New WK Gasser Project

First class as usual. I await the paint!

Thanks guys for the kind words. I am currently evaluating options on building a chunker. I WILL need to have a chunker running to DOW this year.
I am going to check on industrial gear heads this week. I am thinking of making a cutting wheel & anvil for my turret lathe just as an experiment. Problem is that the cleanup afterwards will be intense. This lathe runs from 20rpm to 1000rpm. So far, I have found nothing that will even slow down this chuck.

I built a turret lathe chunker today ----- EPIC FAIL!! Learned what it will take to build a chunker for general use. This project was well worth doing for the information on forces & horsepower needed. 2x4 & 2x6 boards shattered ------ 4x4 dried hardwood block stopped the lathe. This is the first time I have seen a J & L #5 stop ----- did not think it was possible.

Excellent example of the forces required to sheer rather then saw a piece of wood. Glad nothing broke but the wood! You are a true pioneer.

Hey Perter.

Hickory can be even tougher .

Wayne, Do you see anything inherently wrong with this setup? I have about a 40 degree sharpened edge ----- should I lay it back further?

How about it guys ------ any ideas before I take this proto- type apart?

Hi Pete,
One thing you might lack is a flywheel for inertia. I am not sure if the lathe has one but it seems important for Waynes chunker. Looks great, good luck, MikeyB

Howdy Peter,
Wonder about green wood…
Ya got any green hardwood you can try?
Don’t know if soaking a piece over night would simulate green wood or not?
What’s the reduction and power input?
Cool test bed
TerryL

Hi Terry,

Don’t know the actual power ratings. It will push a 2’’ spade drill thru solid stock with no pilot hole.

Can take .300 cut on a 12in diameter.

Going to try another anvil design

Peter,

I don’t know what the angle on Waynes or Terry’s cutter is. But I do have 2 axe heads here, a splitting maul and a thinner axe for crosscuts. The maul is 25 degrees, and wont crosscut anything, period. The thin axe is 15 degrees, and more designed for crosscuts.

Too much angle is going to weaken the blade. But I do think you need more than 40 degrees.

Hi Mike,

No flywheel on the lathe but big reduction. Has 20 rpm low speed

Hi Chris,

I am laying back the angle. Going to try wood approximately the same size as Wayne is chunking. Maybe I need to send the same block to Alabama & see if Wayne can chunk it.
That sure would be a good comparison — lathe to a chunker.

Hello Peter,

I would only sharpen on one side forcing the blade in the direction of the anvil. If possible I would have the blade rubbing the anvil. Also you may want to sharpen just a little more than 45 degrees.

The picture below I tried to illustrate having a space to feed the wood and a quick incline to grab and hold, then finish the cut with a slow incline .

I don’t think my chunker would cut dry oak 4x4. I think with dry wood a saw would be much better .

Thanks Wayne,
I will try that feed space design tomorrow. Redesigned the anvil & layed the cutting edge back —cuts much better. Went out & cut a 2 1/2 tree — chunks like butter!! Green wood is much easier to deal with.
Tried a heavy cut on a 6in round steel bar ----found the forward & reverse clutches need to be adjusted, really down on suds. This may turn out to work very well as my chunker.

Peter
I think your WOOD is mighter than the SWORD!!!
Looks promising keep going have fun

Turns out that yesterdays fail was due to lack of HP!! Adjusted the clutches ------ WOW!!!

I believe I can cut right through yesterdays 4x4 (actually 3x4) dried hardwood block. Now I know the lathe will not stop, but my anvil mounting on the tool holder & turret may not be sufficient.
Did some experimenting today on different woods ---- cuts excellent – scary horsepower!!
This prototype experiment will work fine as a temporary processor to get my truck running.
I have decided to go with industrial machinery as a base for my chunker. Variable speed, forward & reverse, slow controlable clutch engagement & quiet are nice features & add to safety considerably.
With that said, I guess my Mack rear end is available.
Sean, the sword won!!

Hey Peter and Sean,

and may the FIR be with you!

Best regards,

Sam

Now, that’s funny!

Good work Peter! One less excuse to getting that truck fired up…

Peter
What size pipe are you using for the cutter?

Marvin