Plasma gasification of Charcoal

The energy present inside wood isn’t used completely… Is possible applied this reactor on an endothermic engine but I don’t want touch car market … very dangerous … actually I’m focalized only on heating home device and in the near future an steam electric generator 3Kw 220V… all inside the same stove. Do you want an working video… ok… http://youtu.be/t3v9J8j3fak this is plasma reactor inside an water 15Kw stove… with normal combustion this stove consumed 3.5Kg/hour to maximum power, instead with new reactor the pelled consumed was 1.2Kg/hour at the same power without production of ash and very low percentage of CO in output. Comments are in italian but you can translate simply.

AUTO ZUIGGAS-GENERATOREN
by H. Zoetelief Norman 1941

FAHRZEUGSGENERATOREN
by F. Jantsch 1943 (release autorized by Reichmaster Albert Speer - the Nazi)

In both of these it is well illustrated out the thermal-chemical balances of HC fuels CO2 <=> CO with CH4 (methane).
This was all worked out and documented long ago. So nothing new happening except rediscovery in every lost knowledge generation reinventing the same wheels.
When these rediscovers are tradesmen, blacksmiths, welders, woodsmen then real common man useable systems get built-up and used.
When the re-discoverers are head geeks their systems need governments money pig slop to make it into the real world. Always waiting for, “Funding approval” Then: Exotic, overcomplicated, idealist systems. “Too complicated for you mere mortal common man to understand all of the thermal-chemical balances, maths and such” “Just leave it to US to explain it to you” (and thorough your Caesar taxed public moneys we intelligista will sort it all out for you in our universities, think-tanks, and peer reviewed journals)
So . . . . now instead of an individual assuming the responsibility of just reading a religious book directly: it gets only released out in “in Latin” available only to self-proclaiming co-educating Latin chanting priests.

The DOW was set up by fellows who are welders, blacksmiths, wood heaters folks for the SAME kind of folks to break this cycle of smarts/addiction co-dependencies that have tanked ALL bio-mass fuels usages and initiatives for the last 40 years.
Head geeks get bought off in the name-fame, patent, I’m published, back-patting games too easily.

The core actual charcoal gasifier users/promoters here on the DOW in Gary Gillmore, David Baillie and others are all about common man make ready useable shaft and heat energies.
They SHOW personal local made fuel WOOD fuel piles.
They are right now using wood for winter space heating using their personal wood fuel energies. Working on a homestead levels to close the make charcoal heat waste loops.

You Internet Gasifiers are too much about making just about making more Dependencies systems.
Not about personal freedom energy making systems at all.
You are tech-dependant drug dealers.

The way to break this vicious cycle is to cut off a significant portion of your own personal energy use dependency.
Personally ONLY Use then for that repacement energy, the actual enrgy you can local/on-site source, convert, store.
THIS is what will take it out of the head-geek clouds and make your efforts then real world.
PatrickJ you done this now. Good job.
These other fellows - no wood piles. No wood useages on a needs-must, daily usage.

The WOOD in the DOW name defines this sites fuel use base intent, and purpose. The action DRIVE word in the name this sites insisted ethics.

Steve Unruh

1 Like

Thanks for the link and the video,
Yes that looks great, question remains for me, could we get that fuel into an engine in a easy way ?
Good thing could be; using this generated heat to gasify the charcoal ? then connect the outlet from the gasproduction to the engine …
The charcoal would be gasified without oxygen thus producing nearly pure Co ( external heated retort gasyfying )

Question would be, can we build it into a mobile device and drive with it ?
I will PM you to some contact i have in Italy, who will be very interested in your plans / idea.

Now, back to earth and our little starter project…
Any idea how big the diameter of the reactor can be ( in our case small ) for the same powers i use now ( the small engines and the Trike )

Thank you for supporting us in this.
Yes as stated by us in earlier postings, it is old knowledge but converting Co2 into Co can be done, thank you for this confirmation.
The whole setup is, as you described, to keep things simple and understandable, so we did build this converter accordingly.
As Marco already stated in another topic, this system would workable be it improveable with some new idea thinking from others.
I leave that to the other individuals.
I want to keep things so simple that a normal farmer here can build it and use it.
Nothing more then a 1 page explanation should do the trick.

I agree on your statement, “to been cut off a significant portion of your own personal energy” it sure triggers someone to build his own independent system.
These cut-off happen here so often, sometimes for days or weeks without pumping water…
Many times the farmer just have the choice; buy one portion of rice or buy a little fuel for his tractor ?
I want to give him knowledge, useable know how, to make his own fuel, for irrigation and for his needs…
That is what this project here in Thailand is about.
Giving that knowledge and no ROI

I really want to go to the gasification conference in Prague next year… It’s heavily weighted towards plasma gasification.

www.wplgroup.com/aci/conferences/eu-ecg4.asp

Hopefully, the finances will become available :slight_smile:

Troy

Charcoal is derived from wood… wood is the new renewable fuel of future. The new reactor is similar to an atomic core but without radiation emissions. The plasma flames heat the core to high temperature. When molecules come in contact with core is started the chemical reaction. For semplify the system I suggest to start from wood pellet and after naturally that is converted into charcoal during the internal process. The new scenario for save the planet from CO2 is build an EXAUST GAS CLOSED LOOP. Lyne hydrogen furnace is an good example… http://contest.techbriefs.com/2012/entries/sustainable-technologies/2541 use H2 in a CLOSED LOOP for heat creation the same principle can be applied to CO2 or H2O. The same charcoal reactor can be used as catalyst for transform symply CO2 and H2O into CH3,CH4, and N2 and O atoms from water into N2O

That looks tempting, but a little to far from the earth at this moment…
I want to start with igniting the plasma cutting torch near the charcoal we already use…
I know it would not be the most optimal, but we have to start somewhere…

I am going to use mom’s cooking reactor for starters…
inserting the nozzle from the side…
How much the molten slag is going to be ?
Will start testing, step by step to something usefull…
But will have to wait untill the Plasma cutting torch arrives

Plasma cutter is destructive. Normally plasma gasification heat an bed of sand and leads him to liquefaction. You need to divide the power of plasma in some other flames or you destroy the charcoal.

That is exactly the plan… gasify the charcoal, sublimate the carbon… and then test what we get…
Look at the temperature curve above… tell me what you see there…
I start with our first step, then, when i survive the first, i’ll proceed to the next levels…
This russian claims as above, i will test that…

Hello Koen, you need “soft” plasma torch and not an plasma cutter torch. But please test and after sent the results…

We can play with this torch. Adjust it, modify it… untill it works…
Endless fun…

Just for developers … for open your minds. http://youtu.be/uCq1-ECVX3E

yep, thats the flame we want…

It’s an HHO flame… when burn HHO releases steam… the soft plasma flame… my suggestion is… start from here…

This is really a convincing way to approach someone… nice video and it looks very useful to do the job…

background data on this ?
how to setup ?
energy input ?
temperature in the flame ?
how big unit was used or is needed ?

it is a good sugestion…
gives me a wow feeling, thanks for showing

The cell of video produces 2.5LPM of HHO gas consuming 500W of electrical power if you increase an little the voltage inside to HHO gas you obtain also steam because your cell increase the internal temperature at about 65°C. You can filter or not, depend from your application, the HHO gas for remove the catalyst mixed with distilled water, NAOH or KOH, needed for obtain conductive water normally is used an bubbler with distilled water. You need to put in final stage an flashack arrestor as safety device. The HHO flame interacts in special mode with matter and the temperature depend from composition of the matter. No enough studies on HHO but I have tested for 5 years the power of HHO.

2,5 LPM HHO is the cell capacity, the 500watts is calculated per hour i hope ?

This gives me some more idea’s , practical and realistic…

I will draw some sketches and submit them here to you for your review

2.5 liter per minute is the HHO gas produced with 500W/h… with 1000W you obtain 5 liter per minute and with 2000W you obtain 10 liter per minute.

This is the effect of HHO on wood… . http://youtu.be/KbfSTwc-qEI

I am working on the energy balance, input extra power for the HHO and the gain in output…
I am not reaching “the sweet spot” yet, input bigger then gain, probably due to the thermal inefficiency of the IC engine.
At this point i would benefit more with an electric engine bypassing to the wheels for increased power.
Otherwise input 1000watt extra, gain only 400watt at the crankshaft.
I must be doing something wrong in my idea thinking…
I will e-mail you a exell spreadsheet to play with numbers, you might find the best configuration for me to start with
( HHO and charcoal in any useful combination to gain in power at the IC engine output )

I would like to create a base - starting line and work our way up from there by doing experiments…