Pasquali 988 restoration

No. He was a commercial vegetable oil farmer.
You know the source for the store bottled cooking oils like corn, safflower, and others.
The source for the oils in a lot of the vegan, and vegatarian commercially made foods.

He would have refused any restaurant previously used oils. Too much salts contamination. Too heat changed and oil spectrums removed in the food cooking usages.
He was Rural. If you can’t make it/grow it. Fair then to buy it out. Just buy out as little as possible. And make what you do buy out the highest quality for the least wastes. Spec grade gasoline, diesel fuels.
Silliness would be vehicle locking in that must have the expensive RON 92 gasoline.
Or must have the more expensive 5 PPM ultra low sulphur diesel. (Ha! Most of which does have a percentage vegetable bio-diesel in it for injectors lubrication.)
S.U.

4 Likes

Dan air cooled engines can actually have some advantages.
Much quicker heat in the air cooling streams than any water cooled engine.
Air cooled generally needing much more lubrication engine oil cooling too. Oil to air coolers. Ha! Make it engine oil to vegetable fuel oil warmer! Just immerse the the standard engine oil cooler.
Another source of regulatable heat.
And of course exhausts heats.

A commercial diesel engine man must be conservative in his involvement’s.
A DYI man has to be a bit bold. Willing to pay the learning fall down bump and bruises.
S.U.

4 Likes

A lot of times when you are running a farm, you go for the lower cost solution which is the plastics. You can do oils, but it is cheaper to buy a ton of plastic for like 8 bucks and distill it down, then to grow the equivalent amount of seed crops, which you can sell the oil for more money then even the cost of diesel.

I don’t mind closed loop thinking so you can save the money to buy the equipment you need for the future closed loop system.

3 Likes

I would add that at least it’s a good use for the plastics, and they will be remediated. I recently observed the plastics waste from our local recycling facility being used as berm material in a landfill cell. No money in them or recycling use. That’s definitely kicking the can down the road.

A lot of plastic starts as oil anyway. If it doesn’t take more energy to covert it from plastic back to oil it seems like a good plan to me. Might make sense for some people to use good farm land for personal fuel growth instead of food but with all that it takes to put in the plant, harvest it, get the equipment to press it into oil and then modify it as fuel it is not logistically attractive. There is millions of gallons of waste oil, trans fluid and other lubricants that have to be swapped out of millions of vehicles every day. Easier to convert that into black diesel.

I believe I’d get a machinist to turn me a decent aluminum centrifuge plate rather than go the route of the guy in the last video though.

2 Likes

Yeah. There goes an ongoing argument I’ve had face to face pursuing WOOD gasification since 2007.
I used the word plastics.
Put a penny into the conversation and get back oodles and oodles of could, should quarters.

O.K. I give up on the Morals and Ethics of it argument approaches.

All plastics ,to have the best benefit for their original put to uses have rare metallic, long-long made molecules with usually chlorine, and other toxics in them. In the coloring dyes. In the stabilizers. In the plasticizers. And many now proven cancers makers.

Now on your Rural farm property you free, cheap Urban energy seekers are going to bring this home to your family’s and your farm animals in tons quantities.
Oh, sure. The Geeks among you will prove you can chelate and remove, and stabilized fix these out. Then just like the menthol bio-fuel makers . . . have a really concentrated problem to store or pawn of onto someone else. Did I hear kicking the problem can down the road said here? Yep. pony right up and get into the line of can kickers then.
You the modern chemical genius smarty can actually long chains split and make non-toxic. Sure. Sure. At what costs? At what expenses’ in the rare earths catalysts? Catalyst’s once contaminated then will need hot chemical gasses restoring. Or contaminated dumped and buy out new again. Baaa. Sheeple-buy-out-dependency-think.

Read this book:
HELLFIRE BOYS: The birth of the Chemical Warfare Service and the Race for the Worlds Deadliest Weapons
Theo Emery 2017
Painfully details out when/where the US stocks of modern chemist genius war gasses were developed. Building on the work previously done by the British, French and Germans.
AND we did produced and stored in the tons weights. And sadly we did in tons delivered quantiles use these in 1918.
The in US sites where developed and produced are still contaminated, once pristine rural properties. Still toxic contaminated 100 years later. Death grounds for wildlife and human habitation. We disposed of liquid war-gas stocks after that war into sites dug pits; open air dumped into swamps; and out in the Atlantic Ocean dumping.
In the actual full chemical name of our U.S. then greatest uniquely American war-gas to have been front lines deployed in 1919: “lewisite”, is ester and poly.

So play your plastics games.
Your will reap the harsh harvest right into your own yards.

My unavoidable consumer plastics do get commercial recyclers directed. And separated out for; from-the-earth; back-to-the-earth; monitored land filled.

The only safe moral ethical site made solar fuel is wood, brushy woody plants, or energy crops.
With the ethics and moral limits established by you own sweat-harvesting and processing.
S.U.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that used oil goes into refineries anyways, probably helps upgrading low quality stocks like tar / bitumen. It will be the highest efficiency recycling.

Over in Vermont some some of the extension service folks seem to have been working with farmers on biodiesel. Just thought it might be interesting to you all.

I looked into biodiesel back 15 years ago. The process is too toxic for my liking. My mother was a chemistry teacher and she pointed out the gas they mention is a toxic byproduct is actually one of the gasses used in WWI chemical warfare. Not something I want to deal with not to mention the waste product you get as well. I would do the heated oil to correct the viscosity that way first.

2 Likes

Vegetable oil heating is part of the Elsbett system.
On their own designed engine the actual combustion chamber was enclosed into the piston top to be able to be hot, hot and long chains break down. This gave the best power, fuel use efficiency with the least sooting and carboning up.
Their conversion systems onto existing selected Mercedes, Peugeot and other vehicle diesels does work for neat raw filtered vegetable fuel oil also. Requires a pump diesel sub-tank for cold starting up to hot combustion stabilizing. Selected engine exhaust; engine coolant; or engine electrical doing the veg oil heating. Some carboning up if the warming up is too shortened. But acceptable if virtually like a vehicle woodgasifier compromised operated.
S.U.

1 Like

Ha! I guess I am dated.
Elsbett now AGT of Germany

https://agt-germany.com

S.U.

2 Likes

Found a nice Elsbett museum website, but all in German, my Google Translate not working on the full page HTML text.
http://www.elsbett-museum.de/index.html
You can copy and paste line by line into G-Translate, that works.
Well worth it, too. lots of gems. :blush:

3 Likes

Well, since this is going a little off topic. Elsbett is a very nice system. If the engine could be made large scale , it probably would. I think a little complicated on the basic parts/ pistons. Just like biodiesel. Unnecessarily complicated , why not just veggie oil? Maybe change some oil ring here there, fuel preheat and you are ready to go.
My oldtimer G klasse was standard with that preheater. Runs without a problem and whatever wich oil. My ML cdi got it 50/50. No problem either. A little smoke here and there and a little less power. For the rest, just pour it in and off you go.

4 Likes

Btw. Elsbett systems were sold quite a few here to make your car run on veggie. Very sophiticated and dito price.

3 Likes

Yes. Sophistication can quickly lead to expensive over-sophistication.
Which produces great performance numbers, but the design, development, and implementation of all of that over-sophistication leads to Not deployed. And if deployed; not-used. And if forced used: Then too many stoppage failures. Waiting for a sophisticated specialized Tech to sort it out. Waiting for one source 1st world part.
I’ve been that Tech. I’ve been that one source supplier. Pah. What an unfulfilling, loser, game of life to play.

Just like too many of the what could, should be: wood to power projects. Driven to over-sophisitication.
With much of the expense in fully financially supporting some-one, some-ones to full time make the over-sophistications. Priests-of-Tech. Priest -of-the-Obscure.

Why I have only Damn-the-efficiency-numbers supported direct DOing DIY endeavors.
And that is the Drive On Wood. Do it yourself. For your self. You choose just how sophisticated you wish to support. Don’t come crying to the simplifiers here when your woo-woo does not attract attention attraction here.

Steve unruh

5 Likes

I’m with you. I personally bemoan the disappearance of the analog universe. I try and build from scrap and normally only purchase consumables. I do like MPFI but keep a carb and manifold and gear driven distributor stored for small block chevy engines because if there were anything like an EMP I want to be able to salvage the easiest to procure parts. I do not use MIG because I can’t make argon gas. I stockpile HF cut-off wheels, welding rod, spools of flux core wire. I don’t have a clue how to hook up anything to a arduino board. I suck at electronics. I want to use things I can scrounge from a truck. Power window motors, windshield wiper motors, starter motors. All simple and built to last.

5 Likes

I hear you brother! My personal favorite was McCormic & Derring /IH stuff. Talked to a young guy who works in a Case IH dealership, parts & supplies. He told me about retro tbi and electronic ignition for M and H tractors. Slightly increased power and doubled time between overhauls. He recommended a higher end air filter too. He’s also a farm kid and after thinking about everything he said I think maybe the new generation IS every bit as good as mine was.
At one point I made the decision not to be afraid of electonics. I started asking questions, like how does a MAP sensor work? Why does the computer need to know the manifold pressure anyway? I dissected a MAP sensor with an Exact-O knife, looked online, figured out what a strain gauge is. O2 sensor, same sort of thing. The list goes on. Them little electrons don’t scare me no more.
Rindert

3 Likes

Here is a loadable older English language Elsbett link MikeR.

We each choose when, where, how long to ride a digital Tech rocket.
My cut line is at non-interlinked systems. NOT smart phone enabled. Wi-Fi capable. Never initialized.
Individual use self standing systems. Have three. Use. Set aside when they fail to deliver. And never cater to that particular failure brand again if it failed to give long term service. Samsung is now on the never, ever again list no matter how features laden and cheap new. Three now different family premature, repaired multiple times appliance failures with Samsung’s. Replaced with LG, Frigidaire, Maytag(Whirlpool).

Back in the late 1970’s I repaired a cracked service control board on a just twist key to start Peugeot 504 diesel car system.
Told the owner he could have just reverted back to a push-pull cable for fuel enable/shut-off; and a push button pre-heater switch. Count under your breath 1-10; 1-15; 1-30 depending on the outside ambient temperature.
Not a problem he said as a diesel heavy equipment operator.
It was his car driving wife. ( I said get a more down-to-earth wife) Ha! What i did 20 years later.
And once choosing that down-to-earth Life partner. Listen to her!
S.U.

3 Likes

Hi dan, Any chance you could point me in the right direction to get seals for the steering cylinders?

1 Like

Sorry I never had to take mine apart. Tom Branch is not selling parts at the moment from Italian tractor parts he was the last dealer in North America. I was looking for a new stator myself with no luck recently and got a reply from Tom saying maybe he would be selling parts again in a few months when things where less busy on his farm.
I would guess that the hydraulic control is a standard valve I would suggest a local shop which rebuilds hydraulic cylinders would be a good place to start.

3 Likes