Rindert's small engine wood gasifier

They’re made of sheet steel, looks like 14ga or maybe 12ga. I would put it in to build up ash. They’re about 8" at the bead seat and 6" in the center, I had thought about using one in a 9" diameter tube.

2 Likes

I did not want to be a party pooper but I kind of that that was going to happen.

The binder is designed to be flexable and allow some stretch and shock resistence.
Its probably something with a rubbery quality to it that melts.

But it could have gone the other way…
Somethings you would never expect like never seize will become super glue when heated beyond what they were designed to do.

It could have gone one way or the other.
Might turn out there are some good binders out there that don’t; degrade but cook down to super glow too…

8 Likes

Right. Morgan makes silicone carbide foundry crucibles. Sometimes when you get one that has too much glaze on the outside it will run down and stick the crucible to the stool. Makes an orange hot gooey mess you don’t want to deal with. Others make SiC thermocouple sheaths. I think if one were to cut the end off one of them it would make a good nozzle. I just have to find the right shape in a high temp application. The right Leggo… :rofl:
Rindert

5 Likes

You never know unless you try Rindert. For a stationary system where a little extra weight is not a problem I think refractory is a good material. I used it as the base for my reactor in my first unit and it has held up fine. I would be good if you could find a way to reinforce your present restriction to see what could be done with that kind of material.

8 Likes

I was intriged to see the castable refractory. I wonder if anyone has tried ceramic sandblaster nozzles for air nozzles?
Kent

4 Likes

Some of us have been using these for nozzles Kent. The will slide tight into an inch and a half sch 40 coupling. Aussie Dave has been using the same nozzle for years without any problems.

8 Likes

The ones I had were a press fit into 1.25" sch40 pipe. Maybe they vary in thickness. I also filed away the weld rib left on the inside of the pipe.

This stuff is so tough it actually shaved away the high spots in the pipe. Pretty nuts.

5 Likes

If you can’t find anything ideal for a restriction I can always search for some of my spare bearing races. Weld them together, very high quality steel and fairly thick.

4 Likes

Hi Rindert, this will be my limitation, the bearing ring welded to the plate, just like Cody says

9 Likes

Must be, Cody because the four I bought are all 1-7/16 OD. You do have to grind down the threads on the coupling a little to get it in.

3 Likes

Thanks Cody, but I have a huge pile of scrap. I’m sure I have some bearing races in there. But thanks for the tip.
Rindert

5 Likes

A while back I bought some Chinese made INCONEL alloy barb fittings on Aliexpress.
They were dirt cheap and functional.

Think I can find more now?
( probably a supply chain issue since the best alloys are made from electrolitic or better and these days they made more Pig nickel than anything else in China and India )

3 Likes

Like X750? (20 characters)

1 Like

Here I am trying to use @KristijanL’s idea of a nozzle ring that can be raised and lowered, by cutting and rewelding a pipe. [Ref] I have angled the nozzles so that they create a whirlpool. The idea is to use the momentum of combustion air to make a larger volume reaction zone during high flow conditions. It is hoped that this will reduce the formation of clinkers, which are ashes that have melted and fused together. Has anyone tried this before?
Rindert

15 Likes

Good idea to put stones on that paper to keep it from swirling away! :laughing:

14 Likes

I like your idea on paper, but now fill it with pieces of charcaol every where. It might stop the swirling action because of charcoal obstructions. Or maybe not, the swirl will just move slower in that direction going around the pieces of charcoal.
Bob

7 Likes

Yes, true, It will not be exactly the way I imagine it. And everything is happening in 3D, so even more difficult to imagine correctly, And I angled the nozzles upward slightly to help prevent bridging so even more difficult to visualize. But even so I think the reaction zone will get bigger with higher air flow. and smaller with lower.
Rindert

7 Likes

It’s worth a shot, will it be removable for maintenance or welded in?

4 Likes

Removable.I’m planning to make so the nozzle ring, the restriction, and the grate can all be taken out and cleaned, inspected repaired/modified whatever. I’ll make a sketch tomorrow. Tired.
Rindert

10 Likes

Hi All,
Here I have drawn up the idea of a nozzle ring. I have also tried to use char and ash as insulation so that the fire tube will not need to be cooled. If this works I think it will save a lot of weight and labor. This particular design would use an 18" water heater tank. Which I presume most people in the US would not have much trouble finding. The nozzle ring can be raised or lowered by cutting and welding the stand pipe. It also uses a spiral heat exchanger that I was able to make. It looks complicated but actually wasn’t that hard. See Spiral Path Heat Exchangers. I’ll try steel nozzles first then maybe go to hexaloy (silicone carbide) depending.
Constructive comments welcome.
Rindert

7 Likes