New WK Gasser Project

Looks great Peter

Wicked machine Peter!

BBB

Looking great Peter. Who knows - maybe your tires WILL squawk when you leave the line!
Don Mannes

Don, you bring up something interesting, although slightly immature: Has anybody done a 100% woodgas burnout/brake-stand yet? BBB :smiley:

Brian, we were talking about this in the hangout Friday. The nature of woodgas means that “instant” acceleration, or power from a standstill is pretty low. You can’t make a ton of torque right off the line, hence it’s very hard to do a good burnout. Also standing on the brakes and throttle will just sit there and hum, there’s no massive torque for breaking the tires loose.

I did chirp the tires last night Peter. I was on a slight down grade and popped it in neutral, revved to 3 grand and dropped it back in gear. This higher RPM has more power, but partly just more inertia.

BTW you cannot stand on the Dakota’s brakes and gas with dino-fuel. It will blast right over the brakes. Burnouts no problem.

Carl, Wayne & Don ----- Thanks

Will be interesting if I will be able to produce any positive results or not with a hopped up engine combination. Starting the search for certain engine components needed.

Chris,

The hangout experiment was extremely interesting — still thinking about it. Seems that low RPM horsepower loss is greater than the standard 30% we usually speak of.

Seems that driving on wood gas is similar as trying to accelerate with a diesel that has a plugged fuel filter. Wayne, is that somewhat accurate?

Yes Peter that characterizes it well.

I do have memories of an old four banger jimmy with a filter plugging that I know my v-10 on wood could have out pulled.

Kida like asking which comes first , the chicken or the egg.

From a dead start accelerating hard the motor is asking the gasifier for fuel. The gasifier is asking the motor for vacuum before it can produce fuel. The motor says it must have fuel before it can supply rpms to create vacuum.

There are some trick you can learn, but as a general rule you won’t be smoking tires on wood.

A wood gas vehicle should have at least one lower gear than standard to be able to get some rpms up without having to use a lot of fuel to do it.

After using my ram with the low range gearing ( 4x4) I will never gasify another truck for FARM use without the low gearing

Would flaring it till your ready to leave the line keep it producing enough gas? Side benefit of a show too.

Marvin

Hi Marvin,

I don’t know if it would produce any more gas, but it sure would be fun!

Found that blowers can be easily & accurately cut on a lathe. 1st cut requires no reinforcing.
2nd cut on same blower requires reinforcing insert ring for chuck to clamp down on.

Peter, would that be an 1/8 HSS cutoff blade at about 100 rpm? I’ve got to give you a hat’s off for that move as my stomach gets sick at the thought of risking my virgin blowers that way.

Doug, The cut off tool is .125 carbide insert. I cut off both ends of all 7 blowers without incident. Yes, the cut was slow rpm ---- will have to go out & look if you need to know exact rpm.

5 blowers mounted ----- will look like an old Mack warming up!

looks awesome Pete!!

I like it!

Hey Peter,

Nice !!! but you can forget about STEALTH !

Ray Charles would notice and take a second look !

BBB

Wayne,

Thought I could add some more stealth with a stainless Manway for a filler lid. I think no hood & an 871 halfway up the windshield should complete the camouflage. At this point if I draw too much attention, will have to go with open exhaust!!

Peter
You could take up magic, you will already have the smoke all you need now is the mirrors.
Looking very nice, can’t wait to see her run on wood BBB !

Starting to mount monerator tank. Fit 4in PVC from the hay filter to the transmission, then had to reduce to 3in.