Screw Wood Chunker?

For not Obelix people that means half of it?

10 Likes

That looks like it works really well.
I have had that thought too to use these for chunking a while back but the ones I have seen around here are not that sturdy at all, yours even has removeable shears/knives.

Around here they look like this

and I donā€™t think that this would work as good as the one you have there :grinning:

9 Likes

Tone, you make it seem easy. It is not. I have run this mechine a lot for cuting straw for horses and l know well it requires some stamina. But its actualy a good aerobic workout, something that l noticed l neglect alot.

16 Likes

special nice machine, toneā€¦espescially the broad wheel is here not to findā€¦good for flat beltā€¦be careful with your backā€¦
ciao giorgio

8 Likes

when my fiat in near future not like to start, i call tone for crankingā€¦!!!

13 Likes

Giorgio, your Fiat has a dynamo for electricity, there are combined dynamos that also work as an electric motor, I happen to have one at homeā€¦

Well, jokingly (or not), I would come with Kristjan to the launch presentation of your tractor. :woozy_face::grin:

12 Likes

tone, i have also this kind of starter-motor, dynamo from a old piaggio-ape three wheelā€¦
for me but cranking without battery is important for crisis resistant vehicleā€¦so it must go without ā€¦i think it will start easy, the motorcultivator starts immediately with chargas, at half lenght of the starter rope
my neighbour told me there was long time ago here a heavy diesel chain tractor, with an little additional gasoline motor for starting, there were no batteries after the warā€¦
in woodgas this solution but would need two gasifiers, one big for the tractors engine, and one small for the starter engineā€¦

6 Likes

John Deere had ā€˜ponyā€™ motors that were used for starting their bigger diesel tractors. Basically, you started up the pony, it heated up the diesel fuel, and it cranked the diesel engine. Alternatively, you could start a small tractor, and attach a belt to it. I think they had an electric start option but they were finicky enough it was common to drain the battery, and not get them started which of course meant the batteries deteriorated quickly. You could hand crank them, but you basically had to be an ox because they could take a minute of cranking to get started.

6 Likes

There are good solutions,ā€¦

12 Likes

wow, tone, very interesting!
this would be a good solution for my hanomag ā€¦5,2 liter engineā€¦otherwise needs always 2 batteriesā€¦would be nice to find a used starter in this wayā€¦new is expensive, i thinkā€¦

6 Likes

don`t know if all have seen also the other film with the starterā€¦?
i am not a fan of tanks, but impressive to start such a big engine by hand!
but generally with this starter a battery for the glow plugs is needed?
or can be started also without glow plugs??

9 Likes

Giorgio I think it would only work on a hot day without glow plugs. My Kubota starts during the summer and spring, but in winter I definitely have to cycle my glow plugs.

Ether spray could help it start.

8 Likes

Little bit of canned consent does wonders for a cold diesel, no glow plugs needed just a quick snort and they are usually good to go

8 Likes

Canned consent. Thats a first :smile:

Giorgio, instead of glowplugs a torch or any flame realy at the intake can do the job.

Decompressors do wondersā€¦ l dont have it on my tractor but wuld need it for sure. If l ever get a secong head l will install one. Just a lever pushing on the exhaust valve.

11 Likes

I believe the Aussies have a similar product and Iā€™m quoting called ā€œstartyabasteredā€

10 Likes

Yes indeed we do , remembering the first time i ever went into a store and uttered those words to the shop assistant .

16 Likes

Glad to still see some meaty language in todays world of castrated wimps :smile:

13 Likes

I think thatā€™s the only reason why my Chinese single cylinder diesel will cold start. It has a decompression lever.

I tried the rope start and only got it to fire one time, with a friend sitting in the lawn tractor I was testing it in. Needless to say I just use the electric start, a motorcycle battery is plenty for that little guy.

12 Likes

https://www.agriaffaires.it/usato/trattori-epoca/11618061/fiat-40boghetto.html
my son found this foto ā€¦we spoke about diesel start without glow plugsā€¦
this traktor is obviously a diesel, and seems have also spark plugsā€¦as starting help??
who can explainā€¦

on this foto is to see the tractor has hand crankā€¦

8 Likes

Georgio some American equipment manufacrturers did develop starting on gasoline with spark. Then after engine fully warmed up switching to diesel fuel for working.
Thus gave better really cold weather starting.
International Harvester Corporation was the most well know, doing this.
Complex system with in their cylinder heads with a for-gasoline compression reducing sub-chamber and a mechanical mechanism to close that off, disable the sparks for higher compression diesel operating.

ā€œI thinkā€ your FIAT is this starting/warming up, on gasoline system.
Regards
Steve Unruh

13 Likes