Power to Weight Ratios

You also have to take torque into account. A small engine like Don’s Tracker will make all it’s power at a high RPM, and has very little torque down low. A big V8 with the same power rating will make most of its power down low, and have gobs of torque. This is the “grunt” that you can feel from your tractor.

Woodgas doesn’t like to rev all that much. Lower torque curves are better for accelerating on woodgas. That’s why the Dakotas do well… lots of torque down low, and not too heavy.

As far as power per cubic inch, that has gone up significantly over time. Modern engines are more and more efficient and have higher compression ratios. It’s not a fair comparison to take a 1977 Dodge 5.2L engine making 145 hp and 245 ft/lbs and put it against a 2004 5.3L LS motor making 295 hp and 335 ft/lbs.

2 Likes

Good morning all,

I don’t want to hyjack Mr. Tom thread but I wanted to through a few pics up.

Two trucks with the same motor and I think the same HP.

One truck goes fast and the other one goes .

On the open road wind drag is a big factor .

3 Likes

On a simular note too Tom, Chris, and Wayne, Don manns, what would you say would be the mpg if hybriding in wood gas on a port fuel injected s10 2.4 motor,and still not loose too much power,when in hurry too move faster than don manns tracker,1.6 motor ? THANKS :fuelpump:

1 Like

If I remember correctly, Carl Zinn said he hybrid drove with his dakota pulling a trailer and got 40 miles per gallon

1 Like

Going to Argos in May (800+ miles) required 800# wood, and I think 15 gal of gasoline. A fair amount of hybrid was done.

1 Like

Thanks carl, I thought it was 80 mpg ,Is that your lowest seting for hybrid driving ? so maybe 50 mpg or so pulling loaded trailer driveing at a fast freeway speed,THANKS

Hi don, on the subject of weight vs HP,what would you say yours weighs with the set up you have, and how often do you need too hybrid too keep out of the way and maintain 55 MPH, My s10 with the 4 cyl.weighs about 2800 without any weight added.And are you satisfied with the take off speed VS miles per pound of wood,or would you rather build with bigger motor.THANKS

Maybe we should split off a “Power to weight ratio” thread…

Could yous please help me translate my door sticker? Google searching said it should have a “curb weight” of about 3,700 lbs. Door tag says:

“GAWR FRONT 3400LB GAWR REAR 3850 LB” and then "GVWR 5960

Is that (maximum total weight front axle), (maximum total weight rear axle), (maximum total weight for whole vehicle)?

@Chris picture stuck at 100% with text. Had to Cut text, upload picture to a blank post, and Paste text back in to work.

Max weight your vehicle can be register for

Yes. That’s not the “curb weight”. You’ll have to run to the dump or somewhere that has scales.

Not sure on the photo thing, it works fine here up to about 4-5 MB. If you reduce the megapixels on your phone camera, that will help.

power to weight ratio is definataly important I have tried to explain this to some and you can see there eyes glaze over like explaining octane . anyway I have been pleased with the my build the Dakotas appear to do better so this winter instead of trying for more power I will first lighten the load . pull of any thing not needed or used or try to find lighter materials.

1 Like

Kevin, the Tracker weighs 2740 lbs. without my fat butt riding in it. I try to not jump out on to a road in front of traffic and give myself time to get up to speed and if I drive like that I never use hybrid. Sometime I want to try Wayne’s method of turning the gasoline on while running woodgas and gradually close the air so the computer thinks it is running rich and shuts the gasoline way down. Don’t know it that will work on the Tracker though. I don’t do much freeway driving anyway.

1 Like

Thanks too all are questians,and Don Manns,thanks for building the tracker,and sharing the results,I think the port injected toyota is my best bet for next build,due too i rarely drive on the freeway over 50 mph anyway.And your distingwished build, That is open too see in the premium section at Drive on wood.If needed for extra power hybriding can be tweeked and tuned, Thanks

I love trying to explain octane to someone. It is like there whole world is crushed before there eyes.

1 Like

All in all i Would like too install a 454 chevy or 455 olds motor in my s10.i just cant afford one at this time, and i might be tempted too smoke the tires too often anyway.And then i would likely burn a lot of gas when wood ran out.

3 Likes

The V8 S10 that I have for sale weighs 3060 lbs. inc. gasifier

3 Likes

Hi Peter Coronis,is that weight including the gasifier, just curios, i dont know if i seen your s10,Do you have a pic of it,THANKS

1 Like

Hi Peter C the s10 is a true work of art, you must have did quite a bit of fabrication before this build, I am truly surprised at how well you built the s10 and still keep it that light, Nice Job.I will have too use the 2.4 motor i have for now.Though what are you asking for the s10,Thanks

1 Like

Hi Don Manns,I seen your 1.6 1995 motor running like a champ under wood gas geo tracker on YOU TUBE,and first drive after dist,advance,If that little motor runs about that powerfull most the time, i can live with that power to weight rational,Thanks That would be about like my toyota pickup 1985 22re motor in a 3600 OR 3700 pound s10 with junk yard steel,no fancy weight reduction other than smaller barrows,tubes ect.after gasified.

1 Like