Picture gallery...cars, trucks , gasifiers, older and newer history

Autocar au gazogène (superforum.fr)

9 Likes

gazogene (easyforumpro.com)
a bigger collection from france ( 31 pages)

8 Likes

Some old brochures.

Ford-Bolinders, observe the pricing about $195 for the woodgas-cart.

20240319_231744

SF, Svenska Fläktfabriken (Swedish Fan Factory)

20240319_231936

Hesselman for taxi cars.

20240319_232031

Imbert, car gasifier.

15 Likes

When these were installed on new vehicles, were they wood gas only?

10 Likes

Hi Al, about this war-time builds, in the beginning there was possibilities to use gasoline, Svedlunds used a mixer/carb that could be shifted from the dash, Imbert used a carb controlled by a push-pull cable from the dash, just to drive in/out from garages and like (hand controlled accelerator)
Road companies had a small carb that opened when they put “the pedal to the metal” for help when plowing snow for example.
Tractors used to have just a spring loaded pump, that sprayed gasoline directly in to the manifold (you pulled out the pump, the spring took over shooting in gasoline, at the same time you ran to the front of the tractor, to work the hand crank starter, begging for it to start)
Later into the war liquid fuels become unavailable, and no one cared about mounting carbs or other possibilities for liquid fuels.

Im going to post some pic’s of mixers here.

14 Likes

When searching for some woodgas stuff, i took the opportunity to snap a pic of this start-up blower i got in my collection.

Bahco woodgas blower, NOS/new in box.

Box, “gengasfläkt” means woodgas-blower,

15 Likes

This may not fit in this topic, but i didn’t know where to post it.
Some old “sins”.
Here is often talk about how we Swedes are crazy about classic American cars, this show some of it: Power Big Meet, in Västerås, Sweden, Europes biggest meet for American cars, and the “cruising” /parade was the biggest in the world!
A 4 mile, double lane parade, with almost as much cars parked along the way.
There ofcourse is enormous partying, and gas stations have to get extra deliveries, and to not talk about the beer! Police uses “portable” drunk-tanks, towed in place.

Parents-in-law found some old pic’s, proving there has been atleast one wood-powered truck among the up to 25000 classic cars, pick-up’s, and trucks.
These pic’s are around 10-12years old :astonished: :blush: :woozy_face: :rofl:

From the meeting area, an airfield.
You may recognize someone redneck? A little fatter then, due to beer over-consumption.

On the way.

The chevy equipped with “party table” on the bed, mostly dino-driving (not me driving, un-experienced driver).

All kind of vehicles, as long they are US-made.

21 Likes

Thanks very much for the pictures Goran .

From the pics it looks like you are abiding by the Alabama ( USA ) dress code. (assuming you are wearing no underwear ) :grinning:

16 Likes

Grinning from ear to ear. A lot of Detroit iron there Goran. I like your truck the best. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

i was gonna say it looks like a barn party in Wayne’s back yard but he beat me to it :rofl:

10 Likes

Hey Marcus .

I noticed the big KW and Goran truck has an Alabama tag on them :grinning:

10 Likes

And what a sweet heart too, thats daily driver material to me!

10 Likes
7 Likes

[Roma La partenza per Budapest di una vettura a gassogeno pilotata dal professor Ferraguti.

(rome to budapest ( through slovenia)
Roma La partenza per Budapest di una vettura a gassogeno pilotata dal professor Ferraguti. - YouTube

7 Likes

Noticias gasogeno (youtube.com)

6 Likes

Gasified train. I wonder what kind of engine they had in that?

6 Likes

Giorgio:
At about 00:28 in that YouTube video, during the “train” segment, there is something odd. I believe it is a bag filter assembly, with a “hay” filter under (before) it. Just before the picture below, there is a service technician possibly vacuuming this device from a side access hatch. I believe this view is inside that hatch. Maybe? :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

Hi Mike, i believe that hayfilter contains wood-wool/excelsior, this was very common to use in woodgas filters at that time. Hay or straw was very valuable during war-time.
The function should be the same, wood wool is more prone to expand when it gets wet, so the filters was only packed to 3/4.

12 Likes

I’ve seen in some gasifier systems that described they used wood-wool as the filter before the cooler, but after the cyclone, and a finer filter that used Sisal fibers after the cooler. This was obviously when most cars had piping running up to the front first so the gas was cooled down a fair bit. Progressive filtration is one of the things I’ve been chasing lately, a balance of flow and removing that soot.

I’m guessing the wood wool was there to make sure the coolers didn’t get dirty too quickly.

Apparently Excelsior is still relatively available as bedding and packing material, made of Aspen.

10 Likes

This video may already be on this thread and maybe not .

14 Likes