drying timea bit though, i might build a small shed with small cheap cast wood burner, too get some dryer wood dryer sooner, after chunking. Maybe 10 by 14 foot shed well insulated ,with ventilation control or timed fan vent the steam from drying wood.Just for when behind on dry wood ? weather.

2 Likes

Not much cheaper over here in Michigan, its been around 4 bucks a gallon, since getting close too election time,Well i just looked and its 349 gallon today, last few weeks ago its been around 4.25$ gallon most summer average.Im glad we have this WK web site too learn all these wood gas tricks and tweaks, We might be teaching more wood gas than expected, hopefully not fro ww3 though.

7 Likes

Im sure we will see a big jump after november.

I started on my heat exchanger this morning. I need to cut in my crossover tube and my gassifier is done, minus a coat of paintšŸ„³

8 Likes

I just finished another coat of paint on my cooling rails, hoping to get the bed stabbed on tonight. still need to finish lower barrel insulation before it can get all assembled and then gauge hook ups and finish decking the bed. I put on just enough boards to cover the tires so it will be road legal and ill have to ziptie the stock tail lights onto the bed for the moment until I figure a back bumper out, gotta keep it street legal even while Iā€™m installing it all on the truck

6 Likes

What are you going to use for insulation? Couple layers of corigated steal? Or are you wrapping tube with some type of ceramic?

3 Likes

Same ol metal roofing as the toyota got, and a 55 gallon drum liner to keep it all in place. Little trick covering over the top of the crossover cutout its a thin spot so I want to keep it protected best I can. I also layed in a drum lid trimmed down in the bottom of the barrel so it has a nice smooth edge transition to the ammo dump can for char to come out of easily

9 Likes
15 Likes