Red bear, long grass mower on charcoal gas

Giorgio, generaly, dry charcoal is used in updraft versions and wet charcoal in fowndraft versions. What you say about filtrability is true, moisture hlps but will make slightly weaker gas as, in order to have water droplets in warm gas under slight vacuum (super saturated), l think l once calculated the ampunt of gaseous water in the gas is 10%!

With a wood gasifier, we rely on the ash cone to protect us aginst tar flowing behind the nozzles. Ash mixed with charcoal fines insulates and seals everything.

5 Likes

Giorgio, I have in mind minor changes in the construction of the gasifier, which will allow the production of a larger surface area for the production of the heat exchanger, possibly even simpler assembly of parts, I will try to draw a sketch.

I will use a standard 200 l barrel, inside a standard 115 l, nozzles on top 10 pcs 5mm at a distance of approx. 30 cm, offset to the taper approx. 20 cm, the bottom nozzle will have a 6mm inlet and 6 openings of 4mm…I will specify the exact dimensions after production and performance test.

6 Likes

the mower comes in work again…

a bit lazy at starting, maybee because of too dry coal…? a week ago produced in the bread oven…

horse hair filter, gas entrance

gas exit side
always new fascinating running engines on chargas…

9 Likes

Giorgio, you have me interested in the horse hair filter. I know a dog groomer and I might try to utilize dog hair.

7 Likes

i will try also sheepwool how tone does, but since they have introduced wolfs here, there are no sheeps more…only one, but antipathic neighbour has, but not like ask him

8 Likes

I have a dog hair filter Cody. works fine. Hair is hair. Of course it’s been about 40 years since I personally produced any.

12 Likes

Confucious say “man bald in front is thinker: man bald in back is lover; man bald in front and back thinks he is lover” :grinning:

14 Likes

update to the dust trap…
as on little mobile engines is difficult to make big volume filters, i built a kind of dust trap…this works really fine till this summer. the engine has had no power more when the dust trap cloggs up, what before not was so…what has happened?
the dust trap ia built in a way that the net stripes, what builds the roll, dont touch closely at the bottom and on top, in way that the gas, when a part of the net is full of dust, can find another way to go forward…
so, as i have leather gaskets between filter basement (one) and filter holder and between filter housing (one), were the dust trap is located inside,this leather gaskets got pressed by the dust trap and filter housing screw, the small distance between net stripes and dust trap bottom and upper part exists not more, and the gas flow becomes partially blocked…the solution was to add a ring disc between the holder screw, so the pressure on the stripes not exists more and the gas can escape again free…

10 Likes

7 Likes

historic gasifier? maybee, because till all is finished, it gets automatically historic…

9 Likes

8 Likes

the mower gasifier got a bigger volume hair filter in updraft modus…

7 Likes

nice flame

13 Likes

after nearly 4 hours blackberry cutting , some art pictures from the gasifier hearth…

15 Likes

recently the big brother of the red bear mower - a bcs mower - arrived here…after a lot of cleaning he looks like half new…got also new “shoes”, airless type, made from old tractor tires…
also the little dog seems interested…
i think this mower will become a good chargas candidate, gasoline engine (no petrol), 13 hp,
in the moment it makes no spark , i think because of corrosion in the ignition system, and also has no compression, because of the exhaust valve, what is rusted in open position since the mower was moved last time about 20 years ago…
the mower was placed in a old cow stable, where the roof is near to fall down…the uric acides of the stone floor has provocated some rust on the cutting device…
the neighbour has had two mowers, booth not running more…he offered me one, if i bring the other to run again…what at least has happened (recently some fotos in “live goes on” from the neighbours mowers…)
happiness on both parts…
always more projects, but this should be soon finished, because i will use the gasifier of the red bear mower on it…one for two…

17 Likes

Bolt-on tires—I like it!

10 Likes

Great idea Giorgio, I will remember this for a project or two which I put on hold because of bad tires in a size unavaliable these days :smiley:
Did you fill the groove in the rim with anything?

7 Likes

Giorgio you are a real make dooer i love your machine builds and how you manage to work around every stumbling block that gets in your way i only wish i was closer to you all in Europe ,what a great driving holiday that would make visiting you , and everyone else
Dave

17 Likes

Looks good! Just a few tips; try to keep the weight on the left side. Originaly its not ballanced perfectly and a weight of the gasifier on left sided actualy make it perform better.
When you open up the notor, it realy makes a huge difference if you grind down the engine head. Tone did mine on the lathe but lm sure you can do it on a flat surface with a big sheet of corse sandpaper rather quickly.
Those are kerosene engines, wery low compression…

13 Likes

johan, yes i filled the groves also with stripes made from tractor tires ( those are without steel inside!)

7 Likes