Recumbent bike with motorized gas trailer

This gas cooler is essential because the gas generator is very high in temperature, and it is essential to cool the gas for the densified and have more explosive power, the air resistance of the horn is not important , I’m only going to roll around 30km / h, but I’m going to put a cone for the air intake of the gasifier, it helps a lot for a smooth running of regularity.

photo of 2013 with gasifier cone.

8 Likes

Wow, i want to see a video…

2 Likes

I have to finish the recumbent bike to get a video when I do tests.

5 Likes

Ha! Ha! Once again you are showing your true-metals worker grinder sparks DOers damaged coat. A man gloves, shoes/boots, pants and hands . . .
More valid than a brainiac’s jabber do-not’s words and written/posted articles.

best regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes

I am so proud that Stéve U sent me a message that I wanted to keep it as long as possible …

here is a picture of the air inlet, the gas outlet, and an envelope that receives the exhaust gas, I think that with this device, the air of the gaso will be well warmed up.

10 Likes

A perspective of the gas bike, for the competition, the bottom of the volumes is 5 cm from the ground, maybe it will be necessary to use the wheels of 28, but I think it has a certain look, and the performance will be true later.

9 Likes

quiz: the lid of the gasifier has a particularity, which?

1 Like

I’m not sure how I feel about the trailer pushing the bike but I really want to see a video or two of this working.

4 Likes

At this moment not the possibility for me to make videos, problem with my cellphone too old, I must have a new one in not long.

No answers for the quiz? …

An important tip for the proper functioning of the gasifier.

Then it is not necessary that all I divulge, it is necessary to leave unknown for the interest of the thing.

2 Likes

I am also a little bit concerned with the physics of this thing. If you are going around a turn and you accelerate, will it want to jack-knife? Also how much does the trailer weigh, and is it going to have its own brakes? Both of those would be concerns to me, but then we have some pretty serious hills here. The gasifier is looking nice though, keep up the good work!

3 Likes

My guess:
Is it clamped/ fastened down from a mechanism on the inside of the drum? :thinking:

For the quiz, I put this diagram to help you.

2 Likes

I just weighed the trailer, 125 KG, the weight of a motorcycle 125 CM3, so I will install two disc brake on the trailer with a piston to the right handle, and to the left handle, the disc brakes bike, let’s not forget that I am 110 kg naked, but the driving will require a lot of attention surely.

5 Likes

It will be fun to see it in action - I am really interested in the idea of building a charcoal powered bike/velocar type of project. Maybe this fall, when I have some more time… If the trailer arrangement proves to be difficult to control, have you thought about just making it into a tricycle? You would probably lose some turning radius, but you might pick up some stability.

3 Likes

François, this build is wery inspirational! I respect you wery much to go ahead and try something new.

I have a question thugh. You mentioned you are planing to burn carbonite. Culd you describe this a bit more? Will wou be making it on your own and how?

4 Likes

Francois,
Does the lid have an intake for primary combustion air, and a heated by the burning carbonite pan of water, to mix steam with the primary air intake?

1 Like

Mike, it is exactly that, but also not limited to water but where also with oil, with the primary air in carbonite gaso will give a syngas of quality. remains to find the settings.

Kristijan,

carbonite is a fuel invented by the Sisteron ironworks in France, between the two world wars, in the first war, thanks to the participation of the US and the hydrocarbons that you made us benefited and fed the first tanks, we have won the conflict, which showed that oil was first class in case of conflict, so our chemist developed the carbonite, our national fuel French.

here is a wood distillation method, so we get the wood tar, then mix it with the pulverized coal, of the order of 30% tar and 70% coal dust, we compress balls of 13 at 15 MM and in oxygen-free media in an oven, the remaining water is evaporated, so that we have a fuel of the order of 8000 calories and a density around one tonne per m3,

which does not evaporate unlike gasoline, advantage in hot countries.

one kg of carbonite is equivalent to one liter of gasoline.

a big view to get an idea.

6 Likes

Francois,
As Kristijan asked also, will you make your own carbonite, or purchase ready-made carbonite? The closest thing we have in the USA is charcoal “briquettes” for outdoor picnic grilling! they are composed of charcoal dust and small pieces, compressed and bonded somehow into small squares, approx. 4 cm by 4 cm by 2.5 cm thickness, depending on the manufacturer

2 Likes

mike,
carbonite has an ash content of 2%, whereas commercially available charcoal briquettes use corn starch, wheat or potato to aglomerate with ash much higher, in the beginning, I will use the briquette cut into 15mm pieces, it does not have the density of the carbonite, then after the tests, I will make my own carbonite with a steel rod in a tube where on the bottom of the rod and make the tube, there will be the footprint of the ball of 15mm, I will put a quantity of predefined product then with a hammer I will compress the ball, then I effected a drying in the sun while waiting for find an industrial solution.

7 Likes

Kingsford charcoal briquettes contain the following ingredients:
wood char, mineral char, mineral carbon, limestone, starch, borax, sodium nitrate, sawdust.

3 Likes