Newbie from canada

Well I got it put together today

Just have to crush up some charcoal to fill up over nozzles, and should be able to fire it up,how small should I make the charcoal that goes on grate and up reduction tube? And should I make them bigger as I go up?also can I put some wood stove ash around restriction to fill it in a little?
Thanks Dean

13 Likes

Yes. Yes. And Yes.
Do put wood ash sloped a little around the restriction out under the edges of the insulation sleeve. Too seal the restriction plate edges. Some shaken down below the grate too to insulate the grate shaft area. Scrape out the lower only as needed. NEVER vacuum it all out.
Then sifted wood char particles, say pea to almond sized up to the nozzles. Then walnut sized at least 4 inches (100mm) above the nozzles.
Get it lite off heating up before you’d add some wood chunks.
Just some wood chunks.
Let the beds develop in place before you really work it.
Regards
Steve Unruh

12 Likes

Thanks Steve, ya I’ll just flare it for awhile till i find out what wood works ok and temps etc, and if it works ok I might even give it a paint job,was gonna try tomorrow but weather says 100 percent of 20 to 30 mm of rain.

7 Likes

Sweet looks good show a vid when you get the flair

2 Likes

Gave the gasifier a go tonite, I have crappy booster cell phone service so I have a couple minute video and a couple shorts , I think it works.

The last light up was 30 min later

11 Likes

Great job DeanL.
You are on your way now.
Best Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Nice product and good gas, all praise. Years ago I read an article about the latest generation of Fiat engines and the author stated: “precise manufacturing … more power … lower consumption”

7 Likes

Congratulations Dean. Excellent work and always feels good to see someone succeed. I am a big fan of paint, hint hint.

9 Likes

Great job Dean !

Keep up the good work :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Very nice I’m building the same design you got me motivated to finish it up

8 Likes

Thanks guys, ya I was surprised it worked right off the bat like that, but I think starting with a proven design like WK or Ben’s when your just starting is the way to go.
Dean

9 Likes

Ya Tom, it’s kind of ugly now, but after I make sure it works good I’m gonna insulate it more on gasifier and paint it.lol

8 Likes

Well I ran the gasifier again tonite and thought I’d try it on my old lawn tractor with a 19 hp 1cyl ,prob to small but it worked .

Then I flared it before I shut it down

15 Likes

Ps. Tom I splashed some paint on it😀

4 Likes

Well, that’s just excellent Dean. Your gasifier certainly earned it’s paint. I’m sure Ben Peterson would be proud of you.

6 Likes

Hurrah for you!!
Your engine sound nice. Must still have good compression.
You did appear to gasifier internal size this for the smallest 500cc version. My 17.5 hp Kohler Command’s, out of the old riders are also under, but near-500cc. Once you RPM’em up and load them down like in a 8000-9000 watt generator you will be fine.
And what will help is the outer system insulation wrapping with sheet metal skin upgrade.
Keep the bleed out heat inside working for you. Not your job to heat all of Canada, eh.

Yep. I’ll forward your videos to BenP if you do not mind.
Best Regards
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

SteveU. Canada speak would be"not your job to heat all of Canada A, not eh. Don’t be a hoser A.

2 Likes

Yep, I plan on wrapping with insulation, I ran 5 nozzles but I sized the hearth closer to 1litre, to run 720 cc twin like ben suggests in a video.
Sure you can show him.

7 Likes

Congratulations Dean.

9 Likes

Hey I looked at this generator yesterday at local online auction, it’s an old military 2cyl air cool only 5 kw. Would something like this work on wood gas?

3 Likes