Red bear, long grass mower on charcoal gas

Your work is excellent giorgio. So well thought out. Those lid hold downs are also kind of ingenious.

13 Likes

Giorgio, does it have enaugh power to mow nicely?

How many kw you got out of the generator?

12 Likes

Giorgio, excellent work. I can’t help but smiling - you seem to have a good supply of ss :grin:

13 Likes

Giorgio, whats the blue housing under the scythe lever for? I dont have that on myne

8 Likes

tom, the lids of the filters i can turn nearly in every position, this is a big advantage when connecting rubber hoses on different engines with the same gasifier…

12 Likes

kristijan, yes it mows fine and also has power…where i tried yesterday the grass is not so high because of much trees , it is a neighbours field or better woodland…in a week or so i will begin with hay on our fields…this year is a nice grass because of plenty of rain in the last month…
how much kw?
i would give the question to another expert of slovenia…you know.
he can calculate this things better, i am really stupid with electric stuff, must learn more…
i will fix the generator on a kind of slide with a motor and gasifier, in way i can bring it also to difficult places in the forest for electric chainsaw cutting…and for welding of course…
the blue housing under the lever for the scythe is where the racing cart is fixed to the mower

12 Likes

jan, i have only some flat ss sheet bought on market place for used stuff, except some pipes i must bend it mostly for different stuff like filter housings ecc…not always easy…would be nice to have a roller sometimes, but bending around round stuff like propan tanks or iron piping works also…i have a good assistent.

11 Likes

The Acme engine is 488 cc and has a nominal gasoline power of 12 ps at 3000 rpm, which is 8.8 kW. Giorgio improved the CR a bit by replacing the head gasket, so probably this old engine would reach these values without problems, well, running on charcoal gas it would definitely reach at least half the rated power, but I believe the power could also be 5kW. Such a generator from an asynchronous motor with a nominal power of 5kW can produce approx. 4 - 4.5 kW of power after three phases, but more than 2kW per phase (electric chainsaw 2.4 kW works at full power),… Older welding machine of the classic design, connected to such a generator, represents a rather large additional inductive load, so that it is not possible to weld on one phase (which requires at least 2-3 kW of power, but it is good to have 4 kW available), but if we use two phases, but it can be welded nicely, I tested this on a similar generator.

To summarize some information:

• engine with a working volume of 500 cc achieves a power of 5 kW at 3000 rpm on wood gas (charcoal gas)
  • an asynchronous electric motor with a power of 5 kW - 3000 rpm needs a 3 x 50-60 uF capacitor for excitation and thus produces a power of 4 - 4.5 kW
14 Likes

…indeed the chainsaw runs strong…oak wood

14 Likes

the first bcs mower from 1945

17 Likes

found a voltmeter …can be useful for the generator

9 Likes

Test it for accuracy. There is usually a way to adjust it.

5 Likes

That’s a beautiful meter movement. It’s a bit higher than I prefer for generator voltage. Several times in my life, I became the shortest path to ground for 120 vac. I have not gotten used to it yet. I’m happy to live where 120 volts is the highest I’m likely to, umm, experience. Maybe the rare 240 volt appliance. I’m a big fan of 24 vdc, since I don’t conduct very well at that voltage :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes