Off Grid law Problem?

ok so with in the last year i baut some desert property in CA and i love it there but its not with out its rules they say they dont want us to have camp fires dew to high fire danger first off im like what the hell’s gona burn there’s nothing here?? any way i do have a wood burring stove in my camper its a tinny one never the less i dont let it burn past sun rise b/c you can see the smoke for miles now what the hell do i say if the man shows up while im running the gasifier there is no exposed fire no smoke IDK what do you think here in CA everyone is freaking out anout fire danger and rightly so but im worried about that overzealous “authority figure” i dont want to get crucified

5 Likes

I don’t know about California, but stealthy is always a good plan. Seems to me that a gasifier is no more a fire hazard than an outdoor pizza oven. Maybe less.

3 Likes

stealth is alway the best bet but we all know gasifiers are not stealthy as a matter of fact mine attracts a lot of attention here in CA and most people havent clue what gasification is and they can be difficult to explane to the lame man

2 Likes

BTW here in CA cant have a out door wood burring pizza oven with out permit in most countys LAME!!! orange count almost baned wood burring fireplaces

2 Likes

I am SO sorry for your cituation. There is NO way you can win this one, so find a new hobby. We live in terrible times where if anyone makes an accuation against you, you are probably going to be incarcerated for at least a short time until you get on the docket for a heraring. And comes a hearing YOU have to prove your inocents with only hear-say evidence against you. I know from experience of what I speak. If you are living in a camper, hook up and get the hell out of Calif, but I don’t know where you can go. The United States legal system is against you and all of us. TomC

3 Likes

There’s your problem. Time for a stealth build. Look at Kristijan’s bumper mounted one for ideas.

5 Likes

that exactly how it is here if you make your nebor mad the next thing you know there will be “nuisance abatement teams” at your door saying all you have is illegal i all ready got all my auto parts run of this property (my house) thats why i baut the desert land and put it out there just waiting for a complaint =/ i love junk what can i say =)

4 Likes

you are familar with my beetle right the only way to get away with it is to go all rat rod i have 2 trophys for my bug and the CHP dosent care it running it in a stationary configuration that is the problem (on a car =ok off the car = illegal)…CA =(

2 Likes

You might study up on ‘rocket stoves’. If you do it right there won’t be any visible smoke. I don’t get any money this way.

1 Like

simply having it will get you in trouble im waiting for then to ask were my toilet is (the desert) you can be fined for not having a toilet

1 Like

You would think they aint going out too the desert too harras people about a little rocket stove, as they put out very little smoke a few seconds too warm the up the stove a little before it has a smoke free chimney.Glad i live in the eastern Hemispheer, with all the fires out west.Maybe they need too rethink cutting trees too keep fires from spreading nonstop.

2 Likes

i just stopped them from cutting down a 200 year olf fir tree on my property it perfictaly healthy it took some doing to get them to take it off the cut list unfortunately they got to a 175 year old oak on my dads land but at least i got the logs and will be able to mill them so they arent wasted on 175 year old fire wood =/

1 Like

Hi Xole, up hear in Washington State we are highly regulated, stealthy is the way to go, just do it and don’t advertise it like a sign on the vehicle. I try not to show any smoke when lighting up my gasifier during the no burn season from June 1st to when the fall rains come and they let the orchards do their wood pruning burning. Yup it is hard the see smoke at night. I have done some night driving on wood. Great to hear from you.
Bob

6 Likes

i do most of my work in the desert at night mostly b/c in the summer time it is regularly over 100 deg during the day im gona put a new used engine in my truck and them i will be able to tow the beetle out to the desert for supercharger testing i cant do work on things here in the forest any more dew to new laws so i do it all in the desert still getting the complex built but then it will be awesome…lost my password for a wile and for some reason it DOW wont load on my old browser

2 Likes

That crazy, 175 year old trees are not a fire problem, it is NOT cleaning up the under brush, that’s the problem, okay, okay Bob stop the ranting. But I just hate the stupidity of some regulation of some people try. I am glad the wood did not go to waste.
Bob

4 Likes

sux there cutting all the old trees and it took a second but now the people are retaliating after i drove my model T truck down in my yard and parked it next to my 200 year old fir tree b/c they cant cut a tree with a car under it they will ask you to move it and that gave me just enof time to run the sawers off when they showed up to cut it but now its safe it was removed from the cut list after i got the fire dept. to expres that they would like the tree to stay b/c it is so healthy i just cant imagine in my head killing a 200 year old “LIVING” being i could not let it happen

2 Likes

Those fires in California sound pretty scary, I imagine it has people pretty nervous. I heard a piece on the radio about one of the fires being started by someone trying to pound a metal stake into the ground - it made one spark and the whole field of dry grass he was in burst into flames. He maybe didnt sound like the sharpest tool in the shed, but conditions like that are hard for me to even fathom after living in water-logged Oregon.

It seems that the problem with bureaucracy is that they write the regulations for the weakest link, which does make a certain amount of sense, but ends up constraining the freedoms of everyone who isnt a complete fool. Its hard to imagine a perfect solution, especially when you start getting into areas of public safety. I think everyone should be allowed to gamble with their own safety if they want to, but if it puts others in jeopardy, the same behavior seems abhorrent.

I guess my advice is to not do anything that would make you nervous if your dumbest neighbor did it too :grinning: Also, invest in some fire extinguishers. One in every building, one on everything that moves.

7 Likes

Spent the last 4 yrs putting up with nosey people. My Daughter finally grid. high school.Now I am free!!
Bought 7 acres in Southern Mo. On land contract. The nearest power pole is 1.5 - 2 miles away. Need a mailing addfess. Called the County Commissioner, and he did not like the fact that we are off grid. He tried to give me a hard time, tried to play dumb.
I reminded him that he was a Paid Public Servant and that my life style was none of his business. Either do your job or see me and my lawyer in court. I told him I would suit him for malifecience of office and denial of my 1st. Amendment right to the pursuit of my happiness. Gave him a day or two to think about it.
Called back, got total cooperation! And my address!!!
Only problem my mailbox is 1 mile from my land. The mail delivery person does not go down my one lane road!
Ah well, sometimes you have to give a little.
So quiet out here, the only things you here are Coyotes and wild cats.
We did have a mountain lion in our camp on the 2nd or 3rd night here! Scared it off and haven’t seen any new tracks.
Lots of Bobcats though!
We find their tracks on the trail in most every day along with fresh scat.
My big Mastiff will let us know if anything big is too close. Unless he is sleeping on my bed under the blankets!
I guess around here the biggest worry is some Yahoo not watching their cook fire.
We got new neighbors last week.
They were not very fire safe. Had them come and look at my fire pit. It’s an open rocket stove on steroids. 2ft tall made of limestone rocks all banked with mud and gravel.
I still don’t take any chances. I wait until there is just a small bed coals banked with ashes
before I walk away. Smokey the Bear says ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES!!

4 Likes

Not sure where you are but there are a lot of ex-military preppers in the Ozarks… They have connections. Might be good to try and meet some. Be aware though that Gray is everybody’s favorite color right now.

1 Like

I here that! No one wants to be red or Biden
Right now we are staying close to home.
No gas money to run around on.
Have talk to Chris and find out how to post some pictures. Do I just put them on you tube and send him the page code? Or what?
Jesse

1 Like