Selection and construction of a coal generator for boats

I will speak in the native language. Everything will be visually clear:
Газовый генератор необходим для дальних походов по реке Лена, где нет заправок, но много леса. Фото о дровах и способ получения угля в походе, будут летом. Мой выбор между горизонтальным и прямым способом газификации древесного угля.
Аэродинамика и термодинамика генератора.
Aerodynamics and thermodynamics of the generator.

Генератор необходим для этой лодки:
The generator is required for this boat:

Генератор должен обеспечивать 10 часов непрерывной работы без дозаправки.
The generator must provides 10 hours of continuous operation without refueling.
Рассматриваю три схемы:
I consider three schemes:

Красные стрелки = 16.7 м/сек.
Темно синие = 0.1 м/сек.
Red arrows = 16.7 m / s.
Dark blue = 0.1 m / sec.

Визуализация прямого GG сделана турбулентным потоком. С учетом температуры и угля. Ошибка будет, если делать ламинарный расчет. В Интернете рисунки ламинарные, для пустых GG!!!
> Direct visualization of the GG made a turbulent flow. With respect to temperature and coal. The error will be, if you do laminar calculation. Online drawings laminar, empty GG!!! :camera:

No comments:

3 Likes

Translation below by Google for all of us language handicapped Americans. I for one have great respect for anyone who speaks more then one language it is something I have never been able to master.

The gas generator is required for long hikes along the Lena River, where there are no gas stations, but a lot of wood. Photos of wood, and a method of producing coal in the campaign, will be in the summer. My choice between the horizontal and direct way of gasification of charcoal.
Aerodynamics and thermodynamics of the generator.

6 Likes

Looks a tiny bit familiar… :grin:

But anyway… 10 hours of running time is about 50 liters of fuel volume , 60 cm above the nozzles…, = fire tube 60 cm + 10 cm below nozzles +tank 50 liters.
38 cm Diameter of tank , height 50 cm

Total height, 120 cm

First stage filter = cyclone, second stage steel wool, 3th stage fibre

2 Likes

Koen, Ваши данные полностью совпали с моими расчетами. Я учитываю Ваш опыт. Чертежи в масштабе и емкость бункера 50 литров + емкость реактора. Зона восстановления не менее 600 мм. по Науке. Следите и поправляйте, исправляйте. Я не Бог.
Koen, Your data completely coincided with my calculations. I consider Your experience. Drawings in scale and hopper capacity of 50 litres + capacity of the reactor. A recovery zone not less than 600 mm. on Science. Watch and recover, restore. I am not God.

Все мне нравится в прямом генераторе, за исключением одного: он высокий. Это поднимает центр тяжести судна и снижает его устойчивость. Это хорошо, что много водорода и высокая калорийность рабочего газа. Наши березки тоже очень богатые калориями, даже слишком богатые. Koen сделал огромную работу и все правильно. Я, пока, не вижу ошибок в генераторе Koen. Буду смотреть на поперечный и вертикально - обратный ГГ, а потом приму решение. Увижу и теплопередачу.
Everything I like live generator, except for one thing: he’s tall. This raises the center of gravity of the vessel and decreases its stability. It’s good that a lot of hydrogen and higher calorific value of the working gas. Our birch is also very rich in calories, even too rich. Koen did a great job and everything is correct. I still do not see errors in the generator Koen. Will look at transverse and vertically - reverse GG, and then make a decision. See and heat transfer.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting.

I need to work on reading and understanding.

I have to ask a stupid question now.
GG means what? ( ГГ с боковым )

Reactor with side exit… but what does the Two letter Gamma mean?

1 Like

ГГ = GG = gas generator. Yes, with Central and side outlet :ship:.

2 Likes

Визуализация продувки турбулентным потоком.
Visualization purge turbulent flow.

GG gas generator.

I feel silly now.
Thanks…

Далее :
Визуализация продувки турбулентным потоком. Правильно с углем в реакторе.
Further :
Visualization purge turbulent flow. Correctly with the coal in the reactor.

Компактный и быстрый, как мои кроссовки, но грязный и горячий, как моя душа.
Compact and fast as my sneakers, but dirty and hot as my soul.

The following :

Hi Aleksandr, Looks like another charcoal gasifier will soon be comming on line :grinning: Got to love that charcoal. Really nice animations but I think you are showing more turbulence than will actually happen. Between the nozzle and the gas outlet the gas will be moving in a more direct path and not swirling as much as shown. This means you must have adequate space between the nozzle and gas outlet to allow for a sufficient amount of charcoal to reduce the carbon dioxide into carbon monoxide. Why not put the gas outlet at the top of the gasifier, far away from the nozzle? This will ensure a large bed of carbon dioxide reducing charcoal and even lessen the temperature of the outlet gas.
Cool boat. That would be a fun craft to gasify and look forward to what you accomplish,
Gary in PA

3 Likes

You’re in a hurry, dear Gary. Computer long considers the reactor with virtual coal. Wait. Be careful, read, watch. With coal showed only the direct GG.

Gary in PA, схема имеет ограничение на длину активной зоны. Иначе, он не будет поперечным газогенератором. Он имеет меньше Н2, чем ГГ прямой схемы и вода - пар бесполезны. Надо заводить выхлопные газы ДВС на вход ГГ. Много можно говорить еще, но он мне не нравится.
Gary in PA, the scheme has a limit on the length of the active zone. Otherwise, it will not cross the gas generator. It has less H2 than GG upright and water - vapor useless. It is necessary to have the exhaust gases of the internal combustion engine to the input of GG. A lot to say yet, but I do not like.

Мое решение: делать буду ГГ прямой схемы газификации.
My solution: I will do GG direct gasification plan.

Will continue his study.

Why go with such a tall design when you have a limitation of height?

I had a similar problem with my Seat. The height of the gasifier was limited to 50cm so l made 4 nozzles in series and made a wide hopper instead of a high one.

Вы не представляете, как глубоко все продумал Коен. Советовать будет Коен… Ограничение не страшно. Можно, осторожно.
You have no idea how deeply thought of everything Cohen. Advise will be Koen. The restriction is not scary. You can, carefully.

Высоту активной зоны - (реактора) определяет реакция восстановления. Длина не менее 500-600 мм. Здесь мы получаем Н2 и охлаждаем газ. Мне это важно, экономия.
The height of the active zone (reactor) determines recovery reaction - (reduction zone). The minimum length of 500-600 mm. Here we get H2 and cooled gas. It’s important to me that saving.

Два дня поджигать уголь + 2 дня, разгораться костер + 4 дня, анализ компьютер … , если компьютер не сгорит.
Two days to set fire to coal + 2 days, to ignite the fire + 4 days, analysis of the computer … if the computer will not burn.

1 Like

4 Likes

silica slag from bamboo and elevated temperature

3 Likes

Language is Dutch or German now?

You know this thread is very interesting.

I wish I had something to contribute.

3 Likes

Спасибо, Koen! Больше нет напряжения и не потею.
Danke Koen. Mehr keine Spannung und nicht schwitze.

Вечером замутил на четыре опытных образца.
In the evening fouled on four prototypes.

После обжига диаметр увеличивается на 0,1 мм. Сырое.
After firing, the diameter increases by 0,1 mm. Raw.

6 Likes

That is a good idea to heat like that and measure expansion.
Это хорошая идея, чтобы тепло, как и измерить расширение.

3 Likes