Normans chevotafire pickup

Here I will post all the videos and pictures/ updates not discussing the WK details, all in one place for everyone to see

10 Likes
7 Likes

Nice! even on woodgas the small block is more than enough power for that Yota. I had a 93 I bought when it was two years old and smoked the 22RE doing stupid stuff. lol I stuffed a little 283 in that thing mated up to the original 5 speed and that thing went like a raped ape!!

Later I stuffed a 350 vortec in a Honda Passport and now I have a full drive train from a 94 Yota 5 speed, rear axle and solid front from an 83. This will get grafted under the S-10 after the Dooms Day Chevy is done and Ill probably take the 283 out it and LS swap that truck and donate the 283 to the S-10.

8 Likes

Guys will never know what a good feeling and experience it is, driving these little trucks with engines that are not supposed to be in there!!.

7 Likes

It is a blast and my driving record shows it :joy: IV been playing with Toyotas since before I could legally drive, I have had at least one of every year pickup from 1978 to 1996. 20r,21ru,22r,22re,3.0vze,3rz. Only motors I haven’t had is 22rte and 3.4. still love these trucks had a few 4runners as well and a ultra rare 1979 Toyota trekker, the fore runner to the 4runner built teamed up with winibago. Short bed long bed 2wd, 4wd, straight axle and ifs. Ya I have a problem :grin: built many as wheelers, some street trucks, drift trucks, trailer queens, tube chassis, dumped on the ground mini truck ya I did a lot. Z frame, stock floor body drop, air ride, chopped top, power windows, flatbeds ya did all those. Still have 84 short bed sitting. This truck came to be when the V8 parts fell in my lap, I was looking for a 7mge turbo from a first gen supra for it. Still want to do a 2jz supra swap, LS swap 4.8 turbo, 1uz V8 from the Lexus would be fun too. But I’m glad this one got the tried and true small block Chevy, cause it was prime for the woodgas!

6 Likes

Yeah that was my plan I had a 4.8 but end up needing money and sold it. Id rather wood gas an older block anyways. A GM engineer told me to use the Vortec truck engines as this is the engine or at least the heads they use on the experimental NG engines. The valve seats I believe he said are hardened. You need this for gaseous fuels otherwise the seats will crack.

8 Likes

Good to know. I think my 2011WT Sierra will be prime after I get the Mazda ready. It’s a Vortec with low low rear gear.

5 Likes

There were two common head castings. The one everyone desires is not the engine you want.

Yeah its the Vortec HD. They all were pretty much truck engines. Its the L31 motor you want.

4 Likes
9 Likes

WOW! I agree with you - that’s an insane amount of soot. How is that possible? Yes, it’s a V8 pulling - but even then I could never have imagined that amount.
I’m used to see the the hay discolored black and a maybe a super thin layer on lid and walls. Nothing like that.
What are the pallets you’re running made of? Pine? Fir?
Is it possible the feedstock is so full of tar, and cracking it creates a lot of soot? How much tar, that doesn’t have to be burned, do you collect with the hopper juice ?

@Wayne has been running 100% pine for the most part. Maybe he can chime in on wether he sees a noticable difference in the amount of soot - compared to running spieces with leafs.

Marcus, you make interesting videos.

7 Likes

I would say 75% of my fuel is Doug fir pallets maybe 10% pine and the rest has been native cherry wood. In all the miles I have YET to collect any tar whatsoever from the hopper juice and I don’t have a clue why. I know I have thrown in many pieces that were dripping out of pitch pockets, or dried and crispy pitch pockets,but I have not seen any tar at all yet. Hopper juice may be brownish in color but is easily translucent

6 Likes

Hey Marcus .

After giving the truck that good cleaning be very careful or you may end up with yourself a speeding ticket :smile:

Up until 2-3 years back I was running 100% pine and there was a lot of soot but it seemed to be no problem except cleaning more often . I switched to using 100% oak and it seems that I need to clean less often . I think the oak may be more corrosive on the system but I guess it is a trade off.

A couple days back I made a 60 mile trip with the dakota on the big road. Truck ran good and I believe it would have gone 90-95 mph if I had of ask .

11 Likes

I believe mine is the LU3. I’d have to see where they located the cast identifications to check on specifics.

3 Likes

Wow Marcus, that was a lot of soot. I would try just washing the hayfilyer down more often. The way I see you configure your piping out of the hayfilter it drains nicely to your rear condensation tank and out. Easy to clean out.
I have thought of a clean out two inch cap opening on top of the hayfilter would be handy at times, open it and using a spray nozzle to clean and flush the hay with water.
Close the two inch cap and drain on the condensation tank and it is all done.
One more thing to do on my truck.
Bob

5 Likes

You have to pull the valve cover if the number ends with 906 those are the heads everyone wants and modify. Im not sure what the casting number is for the HD heads.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same, but as a nice large feed line for running other motors. But duel purpose is better!

4 Likes

Do you think it could be searched via the VIN?

2 Likes

I have a feed line two inch cap off under my hood if I need it.
Bob

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be hard to check its like two or three bolt and the cover pops off. That way you know for sure. Yeah dont know if the vin will tell what heads this engine has.

1 Like

I did google search for LU3 and it came as the 4.3 ltr. Thats a whole different animal. Im talking about the V8 Vortec motor. I would not waste my time with a 4.3 I would yank that thing out in a heart beat and send to a recycler so it can be melted down and made into something more useful.

2 Likes