Small or home made sawmills

Yes, it’s a shame that the steel wheels are so expensive, and driving the log back and forth takes a bit more space.
I found rubber bands for steel wheels, may be it would be better to put around the tires I have.

4 Likes

These are available here. Fill the groove with a piece of belt. I’ve seen a few youtube builds using these. Cheaper than the new motorcycle tires I ended up putting on my mill.

6 Likes

Yes, it was actually not that dangerous price, what do you think about having bands like this on regular wheels?

https://www.amazon.se/ACOKU-gummiband-bandsågsmaskin-Gummiring-rullhjul/dp/B0BZCHYCRP/ref=mp_s_a_1_157?crid=19AP9T2NUDNSH&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.lZWKKZ7N48u1tWv487u6a_bZvqgueoK3IwFjARDe4gs94KZeKxF_Y9KFmKWUEJeuGoOzFdR7cZjVeHaAdxXbtz065Dmv9LLbeawP1JGh9SSQlDvEH7zlHI3JB2it0G73fMhKLdOj2cc47IQzWCrtAw.KpnAV4E_IY0C3RyHTwzjyca5ErPKcnl3DipUKDsGevo&dib_tag=se&keywords=Bandsåg+rullhjul+gummiring%2C+50cm&qid=1713938514&sprefix=bandsåg+rullhjul+gummiring+50cm%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-157

4 Likes

What do you mean by “over regular wheels?” Are you talking about putting the bands over your tires? They would have to be a tight fit. The Delta saw wheels would be great but too much money. I think there must be a supplier of large pullies in Sweden with wheels like the surplus center ones. Or I would have Tone make me some since he can build just about anything. :star_struck:
I originally had different tires on my mill but I went to a whole lot of trouble grinding a flat spot in the center of them and then trying to bend a piece of aluminum angle around the tires for a back stop for the blade. Turned out to be a big clusterfruck and I had to scrap them and buy new tires which I installed and left alone. No problems with them stock. The motorcycle tires do have a pretty good crown in them though. I don’t know if a car tire would take the set out of the blade or not but I’ve seen a lot of youtubes of people using them just fine.

4 Likes

Ok, I’m waiting for a trapezoid thread that I ordered, will try if it works to tighten the band better first.
The bands that I showed are apparently very tight, you have to put them in boiling water and then they should be able to push through, they are stuck without glue.

5 Likes

When I escape from the crazy world to my workshop, I think about the gasifier and other constructions. Today was a rainy day and I made some progress on making a circular saw for cutting boards lengthwise

21 Likes

@tone with all you do, I am surprised you ever leave your workshop. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Nice job Tone! Woodworking equipment still scares me :grinning:. If I made a construction like that, the saw would certainly start his own path, brrr. But you are Tone, not going to happen :grinning:.

Nice motor too, good find!

10 Likes

I had a few different varnishes for metal in stock, and I mixed them together and painted them structurally

cable guide

easy lifting mechanism and wheels to move the structure

20 Likes

Wait what?! A tool you don’t have?! Is that true?! I thought for sure you had an industrial powder coating oven somewhere in your castle. :rofl:

9 Likes

I already knew you were a skilled fabricator, Tone. Looking at this saw only confirms my previous understanding. Very nice.
The electric motor looks a bit odd to me - longer than usual. Is there a brake involved?

12 Likes

Sean ,…It must be a joke,… maybe I didn’t write the best about mixing colors, well, I had various leftovers of different colors in cans that I didn’t want to throw away, but I poured them into one container and mixed them…
JO, thanks. This motor is specially designed for the direct drive of cutting tools or other transmissions where space is limited, the housing is iron and very compact,… the power is 3 kW, 2900 rpm , without brake

16 Likes

Sorry, It was completely a joke. It actually looks really good and had this sheen like it was powder coated and professionally done, which is what made me think of it. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

that’s how it works

19 Likes

That is great Tone, are you making dimensional lumber with that saw or is it wedge sawn to get the most out of every board?
I ask since it seemed you were eyeballing where to place the board on the saw bench.

Plus, I think you have to clean out the raingutters often there… :smile:

13 Likes

That is an excellent tool Tone. Very impressed as usual. Looks like plenty of power if you wanted to add some blades and make a gang saw.

14 Likes

Nice saw! Nice summer haircut too!

17 Likes

hello guys
I have a question. I have had a “woodland mills” sawmill for several years which has done very little work. The centrifugal clutch broke recently and I was thinking of replacing it or modifying the belt drive to a tension release clutch. In your experience which option would be the most advantageous?

7 Likes

A centrifugal clutch allows the motor to idle down while loading logs etc. while a tension clutch would require you to both release the clutch and throttle down and back up the motor or leave the rpm’s high.

10 Likes

Depending on your model the replacement clutch from Woodland Mills is either 80 or 90 dollars U.S. Shipping would be probably much extra. On my home made mill I just have a belt tensioner pulley from a Dodge truck mounted on a pivoting shaft that presses against the blade drive belt and locks in place to drive the blade wheels. It was made from the junk pile and works good for me. No cost, no shipping.

8 Likes