Nozzles for Charcoal gasifier's

Great thinking Andy :slight_smile: that does happen with my sistem when the gasifier is cleaned from slag. When the slag nest builds up the charcoal can no longer fall down the nozzle. Not such a problem thugh…

1 Like

Hi Bruce,

Still the same welded lip. Keeps me surprised as well.
With the tuk tuk i only ad small amounts and without a coil for preheating.
The ECU has an knock sensor so it adjust the ignition back if the ping comes :grin:

2 Likes

Here the nozzle setup from the diesel pickup…

at the left side the vertical nozzle and right side the lightning nozzle

Size nozzle 3/4" for the vertical

3 Likes

Nozzle Report

Hoss emptied the retort after run #5 to examine the alumina nozzle that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. At this point, we had about 1.5 hours of run-time on this nozzle.

We were disappointed to see that approximately 1 inch of the nozzle was missing.

Unfortunately, I was not there when he opened and emptied the retort.

However, he said that he found something very curious.

Rather than finding the broken end of the the alumina pipe as one might expect, he only found a small pile of fine white powder where it should have been.

This makes me think that the alumina itself was eroded and broken down by some high temp corrosion process.

Here is what the nozzle looks like now:

The good news is that we have about 5 inches of the alumina nozzle remaining (most of it is stuffed back inside the steel nipple and coupling. So, in theory, we can merely draw it out a little bit as it erodes.

However, at this rate of consumption, I would say that alumina pipe is not a viable option since it is fairly expensive (I think I gave around $30 to $40 for the pipe).

1 Like

Hi Kyle ,
I bought my first set of 5 tubes from china at around that price plus the same again for postage and although they all broke I didn’t see any of them disintegrate to powder .
I changed over my 25mm nozzle last week because I noticed the glow of the charcoal was getting closer to the fittings on the tank and replaced it with a number 10 tig nozzle , I have to admit that so far its worked very good (20 hours so far ) start up of the 9hp B&S engine have been easier as well .
Dave

3 Likes

I finaly found the time to document my nozzle setup so here goes my small contribution to a better world of clean fuel:

the lid of the gasifier taken off

the charcoal emptyed. you can see the amount of slag of about 800km

the “slag nest” up close

the nozzles clean of slag

a peace of slag

the nozzles up close. you can see there is absolutly no erosion.

the pipe i made the nozzles out of

lt all runs great. Just clean it once a month and add fuel every day.

Here is allsow an artisticly butyfull peace of charcoal, just for a treet :grinning:

9 Likes

Your result seem very impressive .You need to reach more than 1300 C to melt the ash and yet the nozzel is intact
What is your recipe?

I did not know you’ve changed the brass nozzle for a thick pipe? iron?
for what reason you have drilled several small holes instead of a large nozzel?
Thierry

1 Like

More like 2300 C as l do not use any coolant :grin:

Recepie:

• the nozzle has a lot of mass (steel)
  • the air cools it from inside out
    : the slag nest protects it from direct contact with superhot coals

l am limited by hight. Thats why l have 4 nozzles not 1

4 Likes

Wow, yes, very impressive! Are the nozzle holes 10mm? Please remind me of your engine size in CCs. It looks like combining a massive tuyere with vertical air blast is a winning combination.

3 Likes

Are the 4 holes drilled completely through the pipe, so air can exit from the top and bottom of each of the 4 holes?

2 Likes

How do the several holes affect lighting?

2 Likes

How have you measured 2300C?

Have you yet croosdraff configuration? (Extraction of gas on the side with heat exchanger?)

1 Like

Kristijan
I could not tell from the picture was the pipe cut from a larger casting or just a longer pipe?
Thanks for posting these. You and others make the dark side very tempting. But I have not gone there… YET:smiling_imp:

1 Like

This is fantastic! Such a simple solution.
Can you also let us know how long the pipe is and how far apart are the holes? If I remember correctly, you are using cast iron? Have you tried this with the holes closer together? Have you tried it with just regular steel?
I’m guessing the velocity of the air is keeping the temp away from the pipe?
Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Kristijan , your nozzle results are very impressive indeed .

I didn’t realise when you first mentioned your nozzle that you had a row of 4 holes along the length , another question along with the other questions asked would be , how do you lite your system up or do you have a separate lighting port ?

Congrats on a great designed nozzle /system

Dave

4 Likes

Kristijan - Those are fantastic results.

So far as I know, you show less nozzle erosion than anyone.

I wonder if it is the heavy pipe, the vertical jets, or the fact that you are using multiple jets?

Maybe a combination of these factors.

1 Like

Another unique thing about your setup is the “slag nest.”

I have not observed anything like that forming in my gasifier.

But it does give me an idea.

I wonder what would happen if I just loosely wrapped the end of my nozzle with kaowool or some other sort of porous ceramic fiber. Maybe that would help start a “slag nest” and protect the nozzle?

I think that stuff is cheap enough that I could treat a small amount of it as a “consumable” each run.

1 Like

Kyle

I think the bottom iron approximately 1500 C .It must “slag nest.”
is an excellent insulator for proterger nozzle

1 Like

Thank you all for all the kind words.
The holes only point upworrds.
I think this pipe is a part of an old hydraulic cilinder but im not sure. Just a peace of scrap metal i found :wink:
I use multiple nozzles becouse that way my reaction area per one nozzle is only about 20cm high eaven thugh the engine is 1000cc. I gain a lot of space!
Holes are about 10mm about 10cm apart. But it realy isnt so inportant how many holes and how big they are, as long as they point up. One culd just cut out a wider cut along the lengh and do just the same job or eaven better!
Lightning isnt a problem. I start the engine on gasoline, open the gas valve on full and touch the air intake with a small propane burner for a second and its done. In case not all nozzles light l have a cut in the pipe that goes from nozzle to nozzle so that charcoal starts burning fast and eaven on all holes. Once lit i can stop the engine and the char will last about 8 hours.

I think vertical nozzles are the future of charcoa gasification. I realy hope more people start researching and making it better and most of all i hope they dont get selfish by keeping the inovations for them self.

12 Likes

Hi Kristijan , thanks for answering our questions so quickly .
In your reply back to us you say that vertical nozzles are the future , but isn’t your system horizontal though ?
You see if any system at all can cope with the run times or the mileage that your system does then I would count that as a success , but sure never stop experimenting and trying new things and sharing .

Dave

1 Like