Rindert's small engine wood gasifier

That looks really nice Rindert, i really like the “vortex” nozzle ring, looking forward to hear about the progress :smiley:

6 Likes

That heat exchanger looks awesome, but will this system be designated for low flow small engines, so as not to coat the heat exchanger with soot? And how will you be able to keep the heat exchanger clean is there a clean out port or someway to get compressed air in there to blow it off?

5 Likes

Good point marcus, everytime i thinks that i have a better way ill check on this forum. Find where Wayne or somebody has tried it with bad results. I’m optimistic that one or more of my ideas will be better but for now hats off to you that have gone before

3 Likes

That’s a really good question Marcus. Years ago I raised a similar question and @k_vanlooken pointed me to old data about steam boiler tubes and the velocity of gases needed to keep them free of dust. So… I thought I should make the top cover removable and put a clean out port at the bottom. Maybe that whole structure will function as a cyclone filter, which might not be bad if there’s a way to clean it out from the bottom. I’m hoping the spiral shaped fin will keep itself clean just by centrifugal effect. I imagine that condensate mixed with dust is going to make a gooey mess in there so I might have to insulate the outer shell. But maybe that cake of soot inside the shell will act as insulation so I won’t have to. And maybe the soot cake will restrict the passages just enough in certain areas to where velocity will increase to the point where no more cake forms. That’s the best case scenario. This is a big experiment. I’ll see how it goes.
Rindert

5 Likes

I think with it being gas that comes directly from the reactor you won’t have much condensate issues. Maybe dampened at startup and then boiled away.

3 Likes