Brush off the cobwebs…
This project has been stalled out for a LONG time. Long story short, I had the trans rebuilt but had a problem reinstalling it. The torque converter must not have been clicked in all the way. Like a real dummy, I cranked down the bolts to draw it down. Broke one corner of the bell housing. Ouch.
Eventually I bought a TIG welder, leaned to use it, and some time after that I managed to weld the piece back on. It came out well enough. But as life continued to shift into high gear, I simply ran out of time and energy on this project. The transmission spent about 6 months sitting on the jack, under the truck, until I finally had to admit that I wasn’t going to find the time to re-install it.
Part of the problem of working on this has been getting the truck high up in the air, in my driveway. This is a very heavy 454 in a full size Chevy. Without a lift, your options are pretty limited. So, it sat.
A couple weeks ago, we got a letter from the city of Frankfort that we were violating certain “nuisance codes” including my wood pile, trailers, and the broken truck. Yes, they really can come after you for your vehicle not running. So, I called a local shop to tow it out, put the transmission in, and get this thing moving again, literally. Two days later, it’s ready for pickup.
So, I’ll have a running truck in the driveway (at the farm!) by tonight. There are still a lot of things it needs, but at least I can drive it, and therefore register it.
This project just rumbled back to life.